Closed Thread
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:46 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinG0 View Post
Thank you Tom. I was slightly disappointed for my bad luck with my camera, but now I feel more comfortable with knowing, that there is a good cameras and I'm gonna get help from my seller (eletoponline365).
Have a nice day!
FYI - After thinking & saving & thinking more, I ordered from elecoponline365, and got a 'we are on holiday' email when I ordered
- Oh Flip -
Then in the morning got another email saying 'Thanks, & will ship soon' (someone working their holiday !), so I sit here holding my breath .
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:20 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Hi all, Thanks again, I found this one http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
that works well on my computer and is pretty much idiot proof! It has its own ffdshow and needed to delete the one from #3 post.
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Thanks for the tests. Since my camera defaults to 7000 kbps and does not toggle up to 10000 kbps, it now seems that might be the difference... those that default to 10000 kbps might be the only ones that can be toggle back and forth?
For my camera HD720p, we put the red lens with a colleague to test 2GB card from your mobile phone.
It was impossible to change the mode and 7Mbs 10Mps and the camera recorded only 6,2-6.8 Mbs.
After changing the card Sandisk 4GB class6 again recorded in the camera mode, as he placed a 10Mbs or 7Mbs ie.
It seems to me that the card does not allow low-class to seize the opportunities HD720P.
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:35 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
For my camera HD720p, we put the red lens with a colleague to test 2GB card from your mobile phone.
It was impossible to change the mode and 7Mbs 10Mps and the camera recorded only 6,2-6.8 Mbs.
After changing the card Sandisk 4GB class6 again recorded in the camera mode, as he placed a 10Mbs or 7Mbs ie.
It seems to me that the card does not allow low-class to seize the opportunities HD720P.
I use Transcend 4GB Class 6 cards... very fast, and mine would not toggle to the higher bit rate. But I don't mind... the higher bit rate just makes the files bigger and adds no visible improvement to the video that my eye can detect.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohansayian View Post
In Tom Frank's post #3 he says that if you are recording and the camera runs out of battery, your file is lost. This is incorrect. When I was using my two 808 #3s if you are recording and the camera runs out of battery... the file isn't shown, but is HIDDEN. It can be recovered by using the error checking tool in windows. You still have to mess with a Hex editor to append the header onto the video part... but after you do it it works correctly. Make sure you turn on hidden files.

A tutorial of this can be found on Chuck Lohr's website (http://www.chucklohr.com/808/#RecoverZeroLengthAviFiles)

The reason I bring this up is because I am having the same zero length video file issue with my 808 #11 HD, but I am unable to find the header (atleast I gave up after line 70000).

Anyone have any fixes?
Well if you can't recover it, it's lost, isn't it? The header is the very FIRST portion of the file, you shouldn't have to search for it. BUT, the header fix that Chuck talks about is specific to an .AVI file format, NOT a .MOV file format like the HD key cam writes to the card. So the identification procedure he talks about will not work, and is the reason you couldn't find it.

When you say you get a zero length file, does it leave any icon that shows up as a regular file, but with zero bytes? Or, are you saying you recover some file fragments that are totally hidden with no visible indication there unless you run a file repair program? I've not bothered even trying because I dont' know what the .MOV file structure looks like. Maybe when I get my replacement camera back, I'll run a test to see if anything is there when the battery dies.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 31, 2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Maybe you missed this recent post of mine? I've found you can use any plain, generic, USB charger that works from your mains plug if you just start the camera recording first with the camera disconnected, THEN connect the mains supply. It will continue to charge and record until your flash card is full after that!
Tom (or anyone else) - could you please double check this is the case with your camera? I tried this today and found that by connecting the power after pressing record only a single 20min clip is recorded. After 20 minutes recording stops and does not restart.

Are you doing anything else?

Thanks!
Jiffy82517 is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy82517
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy82517 View Post
Tom (or anyone else) - could you please double check this is the case with your camera? I tried this today and found that by connecting the power after pressing record only a single 20min clip is recorded. After 20 minutes recording stops and does not restart.

Are you doing anything else?

Thanks!
Thanks for raising a red flag!

I can't test mine because I sent it back due to mal-focusing issues, and don't expect to have a replacement for at least 3 weeks due to the Chinese new years holiday. I THOUGHT I started my test with an essentially dead battery, with just enough juice to start a video, then plugged it in and it continued recording for a lot longer time than it otherwise would have. So it was not running on battery power all that time.

