SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,872 Posts
So you say the your quad M2M is 160 mm and is hovering steady(minus this problem with lift).
Strange I must review my quad ,at this size I don't think I can fly steady with my V929 board.I tried UDI 816 with original arms, and is wobling.
midelic is online now Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:19 AM
udo
Enschede Twente, Netherlands
Joined May 2002
15 Posts
i also made an wooden and a depron frame.
The depron frame didnt fly as well as the original mini pet i have.(the weight is 2 grams)
its because of the drag i think.
i would love 2 see a video of the octo copter u made dave.
How much faster is the octo than a quad.?
Does any 1 already has an brushles 1 completed.?
grtz udo
udo is offline Find More Posts by udo
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:19 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
mystman and jesolins are right! i must agree the 1mm shaft ali motors i got are much weaker than the 1st batch with the skinny shafts. i didnt notice this at first because they had enough lifting power with walkera props on 6cm bamboo frame using 150mah nano batteries to deceive me. but on a full size frame with udi props and 600mah it would barely lift 1 meter. i looked like a fool trying to keep up with my friends lb saturday. what a turn of events! there is a huge performance difference between the ali motors with long thin black/white wires compared to these latest ones with short thick red/blue wires. i will not be buying any more from mike guo. fortunately focalprice s107 motors in the post #1 parts list are reliable and within budget.

so far from preliminary thrust tests or actual flight impressions in order of thrust:

1. 8.5mm v929 motors have most power but are heavy so need bigger battery and too expensive.

2. v939 and ladybird 720 motors have 1mm shaft and adequate power but cost more too.

3. s107 and ali wht/blk 716 motors almost as much power and within budget but skinny shaft needs glue.

4. aero ace props and motors have good lift but are hard to locate and expensive.

5. solar grasshopper 6mm pagers a lot less power and also need glue but are cheapest yet that actually work.

6. aliexpress blue/red 7mm, most 6mm, and all 4mm ones i tried barely lift if at all and not an option.

im wondering if the ones in jesolins or mystmans latest links are a reliable source of good motors. or if we can find other sources. few weeks ago i found a half dozen or so possible prospects at bidproduct and got a few on the way. they range in price from buck or two up to $4-$5 so weeeee shall see. maybe you do get what you pay for in this case.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: bidproduct?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
That's a bad good news , as I'm not an idiot with my 1mm-shaft-blue/red-7mm-ali motors :-)
So, I should not give up on diy quads ;-)
I'm not sure, if i should spend $18 just to test the 32000rpm motors...
But first I wait for my 720 motors from BG
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,872 Posts
V939 motors=3.5 USD each.
Walkera motors with arms=4.95 USD each
V929 motors=3.77 USD each(not so bad price)
Walkera Ladybird / Ladybird V2 Quadcopter motors = $2.87USD thanks to mystman(good price but they are without arms so the ratio price /work not so favourable)
UDI U 816 with arms=3.20 USD each(my favourite which I use).
I think we shouldn't complicate too much our life.U816 has the best ratio price/work for a quad hybrid.With a V939 controller is going to 22 USD(23-24 USDwith original V939 frame) best thing this money can buy with minimum amount of work.
In comparison V939 BNF is 33.35 USD. And the stock battery is rubish.

However my opinion is not waste anymore money on these motors and jump to the next level ...brushless motors with dave converter.It will be fun.
midelic is online now Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
You left out these motors :
7mm Hollow Cup Motor for Walkera Ladybird / Ladybird V2 Quadcopter = $2.87
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-7m...r-p-51897.html
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
505 Posts
anyone can tell me how long for banggood ship their stuff to US? 3 weeks like hobby king?
bigtruck169 is offline Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: tricopter video
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by udo View Post
i would love 2 see a video of the octo copter u made dave.
ive got a few buried in my camera so when i get time ill find and upload one.

