HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Oct 2004
44 Posts
20 C and up

you need 20 C or more to drive the RMG. i use a 2s 1350 lipo with a C rating of 25. a 2s 1350 no C rating life would work for a short time then not. unplug, replug and it would work again for a while. ron
ron locke is offline Find More Posts by ron locke
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:29 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I was at the Pond today and one of the guys there suggested I try a 5 cell NiMh or dual LiFe since the voltage out if the 4 cell AA pack I am using now may be too low..for this type of Winch.. I hope they are right.. If not.. I will .. JimS
You need at least 5 volts, absolute minimum! I use a 2s Lipo which is at 8.4V when fully charged, they call it 7.4V, if you go direct to the winch the winch sends out 5V to run the rudder servo and receiver. This may be your problem!!!!!
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:47 PM
Registered User
hiljoball's Avatar
Canada, BC
Joined Jul 2011
408 Posts
Jim,

What Ted said 100%.

Your batteries are at/below the low cut off threshold.

I run a 2S Lipo of 1350 ma and it lasts for about 6 hours of continuous racing.

The RMG likes the voltage but it also likes a strong current. Nimh batteries are marginal. NiCad and Lipo and LiFe are better choices.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
68 Posts
I can agree with John on voltage to a sail winch, this was not to a RMG but a Hitec. I ran a 2S Lipo 1000ma in my ODOM today, breeze on and it did not last more then 2hrs.
Any larger size Lipo would not fit my waterproof box so I'm limited on space.
Nice info guy's, I have learned a lot by reading your posts!!!
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:29 PM
Registered User
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,768 Posts
RMG is rated at max 9v,the closest batt available delivering that voltage would be a 2s LiPo @8.4v fully charged
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:51 AM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Will try a 2 cel Lipo

I was assuming their was no BEC in the RMG to drop the rudder servo and Rx vltg to 5 volts .. Glad to hear that one is in the RMG too..

Avoiding the need for a BEC is part of why I'd be looking at a 6.6vdc A123 or LiFe to avoid the over voltage placed on them and provide the 25C to 30C burst current under load at the same time.. Personally I don't trust Lipos.. Even with a BEC they're too fragile.. Especially if you forget to turn OFF over night. So I'll make sure that fixes it with the 2cell lipo and then probably order or make a dual A123 in series PAC that I can charge more quickly and will handle the surge currrent too. Thanks All
JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
Registered User
8387mike's Avatar
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini13 View Post
I can agree with John on voltage to a sail winch, this was not to a RMG but a Hitec. I ran a 2S Lipo 1000ma in my ODOM today, breeze on and it did not last more then 2hrs.
Any larger size Lipo would not fit my waterproof box so I'm limited on space.
Nice info guy's, I have learned a lot by reading your posts!!!
I run 700mah LiFe and get about 5-6 hours from if, it is only a 2s I would be replacing that battery sounds like it isn't holding its charge any more, Jim LiFe work great we are slowly converting everyone in our club to liFe from lipo but it is up to you. The ones I use are the hobby King ones at about $3-4 each but there are always out of stock.
8387mike is online now Find More Posts by 8387mike
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:36 AM
Registered User
New Zealand, Northland, Kerikeri
Joined May 2011
22 Posts
I use 5 cell 2\3c 1500 mah nimh packs, these easily last 5-6hrs. Also make sure the battery plugs are good as an RMG 280 can draw up to 18amps if they stall and they do if sheets get jammed or tangled.My first RMG winch is still going strong after 16 yrs with basicly no maintenance.
Glen
ggrrr is offline Find More Posts by ggrrr
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:21 AM
Registered User
USA, MI, Ortonville
Joined Sep 2006
27 Posts
Receiver voltage capacity....

I have two different Spektrum radios for my boats. A DX6 and a DX7.

Will the DX6 receiver (AR6000) handle a fully charged 7.4 lipo? I also have an ar7000 that I use with DX7. I have been knocking down the voltage to 6v with an inline regulator......

Frank V
fvracerone1 is offline Find More Posts by fvracerone1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:52 PM
Registered User
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I was assuming their was no BEC in the RMG to drop the rudder servo and Rx vltg to 5 volts .. Glad to hear that one is in the RMG too..