Now I don't recall if I let it run past the 20 min. auto stop/save/restart point, so hopefully someone else will confirm your results and report back here. I guess it's possible the camera will not restart automatically after the auto stop kicks in with the generic charger plugged in, just as it won't start the first time with it plugged in. If that's the case, I need to edit my post, but will wait to see if someone else can confirm you findings.

When we get the continuous recording firmware that was promised, this won't be a problem since the camera would not stop recording on it's own until the card fills up. But anyone that has the auto stop/save/continue function would have the problem.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
So what is the situation with the emergency charger?
Does it not add any additional time to recordings?
Could someone please tell me what is the maximum recording time they get using the cam battery + the emergency charger?
And what do you guys think about this charger:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMERGENCY-BATTER...ht_3331wt_1081

It looks the same, would it work with this keycam?
Thank you!
sss111 is offline Find More Posts by sss111
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:28 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
sss111 you should look HERE
ShinG0 is offline Find More Posts by ShinG0
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Hi all, Thanks again, I found this one http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
that works well on my computer and is pretty much idiot proof! It has its own ffdshow and needed to delete the one from #3 post.
Tom
Tom, since I had not tried that one, I gave it a quick test. For what it can do, it seems to do it very well. But if you haven't done so, you should make a custom preset setting for the HD key cam or your video will be degraded horribly.

When you output your video to .AVI format, you are presented with a window to select a "preset" setting. If you select "same as source", the output video bit rate is only 3283 kbps on my test video, when the source bit rate was actually 7060 kbps. If you want to retain as much quality and detail as your original, you need to jack up the bit rate to be the same as your original. You can see what that is by right-clicking on the video file icon, then click on "properties/detail" and you'll see the total bit rate for that video. That's what you want to match when using Freemake.

So when the preset screen appears, click on the small blue gear "edit" icon under the default "same as source" preset selection (see attached picture). That will pop open another small "Preset editor" window where you can make changes to the settings (see the second attached picture). Select "Custom" for the bit rate and change the rate to match your clip. Chances are, most of your clips will all be about the same, so you can just give that profile a new name like I did (e.g. "HD Key Cam") and save it. The next time you do a conversion, just pick that profile name and you'll be all set to start the conversion.

FWIW, I also lowered the audio parameters in my profile since high quality audio of my motor sounds and stereo when the camera only records mono is just adding unnecessary length to the file. If you are recording for a doppler fly-by to convert later for speed calcs, you might want to leave the sound settings at their defaults. Too bad the program doesn't convert audio out to .WAV format... you'd be all set!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 31, 2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added bolding and correct terminology for clarity
Old Jan 31, 2011, 06:28 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Thank you very much Tom. I'm very grateful that you took the time to do what you do and tell me what to do...
Quote:
You can see what that is by right-clicking on the video file icon, then click on "properties/detail" and you'll see the total bit rate for that video
I think my XP doesn't give the same dialog box as others, when I right click the icon the popup has paste, remove, rename and edit.
Next is learning how to make a dual image video having onboard cam and hat cam combined!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Jan 31, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss111 View Post
Could someone please tell me what is the maximum recording time they get using the cam battery + the emergency charger?

Thank you!
I don't think that charger you have linked to will work. Powering+recording at the same time is achieved by providing power on a non-standard usb port. It's almost certain that the cable supplied with that charger will be of the standard variety.
Jiffy82517 is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy82517
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss111 View Post

Thank you!
See the FAQ's in post #3. Also, read back a page or so and you'll find a recent post on charge time. Still under testing...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:31 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
My E-charger does absolutely nothing...I tried it every way possible and it dont give any more recording time...it dont charge when battery is dead...its JUNK!!...lostheli said he got 3- 20min clips...guess we need more feedback from others...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster View Post
My E-charger does absolutely nothing...I tried it every way possible and it dont give any more recording time...it dont charge when battery is dead...its JUNK!!...lostheli said he got 3- 20min clips...guess we need more feedback from others...
You are not the only one to report it does nothing. But so far, no one has actually measure and reported the voltage out from one that works.

I assume everyone is making sure the battery that goes in it is a good one.
Closed Thread