HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:43 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,688 Posts
Question
Where to buy ornithopter drive

I've searched quite a bit for a place that sells just the drive mechanism for an ornithopter with no success.
Is there any place that sells just the drive and the fuselage frame?

Thanks.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:51 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
.freeflight rubber band power yes high quality remote controll no
therealthing691 is online now Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:10 AM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jan 2009
1,688 Posts
What???
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
Please check the next site . Drives are in the "shopping mall" section after that choose the first option on the left .Full metal gears drive is about 84 US$ , Plastic gears drive (only the last stage is metal gear is about 65.33US$There is even drive with frame in the section "upgrade" for about 93.33 US$. Also you can buy every component for this ornithopters separately in the "shopping mall" section last option on right - the prices are without shipping from South Korea.
http://www.magicbird.co.kr/

1 US$ = 1082.29891 South KR Won

Here it is in motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PkKhJxxOvNg
seagull10 is offline Find More Posts by seagull10
Last edited by seagull10; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:36 PM
Push
Joined Jan 2008
335 Posts
He means you can buy simple free flight ornithopters that run off a rubber band but you can't buy Hobbygrade ornithopters. The only large ornithopters in production that I know of are made by Sean Kinkade. Sadly this also applies to drive mechanisms..

You may be able to find someone that can sell you a Cybird drive mechanism but I don't know who. Your best bet if you want a high quality Mechanism is with an Silverlit I-bird (also called Airhogs V-wings) or an Avitron. The I-bot is a very light, 2ch infrared controlled ornithopter that has 4 clapping wings and weights 11 grams. Although it is a very good machine, it's drive mechanism is very limiting as it cannot take much more load than what it was designed to. As such you can't really use it to make a much heavier ornithopter. The best luck I've had the mechanism is with a 19.6 gram ornithopter, and even then I had to reinforce it with carbon fiber.

I can't say anything about the Avitron as I've never held one in my hands, but from what I can see it's a good machine. It's drive mechanism is different from that of the I-bot but it looks like it has the same or better quality. Take note though that the Avitron is LIGHTER than a I-bird. It weights aroun 8 grams, so I'm fairly sure it's drive mechanism can't take substantially more load.

More toylike ornithopters are the ifly vamp, the duckhunt ornithopter and the WooWee Dragonfly. Out of these the only one I know of that's in production is the duckhunt. The rest I don't know about. The Dragonfly is the heaviest as it weights around 20-25 grams.

If you're looking for a large drive mechanism, for an ornithopter heavier than 30 grams, you'll need to build your own..
XXXmags is offline Find More Posts by XXXmags
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:50 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jan 2009
1,688 Posts
seagull10: Thanks for the link, but I can't understand anything on that page (Except the nice videos). Maybe I'll find a Korean speaking friend who will help me navigate your site.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:55 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jan 2009
1,688 Posts
XXXmags: Thanks for the interpretation; now I know what he means. You're both right: You have to buy a complete, large ornithopter just get the mechanism, or build one yourself. But it looks like Seagull10 has a good link to some South Korean made drives. I might buy one when I get to know what I'm doing on that site.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7 View Post
seagull10: Thanks for the link, but I can't understand anything on that page (Except the nice videos). Maybe I'll find a Korean speaking friend who will help me navigate your site.
I don't understand Korean either So please contact them by email on English and they will answer you on English. They have done it in the past so I hope they will do this for you again.

magicbird777@hanmail.net
seagull10 is offline Find More Posts by seagull10
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:44 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jan 2009
1,688 Posts
Good idea, seagull. I will do just that. Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:32 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
they will answer i have emailed them beforeabout a magic bird about a year or so ago cheers Brian
therealthing691 is online now Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:43 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jan 2009
1,688 Posts
That's good to know. Thanks Brian.