Avoiding the need for a BEC is part of why I'd be looking at a 6.6vdc A123 or LiFe to avoid the over voltage placed on them and provide the 25C to 30C burst current under load at the same time.. Personally I don't trust Lipos.. Even with a BEC they're too fragile.. Especially if you forget to turn OFF over night. So I'll make sure that fixes it with the 2cell lipo and then probably order or make a dual A123 in series PAC that I can charge more quickly and will handle the surge currrent too. Thanks All
JimS
I AGREE,LiFe batts deliver a bit less voltage and can be fast charged and sustain more abuse but a touch more weight,but i'm an idiot with a good charger and know what i'm looking at so i use Lipo's,LiPo problems are 99% human error just know what you're doing and put an idiot behind the wheel.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
I have two different Spektrum radios for my boats. A DX6 and a DX7.

Will the DX6 receiver (AR6000) handle a fully charged 7.4 lipo? I also have an ar7000 that I use with DX7. I have been knocking down the voltage to 6v with an inline regulator......

Frank V
We ran a boat all season using a Lipo 2s battery direct to the A6000 receiver you mention. I had servo's that are made to use up to 9 volts and everything worked fine.

In my opinion the servo's have a better chance of failing than the receiver does.

Ted
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:44 PM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
774 Posts
just my two pennies worth but Lipo's and water do NOT mix I personnally would never use them in a boat even if you think your boat is water proof!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:49 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
I AGREE,LiFe batts deliver a bit less voltage and can be fast charged and sustain more abuse but a touch more weight,but i'm an idiot with a good charger and know what i'm looking at so i use Lipo's,LiPo problems are 99% human error just know what you're doing and put an idiot behind the wheel.
Tug,
I have a 2S 1300 Mah 25C Lipo in it now and that did solve the brown out issue that the 4ea AA NiMHs were causing.. Stepped the mast and went thru all the Winch adjustments a final time..with Drum and Sheets attached.. so I think I'm all set.. Initially I noticed that the MAIN sheet's line was about 40mm (1.5 inches) shorter than the Jib sheet when I 1st clipped them in position before any adjustments on the booms.. also found out that you have to have the mast off to attach the gooseneck so I got some more practice putting the mast back on again..Its now set up ready to re-maiden..

Questions..
should the two little spreader bar tubes on the shroud lines which have a slight bend in them .. be set pointing FWD or AFT to try to rake the mast FWD or AFT using that slight 15 ? degree bend that's in them.. ?

Where can I get some tips on tuning an IOM?

This boat has Mylar sails and there are a lot of wrinkles and creases since they weren't stowed properly.. is there a recommended way to take the wrinkles out? I'm assuming that if I were going to buy new sails anyway, that I could try going over them with a Heat gun.. does that work?

JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Oct 21, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2006
548 Posts
For those who say Lipos are fragile, I have been using the same 1350 2S packs since 2007. They are not quite 1350 mah any more, but still work fine.

I am tempted to buy a Lipo and Life pack and compare voltages under full current discharge. My charger will do 35 amp discharge, so it should be more than enough for the little batteries we use.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User
8387mike's Avatar
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Tug,


This boat has Mylar sails and there are a lot of wrinkles and creases since they weren't stowed properly.. is there a recommended way to take the wrinkles out? I'm assuming that if I were going to buy new sails anyway, that I could try going over them with a Heat gun.. does that work?

JimS
Buy some new ones. They are more than likely stretched or sail with them till you addicted
8387mike is online now Find More Posts by 8387mike
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion X-3D Brushless Quadrocopter, general quadrocopter, x-ufo discussion tend2it Multirotor Talk 2529 Apr 26, 2008 07:45 PM
Discussion Kong Power Packs Info And General Discussion nitroshark Batteries and Chargers 10 Jan 12, 2008 11:33 PM
Discussion Kong Power Packs Info And General Discussion nitroshark Batteries and Chargers 32 Jan 03, 2008 03:02 PM
Discussion General Discussion PLD Australia 172 Nov 27, 2006 10:26 PM
General Discussion / Training Area zax Site Chat 0 Oct 03, 2001 01:48 PM