HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Thanks for the rubber advice.

Any help on a particular prop is welcome too.

When and if I get a scale handy, I'll report back.

Funny with all this talk of weight, I remember a slope plane I had called a Condor. It was a partially built balsa kit from China. It was not graceful at all, but very stable in big winds. I flew that thing on some huge days and use to put saltwater fishing weights in it to calm things down. It just kept flying better as long as the wind kept up. It met it's demise when I was getting cocky flying inverted and the duct taped lead weights started going wherever they wanted.

Pete
swift4me is offline Find More Posts by swift4me
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
question

Hello

I've finished the build, but have a question concerning the cowling. The plastic cowling in the kit was too small for a good fit, and since I will need weight up there anyway, I'm thinking of making a balsa nose for it.

I lightened the tail surfaces as much as possible and scalloped the trailing edges of the wing and omitted some of the wing ribs.

My question is: If I no longer care about it being a scale Super Cub, and only want to try to increase its potential for flight, (I know it has no chance of being a good FF plane), would lengthening the nose help things out? I was thinking of adding an inch or so.

Maybe a crazy idea, but all help is welcome.

Thanks,

Pete
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:15 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,617 Posts
Yeah, Pete, If you're not into making the Cub scale, adding an inch to the nose is a good idea. If you want to use the plastic cowl you will have to keep it scale due to the curvature of the fuselage up front which should continue if you add the inch. If you do want to use the cowl for a scale look you can make a balsa insert with a hole in it for the rubber, and then glue it flush to the fuselage nose. i wouldn't make the nose inch addition out of solid balsa, that might be too much nose weight. If it's not too late, you can simply extend the fuselage frame and then add a shaped sheet of 1/8" wood for the thrust bearing. If you can't do that then you can laminate sheet wood to make a "hollow" cowl one inch deep.

Kev
kevin matthews is online now Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking of building a hollow cowling out of 6mm sheet and then shaping. The issue of thrust and changing the angle of it might be easier if I do it this way.

We'll see.

Pete
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Here are a couple poor photos of the built Super Cub, except for the nose and landing gear.

I ordered better rubber and a larger prop from Sam's Models in England, and will be contructing the new nose next week. With my bad leg, I've been kept from my woodshop and most of my tools at the farm, and I want my cuts to be very square when I make the balsa cowling.

For my sole purpose of flying this thing with the neighbor kids in their hayfields, I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove the laning gear struts, and leave off the landing gear. It won't be scale with my new nose anyway and I'll never fly it around a landing surface. This will save some weight too.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure once I start to balance and trim I'll have some more questions.

Pete
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:32 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,617 Posts
Looks good.

Kev
kevin matthews is online now Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:46 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,246 Posts
You might consider: Pour plaster of paris into the existing plastic cowling. Remove the hardened plug and use it as the New form for either Vacuforming OR heat shrinking (plastic bottle ) a fresh Cowl.
One can leave one of the thusly made plastic cowls on the mold and forming the next one on top of it.
Thereby increasing the cowls' size .. slightly.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
That's a very interesting idea. I'm already started on the balsa cowling and I think its going to work out better by being longer. I'm going to wait to do my trimming until it stops raining and the grass gets taller in my meadow.

Pete
Old Jun 08, 2013, 01:01 AM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Hello again

After finally walking around well enough to clean up the woodshop and getting some projects done, I revisited the cowling on my model Cub. After several of you informed me of the kit's lousy flight characteristics, plus the plastic cowling not fitting, I went ahead and made a longer cowling out of balsa. The nose plug pulls out for chainging rubber etc. and it ended up balancing almost perfectly just with the balsa, so no weight added yet. I brought it back to town to test glide, but it is raining endlessly here this year.

I bought the prop and some better rubber, and set it up with 4 strands.

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll report back.

Here it is

Thanks,

Pete
Old Jun 08, 2013, 11:06 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,619 Posts
It looks a little like Pinnochio after telling a lie now But there's no doubt that it'll fly better with that new front end. The better stability for the prop compared to the wobbly plastic cowl and the added nose length reducing the need for nose weight will pay off.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:12 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,350 Posts
I built one of these about 10 years ago, and never finished it. I still have the bone somewhere. I really liked the lines of it, so I kept the plans for when I knew micro RC stuff would be better suited to a plans build with laminated tips and such. That day has long since arrived, so I'll get to it eventually. Lots more on the lineup first, but I'm looking forward to it. Let us know how she flies when you're done!
KnifeEdge51 is offline Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51