SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:00 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
I thought I'd let everyone know I have my Ethos for sale in the multirotor section for $60 obo
Alex4R is offline Find More Posts by Alex4R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:07 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
massive care to go into detail on that power pass through connector?
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
massive care to go into detail on that power pass through connector?
Since the crappy 808 cam I had used a soldered connection I wanted to make it useable on any quad I had without using the internal battery. I made a power passthrough harness that uses a male and female Micro Losi \ Walkera connector soldered end-to-end and the tee'd off a power feed which is soldered directly to the 808 cam.

Now with my new 808 #16 V2, since it has a E-flight connector for the internal battery, I just made another power passthrough connector, but this time instead of soldering the tee I soldered the male end of an E-flight connector. You have to be careful as the stock E-flight connector needs the pins polarity swapped over as the 808 #16 battery polarity is opposite than standard E-flight connectors.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:48 PM
gfl
Joined Apr 2005
99 Posts
Question- At my LHS, I have a choice of a Helimax 1sq or an Ares QX75. Anybody flown both and if so, which would you buy given those options? What are the flight/charging times that I should expect? Im looking for something to fly inside and also ouside in a cul-de-sac size area. Thank you
gfl is offline Find More Posts by gfl
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
i flew both and i own the ethos, i prefer the ethos. i get around a 10 min flight time and a 30ish min charge time. i bought an extra batt
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
You'll have fun with either one you get, honestly. Being an owner of both, I would choose the 1sq. Rtr tx has more control over the sensitivity of your inputs and is more stable when losing altitude and taking off. See if they will let you demo them.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:48 AM
gfl
Joined Apr 2005
99 Posts
Appreciate the input. My experience with helis has been solely co-ax which became boring quite frankly and was looking for something fairly easy and fun to fly while waiting for spring fixed wing time. The qx 75 looked interesting with the "flip" feature but was told by the staff at Hobbytown that the flight time/charge time was 3-4 minutes in the air, especially when flipping and to expect 60 minute+ charge times. They recommended the 1sq but I have read some posts which indicate that the flight/charge times were about equal, with the flight characteristics being better than the qx. The availability of light kits would be a plus as I find myself flying outside at night once the kids are asleep. I have found that the 1sq's kit will become available on or about 1/25/13 through HH with no such date yet for the qx. Thank you again.
gfl is offline Find More Posts by gfl
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
hmm i get regular 10 min flights with mine and im at altitude so i dont know where you are but i love my ethos
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
also stay tuned i am attempting to fit the dropship paper canopy to my ethos, i printed it at 70% all seems good so far
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:59 AM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfl View Post
Question- At my LHS, I have a choice of a Helimax 1sq or an Ares QX75. Anybody flown both and if so, which would you buy given those options? What are the flight/charging times that I should expect? Im looking for something to fly inside and also ouside in a cul-de-sac size area. Thank you
You will get about the same flight/charge times for both. Do you have flying experience? A hobby-grade transmitter that can use the AnyLink for the Tx-R version of the 1SQ?

Personally, I prefer the 1SQ. But, that is largely due to being able to fly it with my Spektrum DX8, instead of a crappy RTF transmitter.

I have reviews and flight videos of both on my YouTube channel, if you want to check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/theimacman
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:03 AM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfl View Post
Appreciate the input. My experience with helis has been solely co-ax which became boring quite frankly and was looking for something fairly easy and fun to fly while waiting for spring fixed wing time. The qx 75 looked interesting with the "flip" feature but was told by the staff at Hobbytown that the flight time/charge time was 3-4 minutes in the air, especially when flipping and to expect 60 minute+ charge times. They recommended the 1sq but I have read some posts which indicate that the flight/charge times were about equal, with the flight characteristics being better than the qx. The availability of light kits would be a plus as I find myself flying outside at night once the kids are asleep. I have found that the 1sq's kit will become available on or about 1/25/13 through HH with no such date yet for the qx. Thank you again.
Wow, that's shocking that they recommended the 1SQ, being that Ares is a HobbyTown-only brand.

3-4 is a serious under-estimate for the flight time. I'd say double that, at least. And, my batteries have never charged for over an hour. I'd say 45-60 minutes tops.

The flip button on the Ares is nice, because it makes it really easy to flip. But, the 1SQ is capable of flipping too... you just have to learn how to do it manually, which is more rewarding in the long run.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
Wow, that's shocking that they recommended the 1SQ, being that Ares is a HobbyTown-only brand.
Not the first time I've heard of that!

About 6 minutes is as long as you want to fly either one- flying to lipo cutoff will destroy these little batteries pretty quick. Another thing to compare is the cost of the batteries. You'll want to pick up a few extra so you aren't waiting more than you are flying
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
alex, do you relly only get 6 mins? i get 10 minute flights regularly which for me is right before the lipo cutoff
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
yep, every one I've tried cuts off around 7 minutes. I don't really fly mine much, like I said I stop at 6.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
ok cool dunno why i get 10 but these little things are addicting