Closed Thread
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:39 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,268 Posts
Discussion
Types of foam used in RC modeling?

I'd like to understand all the types of foam commonly used in RC modeling.

Can you help me fill out this list? What are their common uses? Is it a trade or generic name? Is it typically molded or cut from sheets? What's the full name? What glue works on it? Paint? etc, etc.

You would think somebody would have collected this information in one place before, but I've certainly not been able to find it!

EPS
EPO
Elapor
EPP
Blue Core
Blue Fan Fold
Depron
Dollar Tree craft board
XPS
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:45 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
There is little foam used in RC helis except for the tiny micros like the airhogs. You'd probably get more information in the plane forum where there is a lot more foamies.

I think the largest current heli that uses foam is the funcopter but not sure what that is.

*edit* did a quick search on the funcopter and it looks like it's made of EPP. I believe that there is foam safe ca available, not sure what else would be used.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:54 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Check out the Scratchbuilt forum in the fixed wing (airplane) section of the site. There's a TON of info there about different foams. It's a VERY common material in fixed wing, not quite so much in helicopters.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:03 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,268 Posts
oops!

Sorry guys, I was trying to post in the beginner Aircraft area. Thanks for the heads-up!!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Closed Thread