HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:48 PM
"Will Slope For Food"
Golden, Colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,121 Posts
Discussion
Best weight for carbon repair cloth

It is getting to be that time of the year and I want to get my DLG from last summer repaired and flying again. My fuse got busted up and I need to do some repairs to get it back in the air. What weight and cloth should I use?

Thanks for the help!

Steve
Granite is offline Find More Posts by Granite
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:12 AM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,161 Posts
Hi Steve,
As for myself, I use 3.7 oz cloth or something in that general weight. Piece the fuselage together, and sand where the repair cloth will go, I stick it on the outside using the 3M77 and wax paper method then saturate it, more or less, with thin regular CA. Then I sand the edges to feather them in, and then rub on some medium CA to pretty things up. You can blot up any extra medium CA if you see too much there. After the CA sets, it's hard to see the repairs from a few feet away, somewhat depending on what weave CF cloth you used.

To me Fuselage repair is pretty easy, wing repair --NOT--

walt

PS When I'm doing the first repair on the fuselage, I like to put a strip of 1.7 oz kevlar inside to kind of hold the pieces of CF together for the next crash.
Not exactly positive thinking but practical.
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Last edited by ROOSWH; Mar 26, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:13 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
walt's advice is good, but kind of general in nature, just like your question.

what kind of pod is it? and where is the break and how bad is it? do you have the fabric? got a pic of the damage?

if you need a little bit of fabric I can just send you a piece in an envelope with a stamp. no charge!

no need to order something special and pay all that shipping.
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton