HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Dr Kiwi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 03:49 AM
Registered User
Fourdan's Avatar
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoble View Post
I just added a new feature to that site that was suggested to me by bbjsw10, and I would like some feedback about it. He suggested that I add a way to find other motors that are similar to the one your looking at, which I though was a great idea so I added it to the site. Here is a direct link showing similar motors for a Dualsky - XM 2822 CA-24

Previously when viewing a motor there was a "Compare" link located under its name. I replaced that with a "Show Similar" link. When you follow it, you will see a table with the name/weight/kv/dimensions of the motor you were viewing and below it is a second table showing the same fields for all "similar" motors.

Right now a "similar" motor is one that is within +/- 10% of the weight and +/- 20% of the Kv.

I'd like to know what you think about the values I used to find similar motors and also if there is something you don't like about the way its being displayed. Any other feed back is also welcome.

Thanks,
Robert
Hi Robert
Good
An option could be to enter
a) The motor to show "the similar ones"
b) or directly the weight AND the Kv (if there is no motor in the forks answer would be "no close motor found")
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:48 AM
I crash planes
bbjsw10's Avatar
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoble View Post
I just added a new feature to that site that was suggested to me by bbjsw10, and I would like some feedback about it. He suggested that I add a way to find other motors that are similar to the one your looking at, which I though was a great idea so I added it to the site. Here is a direct link showing similar motors for a Dualsky - XM 2822 CA-24

Previously when viewing a motor there was a "Compare" link located under its name. I replaced that with a "Show Similar" link. When you follow it, you will see a table with the name/weight/kv/dimensions of the motor you were viewing and below it is a second table showing the same fields for all "similar" motors.

Right now a "similar" motor is one that is within +/- 10% of the weight and +/- 20% of the Kv.

I'd like to know what you think about the values I used to find similar motors and also if there is something you don't like about the way its being displayed. Any other feed back is also welcome.

Thanks,
Robert
Thanks, Robert for taking my suggestion and going through with it. I tried it out and that is a great feature now I can find options rapidly. I was always a doubter of the "make suggestions box" but this changed my mind a little.
bbjsw10 is offline Find More Posts by bbjsw10
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:20 PM
Registered User
rgoble's Avatar
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdan View Post
Hi Robert
Good
An option could be to enter
a) The motor to show "the similar ones"
b) or directly the weight AND the Kv (if there is no motor in the forks answer would be "no close motor found")
Louis
Louis,

The has had the ability to "b" for quite a while. On the search page there is a link to the advance page which takes you to http://www.flybrushless.com/search/advance

On that page you can enter the min and max ranges for several of the motor properties such as weight, kv, etc.

I have something similar in the works for looking at props.

Robert
rgoble is offline Find More Posts by rgoble
Last edited by rgoble; Jan 29, 2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:52 PM View Post
Romauld Kerba
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:57 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romauld Kerba View Post
Hi,Have you ever used Motors from http://xxxx ? Please recommend me some motors,my hotmail is xxxEMAIL]

Romaud,

We will need a little more information to respond to your question. What kind of plane do you want or need a new motor? Is it EDF, glider, scale warbird, helicopter, or what?

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 18, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:54 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,375 Posts
Bill, this guy is a salesman trying to push his product IMO. All his started threads are for products from the one company YINENG CHINA HOLDINGS GROUP CO., LIMITED. I would ignore.

Just my 2c

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Romaud,

We will need a little more information to respond to your question. What kind of plane do you want or need a new motor? Is it EDF, glider, scale warbird, helicopter, or what?

Bill
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Bill, this guy is a salesman trying to push his product IMO. All his started threads are for products from the one company YINENG CHINA HOLDINGS GROUP CO., LIMITED. I would ignore.

Just my 2c

John
Somebody reported him to the admins. That's good.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 05:37 PM
I crash planes
bbjsw10's Avatar
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Prof100, I would almost edit post #350 to remove his link. Just my .02
bbjsw10 is offline Find More Posts by bbjsw10
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:04 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Kokopeli's Avatar
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Phil needs to do that, if he wants to.
He is the moderator of this thread.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:22 PM
Registered User
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,522 Posts
All he has to do is click the edit button on his post and delete the links. Anyone can edit their own posts.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:42 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
Prof100, I would almost edit post #350 to remove his link. Just my .02
I edited the quote section so the link is gone.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Okay, to return to databases, are we all interested in a prop database similar to the motor one? Collect whatever is available from the OEMs and measure everything else? Do we end up with thrust versus RPM, drag coefficient, max RPM, max efficiency RPM, yada yada yada?

Also, I'd like to see a prop database contain lots of hub information. For instance, all the GWS EP series "slow fly" props that go directly on to 3 mm shafts also have that phunky hex nut boss, but they vary in the depth of the boss. Therefore, some prop savers fit snug to the face of the boss and some of them smack the bottom of the boss, so the prop wobbles on the saver. Is this the kind of info we can collect?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:35 PM
Registered User
rgoble's Avatar
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
I have though about how I could use all of the existing test data to show information to compare props but I wasn't quite sure what to show.

I thought about making a graph that showed all of the measured rpm/thrust data on a chart to let you compare props. Or even something like current vs rpm/thurst etc.

If you can give me specifics on what you would like to see I can get some charts put together (assuming it uses the existing data on the site).

Robert
rgoble is offline Find More Posts by rgoble
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Well, I still believe we need to chase down the prop OEMs and start demanding thrust vs RPM and maximum RPM data. They should be able to provide this, eh? I mean, if there's anybody who has a handle on how a prop will perform it's the OEM, wouldn't you agree? And if not, then why not?

We should be holding the propeller OEMs feet to the fire. If they want us to buy their product the least they can do is provide some numbers that they must have generated themselves even before building a prop. If we can get their research into our grubby little mitts then we can apply further science to determine efficiency, etc.

I am hoping the prop OEMs can give us standardized numbers like thrust per RPM at sea level, 25 C, 75% relative humidity, yada yada. If so then we really can compare apples to apples.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:08 PM
Registered User
rgoble's Avatar
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
Heres an example graph of an APC SF 9x4.7 showing thrust and g/W vs RPM.

Robert
rgoble is offline Find More Posts by rgoble
Last edited by rgoble; Feb 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Attached image
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion combining data for different brands of motors derway Power Systems 3 Oct 29, 2006 11:23 AM
Test pilots wanted for our AON brushless motors on E-flite Mini-Edge 540 3D ARF. Steven Chao 3D Flying 0 Aug 29, 2005 02:10 AM
motor/prop test bench txzagi Power Systems 9 May 08, 2002 04:36 PM
motor/prop test bench txzagi Fuel Plane Talk 1 May 06, 2002 06:48 PM
Where to Get Service for Jeti Phasor Brushless Motors? GoEFlight Vendor Talk 2 Jan 09, 2002 11:34 AM