HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:05 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
There is an x-port available. When used you still have 4 channels working.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
There is an x-port available. When used you still have 4 channels working.
So do you run the esc off the x port somehow. Please describe in detail how to run an external esc. Do yoh need to drop the voltage to the board?
jaredeshadoan is offline Find More Posts by jaredeshadoan
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,244 Posts
The Russians are coming!!! Well I did get my Mig today and will get it hopefully up and flying tomorrow!! Soon the skies over America will be filled with squadrons of Migs seeking out those pesky little F-86's Let the battle begin.!!! Whipppeeee let's have some fun combat. It's nice to finally see some enemy fighter in the micro side. Now whose for some Japanese and German micro planes. We are hopefully getting the Spit soon too WOW. Now if only HH will get their sh#t together on the CC I'd be happy.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:24 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
jared - feed the power to the ESC from the lipo connection on the board. Connect the signal wire to the X-port signal wire.

If possible, I will find the signal to the on board ESC and tap it from there so I don't have to mess around with more channels etc.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
jared - feed the power to the ESC from the lipo connection on the board. Connect the signal wire to the X-port signal wire.

If possible, I will find the signal to the on board ESC and tap it from there so I don't have to mess around with more channels etc.
Thank you so much for this infornation. Do I need.to.do anykind of special programing?
jaredeshadoan is offline Find More Posts by jaredeshadoan
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:27 PM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
Maidened my MIG this evening in calm air. What a flyer! It is rock steady and can be slowed down for my 70 year old reflexes.

I ran out of juice however and pluncked it in on the last landing (I did 3 other landings with no issues) Nose was just slightly dented and it had fallen at least 20 feet nose first.

Very, very pleased!
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Hey nitro, I just saw your UM landing gears on youtube, will we be able to adapt these on the MIG15? Any thoughts about the front wheel?
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
The Mig has problems in that the aileron servo's are in the way. I am designing a servo adapter to take care of that and free up all the space under the wing. The nose wheel, although it will have to be fixed for now, can retract over the lipo if the compartment is made deeper(plenty of room to do that). It'll be a work in progress for sure.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
And how will it work? is it possible to create a single servo mechanism?

I was thinking one servo on the belly or even in the duct that is bound to the retracts through piano wire via plastic tubes that go through the fuselage.

Or are you planing a sevo for each wheel?

I also thought at the steering wheel and it could work if the retract would be attached to the wheel holder and the rod that works on the retract with some kind of joint, possibly hook shaped and very tight.

This could allow the wheel to turn to some extent... not fully though.

Man this would be an awesome scale plane with those retracts!
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,917 Posts
Have about 15 flights on mine since I got it last night. Love it!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:18 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I'm aiming for a single servo to drive it.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,917 Posts
Well I creased the horizontal stab a bit, and it seemed a little flimsy. So I used some 1mm CF rod/epoxy to stiffen it up. Man it is definitely stiff now I am going to try to find a little red tape to put over the top stick to hide it a little. Don't care about the bottom one.

Will be flying tomorrow so I'll see how it is. Loving this little plane!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:54 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
My fuse top and AS3X board 'accidentally' sprung off on my bench today....
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:56 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
963 Posts
Quote:
My fuse top and AS3X board 'accidentally' sprung off on my bench today....
Pics please!

Got the MiG mainly for the progammable board and servos, and buying it BNF is a lot cheaper than buying the parts separately.
And if I can remove the electronics without making a mess of it I suppose I could sell the airframe with motor/fan unit, recouping a bit of cost..

Of course now that I have it in my hands I'm having second thoughts, such a beautifully engineered model.
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Here's my initial findings of the board:

Firstly, I have said it many times and been flamed for it over in the other threads - there is no magical stabilisation system running in these things! There is simply a nice 3 axis gyro running in them(X,Y,Z)

It's using the Invensense ITG3205 3 axis gyro chip everyone else is using in everything (the IC on my board was manufactured in Dec 2010). It has an external clock for stability and it's being controlled by a standard controller/processor LPC1114/302. It is simply programmed as a master to receive the gyro inputs and mix them into the servo signals via IC method with the gains set to suit the model. The techheads in the multi rotor forum could really come in handy here!

The fact that the gyro is placed in standby mode until the throttle signal is raised shows that the processor can be programmed to turn the gyro off and on(standby) and since there are 6 channels on the board.... - you do the maths...

STBY_XG Put gyro X in standby mode (1=standby, 0=normal)
STBY_YG Put gyro Y in standby mode (1=standby, 0=normal)
STBY_ZG Put gyro Z in standby mode (1=standby, 0=normal)

If the processor loses it's connection with the gyro, the board will not function.

The voltage regulator is an LM29401 5.0 variable voltage regulator tied to 4.3V output.

The ESC FET's are 4606 FET's rated at max 30V and 6A.

Now, since I can't put the gyro into standby manually, I'll drop in a stripped down 6100 and CC Phoenix 10A and see how she flies without the AS3X in it.