SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2014, 03:30 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Oct 2014
45 Posts
Discussion
Question for first plane

I have read the threads on here and realize I should start with e.g. Super Cub S, Sport Cub S or a Champ.
Is it not easier to fly the Super Cub S due to it's size, I would personally think it would be easier to see due to it's size. It is easier on the Phoenix simulator flying it but maybe that is 3 vs 4 channel thing. I did ask a store about it and the guy said the Super Cub S requires a lot more room to fly it due to it's size. I have a DX6 so personally did not want to buy a Champ and have another tx laying around, seems kind of wasteful.
Anyone willing to spend there time giving me a response it would be appreciated
rraming is offline Find More Posts by rraming
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:17 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
https://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4480.html
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:33 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraming View Post
I have read the threads on here and realize I should start with e.g. Super Cub S, Sport Cub S or a Champ.
Is it not easier to fly the Super Cub S due to it's size, I would personally think it would be easier to see due to it's size. It is easier on the Phoenix simulator flying it but maybe that is 3 vs 4 channel thing. I did ask a store about it and the guy said the Super Cub S requires a lot more room to fly it due to it's size. I have a DX6 so personally did not want to buy a Champ and have another tx laying around, seems kind of wasteful.
Anyone willing to spend there time giving me a response it would be appreciated
I personally like larger RC aircraft for flying outdoors ( easier to see for my 61 year old eyes ) . If your flying site has the room for the Super Cub S , go for that one . When you get comfortable flying the Super Cub S at faster speeds ( making turns with a greater degree of banking and some up elevator ) , then move up to a 4 channel plane .

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:36 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,611 Posts
And that's all that needs to be said. The Sport Cut S answers the need for SAFE and AS3X. It's small like a Champ and is BNF. Win, win, win. It doesn't get better than that!

Little planes are great because you can fly without a flying field. Bigger planes like the Super Cub S fly smoother and even though they are actually flying faster, they look like they're flying slower because of scale effect. The larger plane is easier to fly. The smaller plane gives you more stick time because you open your back door and chuck it in the air.

I think you need BOTH of them. Your wallet is doomed anyway.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:54 PM
Joined Oct 2014
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
And that's all that needs to be said. The Sport Cut S answers the need for SAFE and AS3X. It's small like a Champ and is BNF. Win, win, win. It doesn't get better than that!

Little planes are great because you can fly without a flying field. Bigger planes like the Super Cub S fly smoother and even though they are actually flying faster, they look like they're flying slower because of scale effect. The larger plane is easier to fly. The smaller plane gives you more stick time because you open your back door and chuck it in the air.

I think you need BOTH of them. Your wallet is doomed anyway.
I actually did think of buying both but figured that might be a little silly. I do have two kids!!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:08 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
800 Posts
The BNF sport cub great deal . Nice back yard and street plane. The Champ at the price is still a deal as you see I have both. I do have a large plane too. Some people love micro's and some like big planes and some love both. But a small plane with safe for 99.00 was not even a option when I started flying. AS3X well help in a little wind. My larger plane make the large field out back seem small and it seems like it always in a turn. It only get flow about once every month or 2.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Them Old time Simulators.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:51 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,742 Posts
Quote:
I actually did think of buying both but figured that might be a little silly. I do have two kids!!
If cost is the main drawback for getting more than one plane - consider doing what some of us do , which is building your own planes out of foam board from the Dollar Tree Store ( $1 a sheet ) . You can have an RC plane for a total cost of $30 or $40 including all the hardware and electronics ( even the receiver if you get DSM receivers from Lemon RX ) . And it is VERY satisfying to fly a plane you've built yourself !

Here are some Dollar Tree foam board planes I've built :

3 channel Slow Flyer

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)

Quick and maneuverable Delta

Simplest simple delta (1 min 20 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:53 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,611 Posts
Quote:
That's one for each kid. Now you need a third for yourself!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Oct 2014
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
If cost is the main drawback for getting more than one plane - consider doing what some of us do , which is building your own planes out of foam board from the Dollar Tree Store ( $1 a sheet ) . You can have an RC plane for a total cost of $30 or $40 including all the hardware and electronics ( even the receiver if you get DSM receivers from Lemon RX ) . And it is VERY satisfying to fly a plane you've built yourself !

Here are some Dollar Tree foam board planes I've built :

3 channel Slow Flyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Xyjy3fcpE

Quick and maneuverable Delta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeUSKLiAkSQ
Not on a budget, I have other expensive hobbies as well. I like the idea of getting both, that way if I crash one I still have one to fly. My only heli crashed (CX2 - yes I crashed, the heli didn't - ha!) and I am waiting for parts. I have also been flying the little Nano, I do not have the guts to get a 200 yet but have been looking at them, it will be the next quad I purchase. I use the Phoenix software and purchased a DX6. Hobbyzone loves me - ha!
I guess I am willing to try them all and then maybe narrow down what I like.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 08:32 PM
Joined Nov 2008
491 Posts
If you have a dx6, I would suggest the umx radian, it is easier than the Champ and looks beautiful in the sky.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Oct 23, 2014, 08:58 PM
Joined Oct 2014
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
If you have a dx6, I would suggest the umx radian, it is easier than the Champ and looks beautiful in the sky.

Edmond
I do like the looks of that plane, I have flown the firebird on the simulator . 28" wingspan on the Radian, I have seen some Radian models at the store. Lots of good reviews for that plane, thanks for the info!

I ordered the Radian umx and the sport cub, both bind n fly from Horizon.

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by rraming; Oct 23, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:34 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,803 Posts
It's amazing how many great beginner planes there are available today for the novice flyer, most of them from Horizon Hobby's HobbyZone brand. You made a good choice getting the UMX Radian and the SportCub S. Let us know how your maiden flights go.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:48 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,611 Posts
Just be careful rraming. NEVER pick a plane by how it flies in a simulator. Until they put inertial sensors and input sensors on a plane and use those hard numbers to produce a sim model, they won't BEGIN to achieve realistic sim flight.

A simulator can, at best, be looked at as a generic flight training device. That's not all bad, as you will buy plenty of planes and every one of them will fly differently. Learning to fly different configurations trains you in how to approach unknown planes and you will have fewer problems as a result. But don't make the mistake of saying "this plane flies great in the simulator--I'm going to buy one."

They're entirely different and actually unrelated beasties. A simulator model to the actual plane is a painting to the objects painted. They are artistic constructs only.

As for the planes you're buying you'll love them both!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 09:43 AM
Joined Oct 2014
45 Posts
That is great info because I read some where, with the Phoenix simulator, they were using it as a "try a plane before you buy it" approach (that might have been on hobby zone's website but I am not sure).
It will be a 5-7 day wait to get them, I saved $25 (survey money and they had $10 off on the website) so that is pretty inexpensive and free shipping so it didn't pay to run over to hobby zone today and get them.
I will let you know how the first flight day goes, it's going to be 70 degree's here today which will most likely be the last 70 degree I see here for the next 6 months.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:02 AM
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
171 Posts
Two great planes to begin with. I fly with someone who has both of these planes and they fly beautifully.
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac