SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:42 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Thanks for the reply Otto,
The motor I am using is a Turnigy C35-36 1100Kv. I bought it from Hobbyking but they don't seem to have it anymore so I have no other data.
Alan
Ospreyman is offline Find More Posts by Ospreyman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospreyman View Post
Thanks for the reply Otto,
The motor I am using is a Turnigy C35-36 1100Kv. I bought it from Hobbyking but they don't seem to have it anymore so I have no other data.
Alan
I am going to assume the stator is about 28mm dia. and 16mm long and that the KV is accurate. I am going with APC props only. Below is data; prop, static thrust and amps at 3S.

9x7.5E, 43, 29
9x6SF, 49, 28
10x5E, 54, 27
9x6E, 44, 23
10x4.7SF, 56, 31
10x7E, 53, 32
11x5.5E, 62, 36
11x3.8SF, 66, 37

I would go with the 10x4.7SF or the 10x5E cutting a quarter inch off each tip. Its an art so this would be my starting point. You also might consider another Bf109 prop but cut to 9.5 not 8.5, more static thrust if the motor can handle it load wise.

If your motor is tired, you might think about a Power 10. You could slap an APC 10x7E cut to 9.5 have some power.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:37 PM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Otto you are a star,
I have a APC 10x 5 which I can trim to fit and i think i'll order another parkzone 3 blade and do as you suggest , trim to 9.5 rather that 8.5

Thank you so much for your time
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Otto you are a star,
I have a APC 10x 5 which I can trim to fit and i think i'll order another parkzone 3 blade and do as you suggest , trim to 9.5 rather that 8.5

Thank you so much for your time
Get him flying. If you really like performance, you might build a V3 next. Real aerobatic star with good vertical. Two $10 HK motors (but you need two 40 amp ESCs).
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:01 PM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Get him flying. If you really like performance, you might build a V3 next. Real aerobatic star with good vertical. Two $10 HK motors (but you need two 40 amp ESCs).
Now there's a thought!! I wonder if i could "convert" flyguy v1 ?
Last edited by Ospreyman; Mar 16, 2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:02 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
My question is this; I can fit a 9.5" prop in but what pitch would you recommend for a 2 blader( APC) ( more obtainable for me) ?. I tried a master airscrew (e) 10X7 cut down to 9" but this barely flew him. Should I go for a 8,9 or 10" pitch? what do you think?
Otto mentioned prop charts and calculators. http://www.ecalc.ch *JUST* recently changed to a 'subscription' format. They give -some- data for free users but I think only 25%. By that I mean that they have hundreds of batteries and motors and props in the database, but it 'varies' what it displays to free users, and cuts waaaaay down on the options. So, a particular motor you're looking for might not be in the displayed list at the moment. I've been on the net for 25 years (flying for only 3 years) and this is the *FIRST* subscription site I've ever signed up at because it is extremely valuable -and- reliable. $10/year for all the calculators is reasonable, and I use it at least several times a week. By reliable I mean that the -site- says calculated numbers should be within 10% of measured, and I have usually seen it around 5% and never over 10. That's pretty cool. There are other online calculator. I've tried a few and they've usually been to convoluted or limited or uncomfortable to use. Nope I'm not a shill and I gain no $ from the site for writing this, I simply find it spectacularly valuable.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Now there's a thought!! I wonder if i could "convert" flyguy v1 ?
I keep looking at my V2 Superman and keep pondering a conversion. What stops me is all that has to change to make a V3. Its just a lot easier to build the V3.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Otto mentioned prop charts and calculators. http://www.ecalc.ch *JUST* recently changed to a 'subscription' format. They give -some- data for free users but I think only 25%. By that I mean that they have hundreds of batteries and motors and props in the database, but it 'varies' what it displays to free users, and cuts waaaaay down on the options. So, a particular motor you're looking for might not be in the displayed list at the moment. I've been on the net for 25 years (flying for only 3 years) and this is the *FIRST* subscription site I've ever signed up at because it is extremely valuable -and- reliable. $10/year for all the calculators is reasonable, and I use it at least several times a week. By reliable I mean that the -site- says calculated numbers should be within 10% of measured, and I have usually seen it around 5% and never over 10. That's pretty cool. There are other online calculator. I've tried a few and they've usually been to convoluted or limited or uncomfortable to use. Nope I'm not a shill and I gain no $ from the site for writing this, I simply find it spectacularly valuable.
Great info. I use the old Scorpion Calc and the prop charts for the Cobra and Scorpion motors at: http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/

They do extensive testing with each motor and each prop on a thrust stand/dyno. I've found that if you have any motor and know the stator dimensions and kv you can use these tools to get a good handle on thrust and load.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:30 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
Cutting my 1st out the door V3 today !

Shipping tomorrow ! :-)

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Cutting my 1st out the door V3 today !

Shipping tomorrow ! :-)

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
I'll consider a more detailed, step by step, build log if enough people buy one.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 08:00 AM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Nimes
Joined Mar 2012
145 Posts
Hi

HobbyKing Support Centre
to cry and to kneel for an answer.
there is no dialogue with them.
I am in dispute with HobbyKing for an order of 02.03.2014 forgotten by them.
I wonder how he will proceed to refund (paypal or tramsformation in points on my account HobbyKing).
still no answer!
So I can not move forward to build another flyguy.
I'm sorry ::: but I wanted to say out loud.
magik30 is offline Find More Posts by magik30
Last edited by magik30; Mar 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magik30 View Post
Hi

HobbyKing Support Centre
to cry and to kneel for an answer.
there is no dialogue with them.
I am in dispute with HobbyKing for an order of 02.03.2014 forgotten by them.
I wonder how he will proceed to refund (paypal or tramsformation in points on my account HobbyKing).
still no answer!
So I can not move forward to build another flyguy.
I'm sorry ::: but I wanted to say out loud.
I have not been satisfied by HK customer service. I've had three clear issues with them over 3 years that they did not correct. I've done 63 orders with about $100 loss. Their business model is the buyer assumes all risk and for that we get a low price. It was hard for me to accept but you get use to it after a while.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:18 PM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Nimes
Joined Mar 2012
145 Posts
we agree Otto, well I'll see more.
procedure dispute with paypal.
magik30 is offline Find More Posts by magik30
Old Mar 19, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
On a lighter note...... Elvis is in the hanger.

I decided to have some fun with my new Flyguy V3. I turned him into Elvis. Glasses, wig and scarf from Ebay and vinyl jacket from my local car wrapping shop. I changed the leg shape, removing a little muscle and added bell bottoms to complete the jumpsuit. His AUW was 46 oz before conversion and is now 54 oz. Will fly him tomorrow.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 04:35 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
Had on order sent to GKW but they eventually sent my stuff to ME !
Had 3 bad RX's and after return I got three that worked.
Although some stuff just turnes out to be junque.

Otherwise, So far so good.

Thangueveramuch ( say t like Elvis would :-) )
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay