SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:11 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Oops, overdid it with the Tigermoth.

Well, this worked out about as good as a Tim the Toolman project.

But it flew great while it lasted.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:16 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Did somebody say "more power Scotty!"

These are the results of todays high speed dive test. With 370-C drive and 10x8 prop.

Guess it's time for a new 'moth. This one lasted 204 flights and had over 48 hours in the air.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:25 AM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
OUCH!!!
That's what happens when we get too big for our britches.
Ya just had to stuff a little bit more into the mouth of the TM didn't ya?!

Seriously, that looks like you could get it in the air again.
At least put her back together for her dignity. It could be a shelf queen.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:49 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
BC, just don't forget to hang the tail on your wall. Sorry to see your carnage!

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:01 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
Aïeee

How....what an awful event....
I'm sorry BC.

Do you think you can repair it ?

.......gotta be out of epoxy...

Good luck

Buku
Buku Gaidin is offline Find More Posts by Buku Gaidin
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
My condolences BC, write it off as research. I know what you're thinking though...."Hmmm, carbon spars, stiffen here, a few throw pillows there.....where's that charge card?!?". Go get 'em!-thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:06 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Jason and Dreamer, Buku and Thumbs, I probably could get her flying again but it's getting to the point where there is more epoxy and probond than foam.

I wish I had the shelf space, but need it for the replacement TM. I hadn't even thought of the tail 'till Dreamer mentioned it, even though the SB tail is right here in front of my face. Of course! The perfect answer, get to keep a memmento and save space too.

Actually it's probably better for her to go out in a blaze of glory than to just get stripped of parts and parked in the boneyard.

BC
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:13 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
Actually it's probably better for her to go out in a blaze of glory than to just get stripped of parts and parked in the boneyard.

BC
Absolutely... if you're gonna crash, do it WELL!

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:26 AM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
I snapped the fuse just like that one time. The rest of the damage wasn't nearly as bad. BC: What exactly happened? Was it a case of so much power that the wings ripped off? I admire your ambition to try and add "more power".
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:07 PM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
Re: Oops, overdid it with the Tigermoth.

Quote:
Well, this worked out about as good as a Tim the Toolman project.

But it flew great while it lasted.
Ohhhh dude! I'm crushed! I have a tear in my eye! BC, Your Moth was the standard by which all others were measured. I'm soo bummed!

Mario
Sloper Mario is offline Find More Posts by Sloper Mario
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:13 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
It's been flying well with the 300-C, does pretty good with a 9x7 or 10x4.7, but really flies great with the 10x8. This plane was getting pretty beat up and neede to be replaced anyway so why not go for broke?

Today's carnage was from wondering how much speed or flex the wings would take. Took it up a ways and came down in a high speed dive. They folded up when it was going WAY faster than any 'moth is supposed to go. Then it lawn darted the rest of the way.

All in all though, I prefer the stock moth IPS for 'putting around and will be building the next one as light as possible to enjoy it the way it flies best.

BC
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:27 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
BC
My condolences, Ive been following the Evolution of your Moth from the beginning, and I have to say Ive been impressed with each new modification. Good luck on TM-2
rays89 is offline Find More Posts by rays89
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:35 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Sorry to see you lost an old friend, but at least she died a glorious death!

Nothing like giving your life to science....

Now I suppose we can define the Terminal Velocity of a TigerMoth. What is it, EPS300C-?. 7x720, 9x7 dive - OK, but 10x8 not?

Keep us informed of your lightening attempts. I was not happy with the DX-A / 9x7 from the get-go, on a reasonably light stock build. I figure with some carving, maybe an ounce could be saved, but I doubt it would be enough to keep me happy. The 260 power is too easy, and the duration is very close.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:40 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,693 Posts
Hey BC,

I've been flying an S300 powered Tigermoth for some time now with great success. Here's a rundown of the specs and alterations:

Guapner S300 (similar to the 370 in most respects, but timed right)
3.75:1 gearbox
9x6 APC prop
6 cell, 720mah AAA NiMH pack

The wings have been reinforced with CF all along the bottom LE and with small CF kite rods between the cabane and wingstruts on the top wing. The struts have also been reinforced with thin fiberglass rods. Wingwires have been added.

The tail feathers are reinforced with another thin CF kite rod just in front of the elevator joint.

Performance is awesome. My TM rudder rolls, hammerheads, maintains inverted flight (at full charge), and probably would outside loop if I didn't think that maneuver would overstress the wings. I get about 6 mins at full throttle, but the plane flies about like it did with the standard gear at 60% throttle (still loops after a very slight dive) and at that performance level I get 15 mins.

My TM is nearing 300 flights and believe me, with all the experimentation I've done on it, it looks it.

My dad put one of the GWS ESC-100 (the 2 box I think) and flies it on a 9x7 and 7 Nicad or 8 NiMH cells with great success. His doesn't fly quite as well as mine, but it is close.
Darren Hintze is online now Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Aug 14, 2002, 01:03 PM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
Quote:

Today's carnage was from wondering how much speed or flex the wings would take. Took it up a ways and came down in a high speed dive. They folded up when it was going WAY faster than any 'moth is supposed to go.
Kind of like that bugs bunny cartoon where he's in the B-17 with the nose dive and the wings are melting off. "Good thing We got aiiiir brakes."
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria