HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:16 PM
Folsom, CA
Joined Nov 2008
3 Posts
Discussion
First take off

What a great hobby. I have met so many nice and helpful people. I have been buddy boxing with an instructor and performed my first take off today. It was great after I got my fingers to stop shaking. Hopefully I will get my first landing next week. I nice that people just welcome me into the group.
bowlboy is offline Find More Posts by bowlboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:25 PM
Joined Jul 2010
119 Posts
Congratulations!

Welcome to the forum. I am still new myself, but I am learning a lot just from reading the discussions in various categories.

A tip for takeoffs: if your nosewheel is not exactly straight, and you have to use a little rudder to steer during the takeoff roll, be prepared to let go of the rudder the instant the nose wheel lifts from the ground. It took me a while to figure out why my takeoffs were consistently veering to the right. It was because the nose wheel was angled a little to the left, I had to hold in right rudder to correct for it, and I wasn't keeping in mind to neutralize it as soon as the plane was off the ground. Now that I've figured that out, my takeoffs are smooth and scale-like.

Landings are fun! You will soon see that a headwind blowing down the runway is your friend. I was practicing landings this evening with almost no wind and having to chop power much sooner than I had become accustomed to.
jbryan80 is offline Find More Posts by jbryan80
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:27 AM
It Flies
Torrance (LA), California/Gainesville, Florida
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Once you get past the phase of being nervous taking off will be like second nature, and then the same for landing ! Have fun and welcome to the hobby.
speedster239 is offline Find More Posts by speedster239
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:59 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Jbryan80....... Why not straighten the nosewheel connection and not worry about holding rudder. Because on landing it will be chore to remember and feed in the proper correction one you touchdown.
MIke
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:19 AM
Joined Jul 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
Jbryan80....... Why not straighten the nosewheel connection and not worry about holding rudder. Because on landing it will be chore to remember and feed in the proper correction one you touchdown.
I have, several times. But even a small impact, even running off the hard runway into the grass, will unset the alignment. I could easily just file a flat spot on the pushrod where the set screw goes, giving it more grip, but I haven't bothered since I'm setting up a new plane, with moving away from the trainer in sight.

I did file a flat spot on the new plane's nosewheel pushrod, and also used a set screw with an Allen head instead of flat-blade, so not only does the screw have a flat area to push against, but I can get the screw tighter due to the screwdriver not slipping.
jbryan80 is offline Find More Posts by jbryan80