HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined May 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
Building an permanent underwater camera-housing

Hi, my project plan is to build a prototype for a camera module for permanent installation underwater at about 5-15 meters deep next to a dive-shop.

This thread will be part build-log, and a little brainstorming along the way. All help, comments, critic and such is appreciated. I will get back to my build plans with more details on the next post.

I am looking into using a Raspberry PI with the Camera module as a base and a cheap power over ethernet adapter to get power over the ethernet cable.

The housing will probably be square alluminium block with open front, with o-ring and plexiglass front and ethernet cable penetration beneath.
I have no drawings of the box yet, but the design from another person on the forum here for his Sony camerabox is very much representing the design idea i have, so i am borrowing it for a starter reference.

the tread for the picturedesigner can be found here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394032

My biggest concern now is to source a cheap underwater cable seal for the ethernet cable that needs to go into the housing. There is no such thing as cheap when it comes to offshore products so DIY is a good solution. Any tips would be appreciated.
subsoniq is offline Find More Posts by subsoniq
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2013, 09:32 AM
Joined May 2013
3 Posts
Another question that i have is if its any point having double o-rings with spacing between them for the front plexiglass plate, or if one o-ring is enough.
I will cut the o-ring guide tracks in the aluminum front.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2013
3 Posts
Links for current component bill of material.
BOM - Will defenitely change during the project lifespan.

Raspberry PI model B 40$
Camera module 25$
http://www.raspberrypi.org

Building a voltage regulator from scratch for downregulating the 12v PoE to 5V for Rasbperry PI with a 7805 voltage regulator and two capasitors.
price about 2$

Power over ethernet adapter injector and splitter.
Price about 8 gbp.
http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-poe-injector-diy.htm
Old May 23, 2013, 10:38 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
418 Posts
How long will your cable need to be? Something like this could do it,
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
610 Posts
For connectors, you might consider the waterproof stuff from Bulgin. Their Buccaneer line of connectors should be good for relatively shallow depths, and they have one that's for CAT5 cable.

On the double o-ring question, I don't know. The only time I've worked with double o-rings is in a vacuum system rather than an underwater pressure system. That system had two o-rings and a small pump to pump the volume between them. When we closed the system, we turn on that pump until we pull a good vacuum. At that point we know we have a good seal, and can hit the big pumps for the main volume.

I don't know if there would be any benefit to having double o-rings on an underwater pressure system. One place to check would be Parker-Hannifin. At one point they had an o-ring design guide as a free publication on their site. I've still got my copy, and refer to it pretty frequently for vacuum stuff.

DOH! They have it in PDF now: http://www.parker.com/literature/ORD...g_Handbook.pdf

I hope you're still working on this project. I'd love to see an update.

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict