SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Well I put new mainshaft bearings in mine and it took care of the noise, also put in the new INO-LAB tail servo.

I'm still suffering from power loss and heavy vibration, Ive got a new Lipo and ESC coming, but that wont help with the vibrations , and they are BAD.

I do notice that the blade tracking is off buy what appears to be at least 1/2", I must say that I did crash this thing pretty good a few times due to loss of gyro control.

I really dont see anyway to adjust the blade tracking and nothing is broken. I wonder if the feathering shaft could be bent. With this setup its kind of crazy with the pin in the one piece head.

BTW, I did replace the mainshaft with a new one, the old one wasnt bent tho.

Can anybody please give me a clue as to what to do to get the tracking sorted ?
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:01 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
658 Posts
Gently pull the adjustable ball link off of the swashplate ball, rotate the link 360 degrees (ball links have two different sides, the inside has a very slightly larger diameter than the outside) and reinstall. See if tracking gets worse or better. Adjust accordingly.

Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Thanks DT, I need to swap out the links and rods over to the adjustable first, I'm still running the fixed links. I also need to get my home made Z links out of there, I have a new set, I was just waiting to use them as a template for extras. just having a poblem finding piano wire around here. Will work on it later today.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
YIPPIE !! I replaced the Z-links along with the 2 swash arm links and adjusted those according to the build sheet specs (62mm). The tracking is much better and the vibration is minimal. With this blade holder being solid on one side and having a large slot on the other, I dont imagine that blade tracking will ever be perfect due to flex on the one side.
Anyway it now hovers just fine and for some reason the power loss thing is gone too. For some reason the massive vibration must have been affecting something else in the system.
I still have a little bit of a tail wag on occasion, I'm up to 81% on the HH, it seems to get better the higher I go.
Still havent flown it far due to lack of room , so I'm not sure the tail will hold now with the Ino-Lab servo. But it sure is flying a ton better than it was.... there may be hope yet.

Thank you to all that have helped me, I could not have done it without you guys, the next rounds on me
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Mar 2010
658 Posts
Congratulations. Hope you also find this funky chicken to be an enjoyable laid-back pattern flyer.

The tracking should end up quite good but it can never be perfect, as with CP, the resolution is basically +/-1 turn of the ball link, unless you use turnbuckles.

Use one fixed link and one adjustable, that way you should have a spare set if they get sprayed and lost in a crash.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:07 PM
Jesus Freak
Southern CA
Joined Oct 2008
3,209 Posts
good deal War Horse. make sure that the rod going through the blade holder is flush on the open side. I've dropped CA on both sides of the the holder to keep it from slipping.

you can get the tracking perfect, but just adjust one of the links that looks like a '7' I marked mine with a marker and that would be the only link i would ever adjust

i had to run up in the 80% range for my tail to hold the way i like, but you have to make sure that the tail gears are not binding and have no chips or anything in them.
AtTheCross is offline Find More Posts by AtTheCross
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Nov 2012
21 Posts
hi hi

vctrc 550 combo set
Samhobby is offline Find More Posts by Samhobby
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
That worked out good, 2 turns and the tracking is about spot on.

Now to find a large clear field to spead some wings, i have a set of cheapy video glasses coming and once I figure those out and how to post a video, I be back to strut my stuff
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:33 AM
Jesus Freak
Southern CA
Joined Oct 2008
3,209 Posts
Looking forward to the video
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Arrgggg, a new one

I didnt see this one addressed so far, so here goes;

I cant get rid of the tail wag (my wife even had to point out how stupid it looked )
The instructions for the Assan GA250 have a added paper that referes to setting delay, it states that it listed after servo type. So my question is do I leave the servo unplugged for that to come up? If so does setting the delay higher help with the wag ?

BTW , I left the gyro in default for the new InoLab HG-D26HB, nobody ever gives the US and Hz rating for a servo, so I'm not sure on that either.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:24 PM
Jesus Freak
Southern CA
Joined Oct 2008
3,209 Posts
sorry, i never used a GA250, I had one or two, just never got around to installing them
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I have a new HK401B, would that be a better choice? Of course no instructions came with that one but I'm sure they are in the file in HK. I can dig for them if it would be a more suitable gyro.

And how does one know what the US and Hz is of a given servo when its not listed in the specs or the papper work with it?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:54 PM
Jesus Freak
Southern CA
Joined Oct 2008
3,209 Posts
from what i've heard, the GA250 would be the better choice between the two. for the servo specs you can check http://www.servocity.com/ but don't know if they have INO servos in their database
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
658 Posts
According to Spartan it looks like the '261 will take up to 333 Hz, and it's a 1520us pulse width of course.

http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/servodb/servo.php

By wag do you mean a slow lumbering drift or beating itself to death?

If slow then crank up the gain, if fast then drop the gain.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Its not beating its self to death, more like very few seconds its like the tail of a fish swimming quick. I've had the gain up to 90 and down to 51, in .5 increments, it never goes away, but gets worse at the extremes.
Hard to explain. I need to get the camera glasses I ordered and will try to post a video then. Hope I can figure the camera out, I'm so far behind the techno curve, it isnt funny.