HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:37 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jul 2003
439 Posts
Hi Geoff.
Your plane is looking great!
If I remember correctly, you covered this model with Hobby King covering material?
How is this material holding out, now that the model has been out in the sun a few times?

Regards,
Magne
Magne is offline Find More Posts by Magne
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:03 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Hello again Magne;

The Hobby King covering is definitely not as durable as Ultracote. There are a few spots where the color layer is delaminating. It seems about equivalent to resisting puckering in the sun. I have re-shrunk in a few places but no more that I need to with other planes. The advantage to the HK covering (other than price) is that if you other 10 meters then you are likely to get a single 10 meter roll. This meant that I could get away with fewer seams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magne View Post
Hi Geoff.
Your plane is looking great!
If I remember correctly, you covered this model with Hobby King covering material?
How is this material holding out, now that the model has been out in the sun a few times?

Regards,
Magne
Geoff Dryer is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Dryer
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:25 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer View Post
The advantage to the HK covering (other than price) is that if you other 10 meters then you are likely to get a single 10 meter roll. This meant that I could get away with fewer seams.
I have ordered 10 meter rolls of Solartex, For my Cub and also my DR-1. Also 21st Century fabric can be ordered in 15 foot rolls. I have a few of them for my T-Craft.
Both are a fabric based covering. I think it replicates the fabric of the full size a little better than any of the shinny plastic films.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:51 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
I contemplated using Solartex but the blue did not seem to be a good color match. Also the cost difference was staggering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
I have ordered 10 meter rolls of Solartex, For my Cub and also my DR-1. Also 21st Century fabric can be ordered in 15 foot rolls. I have a few of them for my T-Craft.
Both are a fabric based covering. I think it replicates the fabric of the full size a little better than any of the shinny plastic films.
Rick
Old Sep 18, 2014, 06:54 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jul 2003
439 Posts
Thanks Geoff.
Yes, there is a significant cost difference for a large plane like this.
Therefore it is a great shame if the product is not holding up in the long run.
Maybe the extra price is worth paying.

Magne
Magne is offline Find More Posts by Magne
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:50 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Geoff.

Magne
Magne:
I think so especially when it's a scale fabric covered airplane. I've recovered 3 ARF's now; as my first building step. I just think it looks better when the airplane has more of a fabric look.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:26 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
In the future I may recover but after two seasons the current covering is still pretty much perfect. I of course see every imperfection.

Quote:
Thanks Geoff.

Magne