HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2010, 10:47 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Discussion
thinking about a soling

hi guys well i'm thinking about getting a soling from a friend. besides the obvious (tattered sails, cracked hull) what should i be looking for to determine if it's worth putting into my fleet? i have yet to get it in hand, and sail it, but what should i be looking for. i've herd of a building jig, so i assume the hull can twist during it's build. is it just a matter of looking for a twist in the hull?

now the $10,000 question. what's a fair price to offer if it looks good? it sells for $135. my general rule of thumb you will get 1/2 the new price for a used rc item. would $65 be a insult? not sure what all will come with it as of yet, but would like a good starting price.

well tonight was race night at the pond. USOM i've been doing much better this year. i've gone from being last place to being 5th place behind our ton 4 skippers!!!! the past 3 weeks i've been doing better each week. i've been saying the last 2 weeks "i'm doing a better shade of crap." witch i was, but this week.... hokey smokes i've been on fire. passing boats on there leward side. i've always said "if i could only learn to sail. my boat is fast enough to win." well it seems it could happen. we even had very light wind, and i sux in light wind. you have no idea sa to how good it felt today. a day to remember.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:02 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
222 Posts
Doom, I think you are a little off on your pricing, you are looking at a built boat not a kit, Victors sells prebuilt Soling 1 M for $650 so half of that would be $375, most used Soling's I have seen run from $300 to $500. The jig is used to make sure the keel and rudder are in line with the hull.
John R.
tbarjohn is online now Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:03 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
would $65 be a insult?
I don't know what the market is for a S1M- I know there are active fleets everywhere and if an owner wanted to sell, there would be plenty of offers to buy ...but I would consider an offer of $65 for a nice S1M an insult- careful when lowballing friends-

there are building jigs that keep the keel and hull aligned when bonding everything together- it will be fairly obvious if there is a problem there.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:14 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
ok what's a fair price? again i'm not sure what will come with it, so let's say just the boat. no electronics. the electronics i can figure out a price on.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:18 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
Less radio? maybe take $50 off of the price range John R. suggests?
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:57 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,324 Posts
Doom -

from AMYA classified ads .......... $200 to $500 .... all depending on condition and options.

http://www.theamya.org/classifieds/
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:07 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
I don't know what the market is for a S1M- I know there are active fleets everywhere and if an owner wanted to sell, there would be plenty of offers to buy ...but I would consider an offer of $65 for a nice S1M an insult- careful when lowballing friends-

there are building jigs that keep the keel and hull aligned when bonding everything together- it will be fairly obvious if there is a problem there.
not trying to justify my price, but there are no soling fleets near by. have yet to even see the boat, and as i understand it's in his dads attic at the moment. plastic, and high heat in a attic for 3 years (that i know of. he's had it for almost 10 years, and not much use.) is kinda bothering me on it's state of condition.

his dad sounds motivated to get it out of the house, and my friend knows it will be going to a good home. there again i had no idea that they were selling for so much. also that's why i was asking here, and not making a offer to him.

i have just acquired 2 other victor boats for free. a stars, and stripes, and a Australia II. traded a AC less electronics for them, and a set of sails for my US1M. no i didn't get rapped on the deal. i got that free as well. i can only get it, and myself in my car at the same time, need a second person to launch/recover it, and a winch for it is $250+. ya $250+ is cheap for a AC, but it will probably need a new set of sail also. my club only races them once a year if enough guys show for the regatta.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:10 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Doom -

from AMYA classified ads .......... $200 to $500 .... all depending on condition and options.

http://www.theamya.org/classifieds/
hmmm well i have yet to see it. could be all warped from the attic heat.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:14 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
If it is warped from the heat in the attic, save your money!
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:27 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
no doubt about that. i'll be honest though. i'm kinda hopeing the mast, and sails are junk, or at least the sails. i should be able to get it for a song then.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 09:50 AM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
If it has been melting in the attic with ancient electronics, the mast and sails might be what you want to buy. If you're thinking of building a new boat, the rudder and keel from the old one may be useful as well.
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:11 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
well as i have said before. i have yet to see it.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
Puddle Pirate
Space Coast Florida
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Puddle Pirate

I have two friends who bought their boats for $50 bucks each and found them on Craigslist.com. You can't go wrong with a Soling 1M.

Both boats had issues but the Soling is a simple boat and can be worked into shape easily. If you find one of those serious guys with a good boat you will pay handsomely but miss out on all the builder fixer conversation which is fun in it's own right. I'm new to the RC world (one year) but building is as much fun as sailing because it's "your work" that is making the grade. Just a feel-good thang!

The only time you're gonna need that builder jig is if you have to build from scratch or remove and re-install a keel.

One of those $50 dollar boats is a champ sailor so don't think you can't find one cheap. Just be patient. I personally think they are nowhere near worth the prebuilt price but others will certainly disagree I'm sure.

The cracked hull thing is doable if you understand plastics. It ain't rocket science but there are some things to know about adhesives and what they will stick to. I just recently had my boat take a tumble in the back of ny truck creating a nasty little 3 tier crack. I rough sanded the interior, cleaned the surface with xylol, then used small pieces of finishing cloth in cross pattern layers. I used West System Epoxy (the Best!) to wet out the mat. On the exterior I rough sanded again and thickened the epoxy with West Sys 404 and smeared it into the outside of the crack. While curing I have learned to take a small piece of wax paper and smooth it into the exterior work so the sanding is minimal. The west sys product is far more dense than the plastic so graet care must be used in sanding so you don't accidently sand through the hull plastic.

The boys at the pond can't even see where the repair was made.

If you can get the guy to lay his price out there you'll be less offensive in bargaining. Otherwise offer what you feel because it really doesn't matter what anyone else paid!

Rik

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
hi guys well i'm thinking about getting a soling from a friend. besides the obvious (tattered sails, cracked hull) what should i be looking for to determine if it's worth putting into my fleet? i have yet to get it in hand, and sail it, but what should i be looking for. i've herd of a building jig, so i assume the hull can twist during it's build. is it just a matter of looking for a twist in the hull?

now the $10,000 question. what's a fair price to offer if it looks good? it sells for $135. my general rule of thumb you will get 1/2 the new price for a used rc item. would $65 be a insult? not sure what all will come with it as of yet, but would like a good starting price.

well tonight was race night at the pond. USOM i've been doing much better this year. i've gone from being last place to being 5th place behind our ton 4 skippers!!!! the past 3 weeks i've been doing better each week. i've been saying the last 2 weeks "i'm doing a better shade of crap." witch i was, but this week.... hokey smokes i've been on fire. passing boats on there leward side. i've always said "if i could only learn to sail. my boat is fast enough to win." well it seems it could happen. we even had very light wind, and i sux in light wind. you have no idea sa to how good it felt today. a day to remember.
Puddle Pirate is offline Find More Posts by Puddle Pirate
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
no doubt. everything is only worth what you can get for it, and no more. yes a soling sells for $600 plus if bought threw a club, or the classifieds at AMYA, but this boat isn't coming threw either of those places. i hope to get it for a song, but haven't herd back from him yet. oh well i'll be getting my stars and stripe, and australia ll sometime this week. maybe the soling won't materialize. who knows. to be honest it really doesn't matter at this point. i think i was in my collector mode again. the gotta have feeling has moved on.

bought a new bicycle, and looking forward to peddling off some weight. need to figure out a way to get my boats to the pond via peddle power.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:11 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,043 Posts
A Burley kid trailer would be ideal.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave