to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:15 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Aaaaaaah..
Now you know they are from Losi, you probably have a source nearby - but in case you dont look at #439 on pg 30. This is the post where 7car7 told me how to get them because I couldn't find a source in the UK.

Note his comment about the black ones being cheaper. Also, since you need to reposition them with a soldering iron or heat gun to match the boat, the chrome ones might not stand the strain of being played with. Better to get black ones and paint them with chrome silver afterwards, even if you want them to look like the ones on your original full-size Dart-powered beauty. Although, if money's no object I guess you could get the chrome ones as long as you are prepared to paint them if it all goes pear-shaped.

I've gone for satin white anyway and I'm sure any 'pretend VHT Sperex-type colour' would look great.
madbugger is online now Find More Posts by madbugger
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
So jealous of how much snow you guys have on the west coast! We've got NOTHING here yet
Yea it's been a great start to the season here! Mt. Baker is topping the charts with 294cm (116" for you American folk) in the upper elevations! Doing my avalanche safety training course this coming weekend so I can be safe in the backcountry.

Mad, yes, it's a waterplane. Although it also has attachment points for wheels, but I doubt I'll use them, since flying off water or snow is way more fun! It's modeled after this very interesting plane, which is currently in the early stages of production:
www.iconaircraft.com
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
Fire, you will enjoy the plane, I have a few friends have one..its a good plane..

Got paint on the kmb today..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,155 Posts
Yea, looking forward to maidening the plane soon!

Paint job looks great! Plus everyone knows red adds 5mph to your top speed!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
Fire, dont forget the pics when you get it up in the air..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,264 Posts
Arrest me Red! Great looking paint job, it's gonna be sharp.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait to see the finished look.... So hurry up!
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
Thanks, guys..I appreciate it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
The biggest problem with this boat is the accessories, they are made out of a plastic that is horrible to paint on..and I have painted for many years..

The seats were hard to do, I wanted a texture that gave it a vinyl look, as seats aint clearcoated..

The cockpit tub, which you gotta cut the hatch out to put in, was soo bad, I used the crinkle paint found in car trunks to give it a texture, and the unique color it has...

Pretty much all I have left is a rub rail around the boat, and some graphics, and detailing the inside of the hull..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,264 Posts
Ooooh, diggin' the Hemi!

And yes, the seat looks the part. Are you going to put figures in?

I have to have figures in my airplanes. Just think it looks empty without a pilot.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
7, I dunno yet.. I dont know that I m gonna put the roll bar on either..lake boats dont really need em..I'll take some pics with and without, and I can get a group vote on it..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
I think I'm just going to finish it as a jet boat we use here, on lakes and rivers, so, no bar, and even tho I have quite a bit of time in it, the motor just doesnt do it for me, it just mounts flush on the rear deck, not realistic at all to me, I would like to sink it into the deck, as it would be in a real boat..

The motor I want, which is highly detailable, is the Parma 1/10 hemi kit..they dont make them anymore, I have bid on them when they come up on ebay, but, they are going close to $100, and thats rediculous..

So, I'm thinkin I will leave it as a closed aft deck till I can find one of the Parmas...

Its worth waiting for, all you have to paint is the block, heads, and trim..chrome comes with it..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Dec 13, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,089 Posts
Quote:
If I were to put on the roll bar, red, or black? help me out here...
I know it doesn't signify anything because that's not what you're modelling, but in an attempt to help I looked through all my images of Oz sprint boats. For whatever reason, red appears to be the least used hull colour but the 3 pics of red boats I found all had a black rollcage. At least that would provide some contrast against the red, if you do decide to fit the cage in the end.
Last edited by madbugger; Dec 13, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:42 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,089 Posts
Quote:
The motor I want, which is highly detailable, is the Parma 1/10 hemi kit..they dont make them anymore, I have bid on them when they come up on ebay, but, they are going close to $100, and thats rediculous..
I've wanted one of those for many a long year but they never come up on ebay over here, even at that sort of price.