HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,106 Posts
Yea, I saw this clip a while back and it made me want to find out more about these engines. I guess they were used for anything from electric power generation, to pumping and air compressing, to powering machines in a factory like Andy said.

This website has a good summary on these old beasts:
http://oldmachinepress.wordpress.com...ionary-engine/

Quote:
To give some idea of the service life of the engine, at 10,000 hours of operation the needle rollers on the piston pin should be replaced. At 20,000 hours the needle rollers should be replaced again and the piston pin should be rotated 180 degrees. At 40,000 hours, or 4.57 years of continuous operation, the piston pin and bushing should be replaced.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:39 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1parrothead View Post
Can you imagine how big the piston's are on the Fairbanks Morse engine?!

Very cool 'ol iron!

Have Fun, Dave
The Model 32 was available in two cylinder sizes: 12″ bore with a 15″ stroke and 14″ bore with 17″ stroke. The 1215 engine, known as -12, was available in one through three-cylinder versions with each cylinder displacing 1,696 cu. in. The 1417 engine, known as -14, was available in one through six-cylinder versions with each cylinder displacing 2,617 cu. in. and producing 60-75 hp. Normal operating speed ranged from 257 to 360 RPM.

Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:28 PM
Nate Goodman (Nato)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Joined Aug 2008
38 Posts
Opposed Piston Engine

FM diesel engines were an opposed piston design. Highly successful on WW II military ships, the company decided to branch out after the war and offer (sell) railroad locomotives. Most well known example the H 16 -44 Trainmaster road switcher locomotive. Unfortunately higher cost to maintain of the complex opposed piston design plus a higher height, hard to put in the hood of a diesel locomotive and meet clearance's helped to kill off the rail business. Also stiff competition from number one at the time builder Electro Motive Corporation "EMD" did not help. FM also manufactured Scales (do they still?) and continued marine and other engine production after the rail building ended. Nate Goodman (Nato). An FM railroad diesel switcher had that distinctive sound.
Nate Goodman is offline Find More Posts by Nate Goodman
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:02 PM
Submarine or Target?
United States, SC, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2013
526 Posts
Had a Fairbanks Morse diesel about 4-5ft below my rack on the submarine, years ago. That thing sure could ruin a good sleep. Fortunately, we didn't run it often. The nuke teakettle worked a lot better.
ericbphoto is offline Find More Posts by ericbphoto