HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:18 PM
Walkera fan-boi
USA, FL, Sunny Isles Beach
Joined Jun 2009
166 Posts
Help!
mCPx Brushless conversion not working

I bought and installed last night a Brushless ESC conversion for my mCPx V1 but I can't seem to get the motor to spin up. I've got everything connected correctly, get confirmation tones from the motor as if everything is ready to go, but the main simply won't spin up.

I've swapped the C05M into my Walkera Genius CP (already converted to brushless) and it works fine, so the motor doesn't appear to be the problem. I took the working motor from the Genius CP, a C05, and connected it to the Oversky ESC and it also won't spin up. With everything powered up and connected, I can hear the ESC go through its programming sequence, although I haven't attempted to change anything as of yet. I didn't see on the basic instructions on the eBay sale anything talking about setting the max throttle liike in the old days

The ESC is an Oversky 6A one off eBay found here. I checked all of the visible solder joints as the ESC is wrapped in heatshrink and they are all solid, I even poked around with my multimeter to check for connectivity and the joints at the end of the circuit are good. Anything simple I might be missing or do I just have a defective unit?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie
MiniChopper4Me is offline Find More Posts by MiniChopper4Me
Last edited by MiniChopper4Me; Feb 04, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added picture of ESC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:46 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
That one connector looks like it needs to be cut and +/- needs to be soldered to the power on the mcpx main board, just wondering if you did that?
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
Walkera fan-boi
Joined Jun 2009
166 Posts
No for the time being I just connected it how it came. The battery goes to one connector, the second goes to the battery connector for the main board. Its supposed to install that way, although I would also normally solder it directly for better performance.

Right now I'm trying to get it to work as is, so that if its defective I can hopefully work it out with the seller.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:39 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Yes than especially if you metered out the leads to see if your getting volts to the boards through all connectors, it looks like a return/exchange. .

The only other thing you can try is to reprogram the esc to all defaults and see if maybe a register some how got ticked that shouldnt have in the esc's mcu.

Programming -

It can be programmed in 8 ways:

1 BRAKE: shut off/soft brake/hard brake, default is shut off.

Shut off-----------When throttle is at the lowest position, the motor will stop running slowly.

Soft brake----- When throttle is at the lowest position, the motor will stop with less force and brake time can be longer.

Hard brake----- When throttle is at the lowest position, the motor will stop instantly with more force. 当

2 Timing: low/middle/high, the default is middle.

Low------is recommended for high inductance or low KV motors

Middle------is compatible method for both high timing and low timing mode

High------ is recommended for low inductance or high KV motor

3 Start Mode: Fast/Soft/Very Soft, the default is Fast

Fast---------No delay response from start to highest throttle, it is for direct drive fixed-wing airplanes

Soft Start---------2 seconds response delay from start to highest throttle, it is for gearbox fixed-wing airplanes or helicopter

Very Soft------4 seconds response delay from start to highest throttle, it is for fixed-wing airplanes with gearbox or helicopters

4 Cut off type (low voltage protection mode): Reduce power and Cut off output power for selection, default is Reduce power

Reduce power------when the voltage is less than the setting voltage, ESC will reduce output power from the motor

Cut off power------ when the voltage is below the setting voltage, ESC will cut off power instantly

5 Throttle curve: Curve1/Curve2/Curve3, the default is Curve 1

6 Lipo battery numbers:automatically check/2 cells/3 cells/N cells,the default is automatic checking( no this choice for ESC only working with 1S pack)

7 Low Voltage protection: low(2.8V)/Middle(3.0V)/High(3.2V), the default is middle(3.0V)

8 Motor Rotation: Forward /Reverse

Normally, Forward and reverse rotation can be realized by exchange two wires on the motor. If the motor and ESC has been soldered and not convenient for exchanging the wires on the motor, Forward and Reverse rotation can also be realized by setting the ESC.

Steps for programming with transmitter

1 Enter programming mode

Pull the throttle stick to the lowest position, switch on the transmitter, connect the receiver with battery, push the throttle stick to the highest position when the LED light is on, and when the LED light is on again, it indicates entering Program Mode, after waiting for 4 seconds, when the tone“∫i3i3” is heard from the motor, that means Program Mode starts. Program Mode is cycling, each programming function gets identified tones.

2 Select program items

After entering Program Mode, you can hear 9 different tones in loop, the first 8 different tones each matches one program item. When you hear one of the tones and pull the throttle stick to lowest position, the program item has been selected.

3 Set item value (programming value)

After entering Program Mode, you can hear tones in loop, each tone matches one programming value, you can select the programming value by moving the throttle stick to the highest position, when “∫5656” is heard, it means the programming value is saved.

After 3 seconds, the ESC will return to the step 2, if the throttle stick is pulled to the lowest position within 2 seconds, the programming mode is exit.

4 Exit Program Mode:

There are two ways for exiting Program Mode:

1 On step 2, pull the throttle stick to lowest position when the ninth tones is heard;

2 On step 3, pull the throttle stick to lowest position as soon as “∫5656” is heard.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:11 PM
Walkera fan-boi
Joined Jun 2009
166 Posts
Thanks for the input, Heli. Going to try that and see what happens. Thankfully, the seller has already responded and is ready to send out a replacement unit Monday morning (thanks RCFlyAir!).

I'll report back with my findings!

Charlie
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:20 PM
Walkera fan-boi
Joined Jun 2009
166 Posts
Reprogramming did the trick!

Thanks for the help!

Charlie