Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
Lots of witness intimidation.....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...idation_256702
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
When will the Senate pile on? They like to stick their nose in sports issues.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
When will the Senate pile on? They like to stick their nose in sports issues.
They won't. Not enough money in cycling.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
BAN the retiree for life!
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
BAN the retiree for life!
(SRAM just dropped him as a sponsor too)

Armstrong is STILL racing...he just did a Superfrog triathalon in September, and he has a bike race he'll be at in Colorado coming up.

The sponsors are dropping Lance, but still giving money to Livestrong, which he started. The purpose of Livestrong is to "promote awareness of cancer". I read that Lance gets $150,000 in speaker's fees for each Livestrong function he attends. Livestrong's got a 15th year anniversary dinner tonight...tickets start at $5,000....a table is $10,000....and donations go up to $100,000.

So as long as long as Lance keeps "Promoting awarness of cancer" he keeps making money off all the suckers that donate to the Livestrong foundation.

Me ?...I'd skip Livestrong and give the money to another cancer charity.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
(SRAM just dropped him as a sponsor too)

Armstrong is STILL racing...he just did a Superfrog triathalon in September, and he has a bike race he'll be at in Colorado coming up.

The sponsors are dropping Lance, but still giving money to Livestrong, which he started. The purpose of Livestrong is to "promote awareness of cancer". I read that Lance gets $150,000 in speaker's fees for each Livestrong function he attends. Livestrong's got a 15th year anniversary dinner tonight...tickets start at $5,000....a table is $10,000....and donations go up to $100,000.

So as long as long as Lance keeps "Promoting awarness of cancer" he keeps making money off all the suckers that donate to the Livestrong foundation.

Me ?...I'd skip Livestrong and give the money to another cancer charity.
I'm not sure what "cancer awareness" is, but I'm pretty sure most people know about it. They don't give money to cancer research.

Lance is a bad seed who used it to his benefit... He probably would have made a great mob boss.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:57 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
I'm not sure what "cancer awareness" is, but I'm pretty sure most people know about it. They don't give money to cancer research.

Lance is a bad seed who used it to his benefit... He probably would have made a great mob boss.

I read that the last Livestrong contribution to research was in 2005...
I'm pretty sure Roger Clemons is as guilty, but his stonewall seems to have held up better. Lance had way too many people involved; once their livelihood was not connected to him he was naive to think he'd escape the hounds.
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:27 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post

82% of what they make goes to programs that includes grants, education advocacy and programs. I would bet part of the $10 million in grants spent in 2011 went to research.

Lance has done some bad things. No doubt about that but he has done some good as well.

RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
I'd like to see an investigation into Livestrong to see where the money is really going.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to see an investigation into Livestrong to see where the money is really going.
Knock yourself out. They post all of thier financial statements online.

http://www.livestrong.org/Who-We-Are...al-Information
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
poops hitting the fan for Livestrong now, people that raised money for them are asking for it back:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/us/lan...ong/index.html
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:40 AM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
poops hitting the fan for Livestrong now, people that raised money for them are asking for it back:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/us/lan...ong/index.html
Good. There should be SERIOUS consequences for cheating. At this level especially.
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:43 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Good. There should be SERIOUS consequences for cheating. At this level especially.
I agree there should be consequences but if the money is going to needed causes that help people why should they have to suffer because lance cheated riding a bicycle?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
82% of what they make goes to programs that includes grants, education advocacy and programs. I would bet part of the $10 million in grants spent in 2011 went to research.

Lance has done some bad things. No doubt about that but he has done some good as well.

The reports don't mention funding any research. The closest is a reference to support for the creation of CPRIT, a state research funding agency.
CPRIT is in the news after two Nobel laureates and several other science review panel members resigned after having been left out of research grant decisions by the more commercially oriented businessfolk.
Specifically, the award of an $18 million grant to the wife of M.D. Anderson's president without submitting it for review seemed fishy.
CPRIT has the dual mission of funding research and commercialization & distributed about $300 million last year.
The $10 million in grants by Livestrong appear to have been for education and advocacy. I think they do help, but they don't fund any research.
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
How much cancer education do people need these days, especially when there's already an American Cancer Society ?.

I mean it's nice that there's another charity out there about it, but people have been saying that Livestrong is just a creation be Lance to uphold his image against the doping detractors. If that's true then it's working, Livestrongs donations actually went UP after they came out with the latest reports against him. His supporters now are saying that while he may have doped, everyone else did too, and since he started a cancer charity that still makes him a good guy in their eyes. Those people don't know enough about the real Lance and how he used threats, lawsuits, witness intimidation, and outright lies to keep his doping activities hidden.

I read a report that this whole thing is way bigger than anybody thinks. His doping doctor Dr Ferrari had Swiss bank accounts set up to hide the money from the riders, they had lawyers to protect them against doping allegations and positive test, sponsors were paying off cycling officials to look the other way for positive tests, Lance was giving money to cycling officials in charge of doping which should be a conflict of interest. Dr Ferrari was the #1 doctor in the world for doping. If Lance was Mr Clean like he said he was why would he be using Ferrari as his coach ?. That's like the Pope having Hitler on his staff.

This thing is so big now that not even a public admission by Lance could save his reputation, and he knows it, that's why he publicly came out and said he's through fighting the doping charges against him.

People have said now that his lies over the years are coming out he'll finally have to eat Crow, but that won't happen because Sheryl left him years ago.