Quote:
How much faster is the octo than a quad.?
im sure its faster but just how much im not sure. for me hovering in the same place and stability are more important. i like to see how high i can go and take pictures but not so much into flips and speed racing. imo planes are more effective if you want to go far away fast.

Quote:
Does any 1 already has an brushles 1 completed.?
i sent out a lot of those brush to brushless converters but afaik nobody has actually tried to fly yet. two guys have hooked up motors but ran into problems with battery requirements and throttle curve. apparently you need much higher current and capacity with brushless. as i found out the little parkzone lipos just dont cut it. any further developments should appear in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746379
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:43 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
I'm not sure, if i should spend $18 just to test the 32000rpm motors...
look at it this way: you can build 2 quads and have enough left over for a couple micro planes. i thought of buying a set myself but maybe better to wait and see how my bidproduct 7mms work out. or maybe we can split an order if youre nearby. where you located?

btw ive just determined even the red/blue ali pagers are more than enough for a light weight 2-4ch foamie. no 3d but quite up to the task for parkflying. performed far better than in the quad. not surprising since these multicopters are not famous for their efficiency.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
lor maybe we can split an order if youre nearby. where you located?
Around the corner....Germany :-) So, splitting an order wouldn't work well

Btw. Do you have link (or did I miss it?) for the bidproduct 7mms ?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
ok ok so what if shipping cost is 4x more than the motors. how come you guys dont put city/state or at least country in your avatar? it would be very helpful in cases like this and anyway predator drone attack on your home is unlikely with such general info. lol!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
Btw. Do you have link (or did I miss it?) for the bidproduct 7mms ?
he has one of the worst websites around. couple weeks ago i saved a half dozen links to 7mm motors and today not one works. service is not much better. dont be surprised if 6mm show up instead. its about 50:50 but hard to beat for prices and selection. ill let you search them out again as an after class exercise:

http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartlist.php?start=41
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
The Netherlands, GE, Doetinchem
Joined Apr 2012
79 Posts
version 1, finished.
step 2: build one to fit the foam frame.
step 3: build an octo.
step 4: design an brushless esc (with an msp430 or this: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts...cName=en556536 if it works)
step 5: build a brushless version with the 5 gram inrunners.
KoekieMonster is offline Find More Posts by KoekieMonster
Last edited by KoekieMonster; Oct 18, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:26 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
grosser fogel is jealous! that is one sweet build. i like the cf arms. very classy compared to my bamboo kluge. but we need to know how it flies. and remember: "no video... it didnt happen". a short one uploaded to the rcg gallery would be great.

and your 5 step program looks almost exactly like mine. except maybe for the diy esc part. if my experience is any indication this could take months or years. specially the code part. i must say it was very educational though and that was a big factor in helping get my ee degree and electronics business going. commercial units: less than $5, knowledge and fun from doing it scratch: PRICELESS!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
The Netherlands, GE, Doetinchem
Joined Apr 2012
79 Posts
If commercial ESC's were less then $5, I would just buy those, but with a feeling I can build for about $3 ~ $4 ea. and commercial starting at around $8 (for as far as I know) I think I can make something worth the effort. probably with an msp430(found a project of someone who has built one. he just programs in asm instad of C, so will be hard for me to recode..)

And will post a vid soon, just broke the arms because I filed a part out to route the wires through. didn't work for very long.
Flies great btw, just had a little problem at first with the loop function... not very handy indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
grosser fogel is jealous! that is one sweet build. i like the cf arms. very classy compared to my bamboo kluge. but we need to know how it flies. and remember: "no video... it didnt happen". a short one uploaded to the rcg gallery would be great.

and your 5 step program looks almost exactly like mine. except maybe for the diy esc part. if my experience is any indication this could take months or years. specially the code part. i must say it was very educational though and that was a big factor in helping get my ee degree and electronics business going. commercial units: less than $5, knowledge and fun from doing it scratch: PRICELESS!
KoekieMonster is offline Find More Posts by KoekieMonster