HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:27 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
That is interesting, Kiwi. I've never owned a Fox, so I am unfamiliar. Those Fox spraybars must have worked as Fox was in the selling engines business. Why are they such a bother?
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
When I first started flying Fox stunt 35s, in 1977, I could not get consistent runs. Put in Super Tigre NVAs and problem solved.

After Duke passed away, the late John Lowery brought Betty Fox to several St. Louis contests. He told that he had showed Betty that most Fox engines on the flying field did not have Fox NVAs. This led to a change from the old Fox flat end needle to a more conventional needle.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
What was the purpose of 2 jets in a Fox 35 NVA? The only thing I could think of was an attempt at better fuel "atomization"?<--a word from the 50's.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Here's a video of my MP Jet running:
MP Jet .061 control line engine demonstration (9 min 48 sec)

EDIT: Yes I know the head is on sideways(in the second half of the video).
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Last edited by RknRusty; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:29 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
What was the purpose of 2 jets in a Fox 35 NVA? The only thing I could think of was an attempt at better fuel "atomization"?<--a word from the 50's.
There were a few engines that had spray bars with two holes but the Fox was slightly different because the holes weren't 180 degrees apart. The correct way to fit them was when you couldn't see either of the holes when looking down the venturi. It's known that you get better fuel draw if a hole is pointing slightly down instead of being directly across from the venturi side (down by about 10-15 degrees) so possibly this was the way Fox ensured correct fitting.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:23 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
...It's known that you get better fuel draw if a hole is pointing slightly down instead of being directly across from the venturi side (down by about 10-15 degrees) so possibly this was the way Fox ensured correct fitting.
That's always been my understanding too. But last weekend I was building an engine to compete in our annual Tach Race that we hold to kill time every Winter at cox engine forums, and found mine behaved differently. For the Unlimited class, I had a standard Bee crankcase, a lapped and polished crankshaft, with a Tee Dee cylinder and a wide bore Killer Bee backplate. I used a backplate with the spraybar angled at the widely accepted 15 degree offset and the engine ran respectably and smooth, but only at about 19.4k RPMs(we're using 5x3 gray Cox props). The last test I did after getting everything else to peak out was to try a spraybar with the hole pointed straight down the throat, and picked up an additional 400 RPMs. I switched back to the first one and lost 400, so I switched back to the straight shooter again, tested it with the same extra 400 and shipped it off to the race. It was running 19.8k, bouncing off of 20. Hopefully good for a top three, but some of these guys are much better at it than I am.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old May 28, 2013, 03:42 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Wow ,

What ? No more engine pictures ...
We love engines dont we ?

Here is my latest Ebay find - all the way from Poland !

KMD 2.5 Diesel , and as near as I can tell , un-run

Enjoy the pictures
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old May 28, 2013, 10:05 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Nice. Here's my latest acquisition, it came from E-Bay with no compression despite the listing. But a friend sent me parts engines, and from that I was able to restore it. It is a K&B .20 Sportster for my CL use.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Old May 29, 2013, 02:27 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,102 Posts
Enya ss45S

Here's my latest acquisition, a new version of the Enya ss45 where they've gone back to the old style of a cast iron piston and steel liner made specifically for CL. I couldn't resist .

So far though I haven't had the chance to strip it to check the timings, compression etc but I'll get around to that soon. Then it'll be time to carefully run it in with 25% all castor and no nitro.

BTW, the KMD above is the first (best) version. I have the later one that's all natural finish and cast venturi. Brand new though.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old May 29, 2013, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2008
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
What ? No more engine pictures ...
We love engines dont we ?

Here is my latest Ebay find - all the way from Poland !

KMD 2.5 Diesel , and as near as I can tell , un-run

Enjoy the pictures
A couple of members of our c/l club have been experimenting with the KMD Blackheads for speed limited Diesel Goodyear.

They're good strong engines on the APC 7 x 6 test props. They both turn them at over 16.5K rpm which is in the strong Oliver Tiger range. In the air one of the pulls the model around at about 28 Seconds/10 Laps. They'd probably go harder on a smaller prop so you'd have to say that they're good value for the kind of prices they go for on Ebay.

The third pic is of the 1/2A Proto Speed model my son and I have built for a Russian 049 Combat motor.
Still unflown so far, but it now has the clear coat and numbers on the wings. The design is called a "Sweeper".

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Last edited by locktite401; May 29, 2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old May 29, 2013, 03:40 AM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Here's my latest acquisition, a new version of the Enya ss45 where they've gone back to the old style of a cast iron piston and steel liner made specifically for CL. I couldn't resist .
Love the Enya Brian. Whenever I see a mid-sized Enya set up for stunt I immediately think of Bill Draper and his Superhawk. He really did well with the combination.
WBE is offline Find More Posts by WBE
Old May 29, 2013, 03:47 AM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
612 Posts
A flying buddy gave me an ugly, old LA46 to mess with so first priority was to remove all the blue nail polish.

When another friend asked why the blue was removed I told him it was so the engine could regain some of it's dignity back of course!
WBE is offline Find More Posts by WBE
Old May 29, 2013, 12:59 PM
United States, MN, Andover
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE View Post
A flying buddy gave me an ugly, old LA46 to mess with so first priority was to remove all the blue nail polish.

When another friend asked why the blue was removed I told him it was so the engine could regain some of it's dignity back of course!
What, you don't like Smurf made engines? LOL

Did you use Demon Clean? It looks pinkish. Just wondering if there is something else that works.
pspring is offline Find More Posts by pspring
Old May 29, 2013, 03:21 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,371 Posts
Very nice, Looks a lot better in the original metal color. I'm not into smurf engines either.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old May 29, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
what are these engines painted with?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer