HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2003, 11:13 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,940 Posts
Paint?

What paint should I use for painting the inside of a clear plastic canopy such as comes with the Eolo?

I have found Acrylic and Polycarbonate paint and donít know which to get. I will be using a brush.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2003, 12:24 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
If the Canopy is made of Lexan which is a brand name of the material polycarbonate, use the paint for Polycarbonate. Your going to want to paint the canopy from the inside. Basically the same way they paint the car bodies. If your'er using a brush, the end result may not be as good as airbrushing or spray painting. if your using multiple colors you will have to make sure you mask and layer correctly.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Oct 16, 2003, 01:01 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,810 Posts
pactra makes a line of paints that are designed for painting the interior of clear lexan RC car bodies. they should work well on the eolo canopy. my LHS carries pactra paints, so yours might too.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Oct 16, 2003, 05:42 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
Parma FasKolor is a water based airbrushing paint for R/C car bodies. I use it and it works well. Sprays well right from the bottle and cleans up easy. For airbrushing Pactra requires thinning and is a pain to clean up because it's a laquer based paint

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Oct 20, 2003, 01:07 PM
Gardners, Pa. 17324
Joined Sep 2001
92 Posts
I've tried to paint strips on the tail roters of my Eco 8, and it just peals off. Do you have any ideas as to what paint and preporations to make, to do a nice paint job on these rotors. I'm using the stock plastic blades and have tried sanding lightly, but that didn't work either.
Art
ECOFlir is offline Find More Posts by ECOFlir
Old Oct 20, 2003, 01:28 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Krylon makes a paint specifically for plastic. The only place Ive seen it so far is at walmart.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Oct 20, 2003, 01:38 PM
Honolulu Intl, Hawaii, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
You can also try pinstriping paint, it may or may not be more than you'd like to spend though. You can get it from a local custom paint shop or a local airbrush shop.

I never tried it on plastic but I do pinstriping on automobiles and the only prep is to clean the surface properly and it sticks solid to automotive clearcoats with no scuffing whatsoever so it might work well for your needs.
Astro30 is offline Find More Posts by Astro30
Old Oct 20, 2003, 04:02 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ECOFlir
I've tried to paint strips on the tail roters of my Eco 8, and it just peals off. Do you have any ideas as to what paint and preporations to make, to do a nice paint job on these rotors. I'm using the stock plastic blades and have tried sanding lightly, but that didn't work either.
Art
Scuff it with sandpaper and clean it with denatured alcohol.

You can use all sorts of paints. Krylon makes some really nice paints that can be used on plastics. Pactra R/C car paint will work. Midwest Formula U is also very good and flexible (won't flake off like Krylon is known to do). Various other automotive paints can be used, but they are expensive. Some plastics just don't accept paint very well. I would recommend a laquer type paint because it'll bond to the plastic better than an acrylic.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Oct 20, 2003, 04:21 PM
Gardners, Pa. 17324
Joined Sep 2001
92 Posts
Thank you all, for the information. This gives me a place to start. I was using Testers modeling paint, thinking "Hey, this is a model" and it just peals off like it was on wax paper. I will now have to do some shopping. Thanks again!
Art
ECOFlir is offline Find More Posts by ECOFlir