HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:52 PM
United States, OR, Philomath
Joined Mar 2014
39 Posts
Question
Making my own plans?

Hello all!

I recently made a plane that flies really well. So I want to make plans for it so I can share it.

I was wondering if there was a program I could use to do this. If not, I may make one for you all (I am a programmer)

Thanks!
Zoxks is offline Find More Posts by Zoxks
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:28 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,891 Posts
Lots of free CAD programs out there that will do fine for drawing plans. I happen to like Draftsight as it has a large user base and interfaces well with many CAD file formats. It has a learning curve, but there are hundreds of tutorials and Youtube videos out there...

http://www.3ds.com/products-services...ight/overview/
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:28 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,693 Posts
Being a programmer, there are several FOSS, (Free Open Source Software) CAD programs out there you might be interested in.

LibreCAD, which is QCad ported from Qt3 to Qt4, is a good 2D CAD program with a relatively active forum and a lot of video tutorials available.

FreeCAD which is a feature rich 3D solid parametric modeler built on the OCC / OCE CAD kernel and has a very active forum, and a lot of video tutorials as well.

Both provide their source code, so the ability to add to / change / modify, etc., are only limited by your talents.

Though not a "real" CAD program, there is Sketchup that is very easy to use, has oodles of tutorials and works well. Just remember it's a mesh modeler, which means that circles, arcs, and such are not circles, arcs, and such. They are multi segmented polygons/polylines. Other than that, Sketchup works very well for many and it has a less steep learning curve compared to real 2D, and especially 3D CAD programs.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:27 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,467 Posts
I use Inkscape for plans. It's not a CAD program, but rather a 2D graphic art/illustration tool. You can work precisely with it using guides. Also, it exports drawings to PDF easily. Here's an example of a plan I drew using Inkscape.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Oct 24, 2014, 02:13 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo View Post
I use Inkscape for plans. It's not a CAD program, but rather a 2D graphic art/illustration tool. You can work precisely with it using guides. Also, it exports drawings to PDF easily. Here's an example of a plan I drew using Inkscape.
That completely slipped my mind, Inkscape, and I use it all the time, though not directly for plans. Templates for plans... Yes, Inkscape is more than accurate enough for a printed set of plans, and as a bonus, a lot of CAM software will use SVG format, if you don't use the CAM plugin for Inkscape.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:53 AM
United States, OR, Philomath
Joined Mar 2014
39 Posts
Thanks!! Thats all i needed to know!
Zoxks is offline Find More Posts by Zoxks