HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:36 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
339 Posts
Practice day report

Several folks showed up today for XC practice at Monroe Central school. The conditions looked good, but thermals seemed rare and moved quickly. But the XC ships (and pilots) needed some time to shake the dust off and get back in the grove.

A little after 1PM Tom hooked up with a nice thermal and decided to head out on the course. Chuck had his hands full replacing a burned out servo, so I got to drive for Tom and Wally. With assistance from a steady NNW wind and just a few stops for more altitude, we made it to the 10K turnaround in no time. But the lift stopped there as we looked North for the first time and saw what was on the way.

Tomorrows flights will be recorded. Preregistration not required, come on out and fly!

David
dbeach is online now Find More Posts by dbeach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:53 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
339 Posts
First flight turned in

Team Wally - 1.2 miles

Wally was first on the course this morning flying his Pike Perfect. He made it to the 2K marker, and opted to turn back in order to complete his LSF level IV goal and return.

Congratulations Wally,
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:00 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
339 Posts
Team Peter off to a slow start

Peter had some telemetry issues that needed attention before launching. Thankfully, things got squared away and his team is out on the course.

More to come...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:45 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
339 Posts
Day 1 standings

The conditions were tough, but all three teams got out on the course and posted scores. The winds were less than yesterday, but the cloud cover was thick and low limiting max altitudes to about 1800 feet.

Team Chuck logged 6.6 miles, making the turn but not much more. Team Peter almost completed a full lap with a total distance of 11.8 miles.

With everybody back at the launch site shortly after noon we took a lunch break. The radar looked nasty, but the storms were still miles away and moving slowly. A few more launches were taken without much success, and the competitors decided to call it a day about 2PM. We got everything packed up under dry conditions but the rain was steady by the time we got back to the AMA field.

Day 1 point standings:

Team Peter 1000
Team Chuck 559
Team Wally 101
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:41 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
339 Posts
Day 2 - another slow start

Marginal conditions this morning, but Team Chuck got on the course and posted a whopping 0.6 mile distance with Chuck's Ava.

Several launches later (and a few raindrops) they are back on the course with Tom's MXC.

Wally took this panorama shot from the Walmart parking lot this morning.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:06 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
339 Posts
Team Chuck made it to the turn

Team Chuck made it to the turn but once again was denied the return flight.

Distance for attempt #2: 6.2 miles.

Team Peter set out on the course well behind Chuck, but were seen in good air heading for the turn.

Team Wally is out on the course now.
Last edited by dbeach; Jun 30, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:09 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
339 Posts
Peter is back!

Peter has a story to tell, so I'll leave the details to him.

Distance flown: 7.4 miles.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
339 Posts
Final results

Team Wally is back with a flight of 5 miles. The we've got light rain now and gusty winds. Pilots have all agreed to call it a day.

Today's scores:

Peter - 7.4 miles, 1000 points
Chuck - 6.2 miles, 837 points
Wally - 5.0 miles, 675 points

Final standings:

Team Peter - 2000 points
Team Chuck - 1396 points
Team Wally - 776

Not the best weather, but still lots of fun with challenging conditions.

David
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:18 AM
traverse city mi
Joined Mar 2004
148 Posts
hi to all,
Sunday was a tough going. I will post a better report once I an home. I started the race with 400 feet out the gate

Peter
baum58 is online now Find More Posts by baum58
Old Jul 03, 2013, 06:24 PM
traverse city mi
Joined Mar 2004
148 Posts
How bad I wanted to win:
Let’s quick review Saturday.
The day started with low hanging fog. My team (Mike and Brian) arrived at the start field. The telemetric was not working, so I did some rebuild on the spot and got it working.
Over the winter I made some changes to Frankenstein (named by Mike) like camber and reflex, fairings for the flaps, telemetric feedback & new, better colors.
The fog lifted and the cloud base was at 1500 feet, not much to work with, but we got ready to go. It was time to get into the air. I was not in a hurry trimming my glider. Lift was measured at 2 to 3 ks. The wind was not a factor. I stayed high (1400feet) and had an easy time to get to the 10k mark. By that time I passed the other competitors. The clouds darkened all around us, with some sirens going off. I landed just short off the starting gate. I was only on the course for one hour.
My team members where able to fly Frankenstein, no one returned on course, my lead was too great.
Sunday’s weather was worse yet. Low hanging dark clouds, not soaring weather…till a doughnut hole appeared. The sky was all dark in all direction and blue overhead. So we launched. No good lift for me and the wind starting to pick up. One competitor got away and I tried to follow but did not succeed. Three more launches, nothing , nothing , nothing. I had to go on course to score some points. Frankenstein is big: 208 in span, 4.5kg. Reluctantly I went on course to chase the blue sky with 400f under me. Bad start, my competitor left at 1800f. Half a mile in I manage to find lift. 2ks did get me to 1000f with the wind blowing me 90degrees off line. Net gain after 20min of flying was 400f. From there on I cussed and scratched a flight together of 7.4 miles. I was never higher than 1000f and was as low as 200f. I was flying behind trees, houses and power lines, worrying about losing my glider. My team informed me of possible landing sites all the time. I had to land between a high power line, a ridge of 100f and a corn field.
This was by far my most challenging flight in years never knowing if I was going to make it or not, or ever worse loosing Frankenstein. Thanks to my team I did finish first and Frankenstein “is alive”.

Peter Baumeler
baum58 is online now Find More Posts by baum58