HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2014, 12:09 AM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
Build Log
complete a project in 2014 sky buggy

well here's the first of the build logs, I can't seem to find the one with the plans on it so this will be the start, the plane is the sky buggy, and I had one when I was learning but it didn't fly well, it was also the 30" model, The funny thing is that when I built the first one I bought the dremel 4" table saw, and had to pull it out of storage for this monster. this one is the 72" Its bigger than any of my other planes and takes a 20 cc engine, which why I chose it, when I looked over the plans I noticed a lot of thing were over built 1/2 x 1/2 longerons among other things and I felt some things were underbuilt, like the pylon was lamanated balsa, to hold a 72" wing and lift or do the major lifting on a plane with a weed wacker engine on it. so a few changes have been made. this thing is really a monster at least to me, I'm building in a 4' ceiling tile and the total fuse length is over 4'
I do have a question I'm looking for a sharp way to attach the top wing to the pylon, I have a couple of ideas, I don't just want to use 4 screws and rubber bands are also out, but I'd like the wing to clip in and then be held by 2 screws in back, something not so noticeable any suggestions>?
slam555 is online now Find More Posts by slam555
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 02:55 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,003 Posts
Sam, it would be more convenient if your build log was one continuous thread. To find the one you originally started, if you click on "My RCGroups" and then "Show all subscribed threads" it will list all the threads on which you have posted and your original one will be there. Every time you post to the thread it will bring it back to the top of the first page (well, after the "sticky" threads) If you use the "My RCGroups" button each time you enter the forum it will automatically give you a list of all your subscribed threads which have had new posts on them since you last looked at them. This is how I keep track of all the build logs for the entries in the build off, if you post a thread each time you add to your build log it makes life difficult! You could repeat this latest post in your original build log thread and close this one, or just carry on with this one.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:57 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
954 Posts
I just noticed it seems to be designed for flaps. The first plans photo, third photo down, shows flaps. They are inboard. Ailerons would be at the ends of the wings. Seems unnecessary, but might be fun.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Feb 08, 2014, 10:34 PM
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
sky buggy

yes there are ailerons and there supposed to be on both wings, this is a concern for me, there is no mention of any outer struts, and it is a large wing on a relatively small platform, but when you consider the fact the bottom wing bolts onto a relative size platform it kinda makes me think it'll be ok, its a floater and it's supposed to have a light wing loading. Any way I've decided to leave the ailerons on the bottom wing and make the top wing straight, if I see any shift in the wings I'll add in struts, I should'nt have to change too much to add them.
well the rudder is built, and the tail is assembled, will have to add sheeting and caps after it dries along with the pylon, right now I'm adding a few more support pieces to the fuse so the pylon can't be twisted and will have a better glueing or more glueing area for it pics coming tomorrow sam
Old Feb 09, 2014, 11:02 PM
Joined Sep 2007
954 Posts
Does it say they are ailerons? They are inboard not outboard. Ailerons are not effective inboard. It would be the wrong place to put them. That's why I think they are flaps, but of course I can't see the whole plan.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
skybuggy

they are referred as ailerons, and flaperons, and they are supposed to go on both wings, I'm going to start the wings this week, so I'll have to make a descision about what I'm going to do, either i make it to the plans with both wings having ailerons or just put a set on the bottom wing and mix the rudder with the ailerons, or go to 3 channel and leave the ailerons off totally I don't know yet, but would like suggestions sam
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:50 AM
Joined Sep 2007
954 Posts
Ailerons are never located inboard. They have no leverage on the wing that way. You would get the drag of the ailerons without much turn.

Flaps are best located inboard because it's better for the stall characteristics of the wing.

I see the top wing mount is flat, which suggests no dihedral. If you use no dihedral you have to have ailerons, but it looks like they are located in the wrong place.

On the original the top wing mount is V shaped in cross section to accommodate dihedral.

Since you asked for suggestions, I would build this plane with moderate dihedral in both wings and put ailerons on the bottom wing, but relocated outboard. Then, as you suggest, you can couple ailerons and rudder. Or, depending on what you like, just build it 3 channel, no ailerons, and use enough dihedral.

Good luck with it. It could be a pretty plane and a real floater.

Jim
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
skybuggy

I appreciate the input, this has been a concern of mine since looking at the plans. my first worry was that the platform would allow movement between the wings, the second is that even with ailerons on both wings they wouldn't be very functional, but it really doesn't matter either the plane will never roll intentionally, i had a friend that put them on a petinpol, they hardly worked at all it still needed rudder to turn it,
Now I've made the rudder 1/2" bigger and I've made the elevator 1 bay longer, so my thought is to make the ailerons 1 bay longer and move them out 1 bay that should give me a little more control, but I'll still have to mix in the rudder, but it'll look great when flying.
As for the deihedral each wing has a 6" flat spot in the center, and plenty of deihedral and accorrding to the plan both wings have ailerons but not my top wing pics are coming
I have a green models sopwith camel, which I like very much but when she slows down forget the ailerons they're useless
Last edited by slam555; Feb 10, 2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: missing text
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
skybuggy

heres a plan I found to share
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
skybuggy

ok found it its too big will have to do something different
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
skybuggy

the plans are too big for the forum they're neat though will work something out to get them here, it would be a waste not too and also get them to outerzone.
now that the weather has cleared I have to go back to work, ( a 4 letter word) lol, I like to work and my job isn't bad for the most part. but it does wear me out, I'm trying to cut ribs for the wings tonight, and hopefully get them started this weekend, I'll start it , but like everything else won't get too far, I remember getting a kit together in 2 weeks, ready to fly in 3, I've forgotton what it takes to build from scratch and the time involved, not to mention I haven't built anything this big in 15 years, or this nice,
I'm thinking of a pull -pull system for the tail and rudder, I like the way it looks on my sopwith and it'll be easy to do with all the room in that fuse. I'm going to order heavy duty servos, for the tail end and use regular for the ailerons, for that matter I should order everything soon, I don't want it stalled out waiting for things to arrive,
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:30 PM
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
sky buggy

Well it's been a while and I haven't had much time to build, but I thought I'd better list something so here are the pics, I've framed 1 wing and am in the process of framing the other, I've never built a wing like this before, and now I'm working on the smaller things on the fuse, I'm hoping to get it framed before the spring, after the weather eases up there'll be too much to do just to keep up, but nothing new.
Old Mar 01, 2014, 11:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
279 Posts
Hell of alot of work in there Slam, keep going.KBO
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Mar 01, 2014, 07:16 PM
Joined Oct 2013
773 Posts
skybuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Jiver View Post
Hell of alot of work in there Slam, keep going.KBO
thanks its always nice to see someone looking at your build. by the way what does KBO stand for,, I'm in america and a little ignorant lol