SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2001, 08:13 PM
mercer Island
Joined Apr 2001
120 Posts
lite stick glitching with 9volt battery

when i fly my lite stik with a 9V alkaline battery it flies for about 2 min then the motor just cuts off, but i still have servos working. when i look at it after landing nothing is out of place and i advance the motor and it starts right up, does that same thing over and over with the flight times getting shorter and shorter, whats wrong? oh ya i have a GWS flight pack with it.
cheapflyr is offline Find More Posts by cheapflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2001, 09:56 PM
Atlanta GA
Joined Mar 2001
59 Posts
The akaline batt have too much internal resistance and will not support the amp draw of the motor. Try the Rayovac Ultra NIMH from the Wal Mart camera department. I use two of these wired in series.

Ray
Ray Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Ray Brooks
Old May 01, 2001, 10:36 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Brooks:
... I use two of these wired in series.
Ray
I think you mean wired in parallel...
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old May 01, 2001, 11:07 PM
Enterprise, MS
Joined Jan 2000
300 Posts
I had the same thing happen with mine. What is happening is that the motor current is drawing down the voltage level inside the battery and causing the low voltage cutoff in the esc to kick in. And when you land and take off again the battery has built back up just a little but not up to its former voltage level, ergo the reason for the shorter flights after the first time the motor cuts out. the easiest thing to do is go up a size in your batteries. I changed to 110ma and the problem went away. Thanks DC
I forgot to mention that if you try to use the 9volt batteries with a motor that draws very many amps at all, the low voltage cutoff will kick in almost instantly and you won't ever get it to leave the ground. Alot of this is having to do with the size of your esc. Most micro esc's will only support 2 sub micro servos, anything any larger and the amp draw on the motor batteries is too high.

[This message has been edited by deadcell (edited 05-01-2001).]
deadcell is offline Find More Posts by deadcell