Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistaJ View Post
I built a wing dedicated to fpv
It flies really nicely but the wing flatters when exceeding speed of 110 km per hour..

It is not the aileron it is the whole wing that flatters.
Any advice.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2291
Just make the wing stiffer. Remember that flutter is a twisting force, so minimize twist, not bending.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drake
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:14 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,961 Posts
Just change 110 kph to mph. That's only about 68. The wings shouldn't flutter anymore at that speed.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
all about the FUN !

KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Just change 110 kph to mph. That's only about 68. The wings shouldn't flutter anymore at that speed.
That doesn't sound very fast or loud though. It just sounds like an XXXTreme parkflyer (great for beginner and Xperts!) Something someone would put a 3 axis gyro on and crash a lot.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:29 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
ROFL! That's priceless!!!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:38 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Hi folks, just bought an electric Zagi. Interesting thread, but as a newbie, to flying wings, I hope to have some fun. Who is this tic chap, have I missed any thing. Cheers
Fly Boy3 is offline Find More Posts by Fly Boy3
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:56 AM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy3 View Post
Hi folks, just bought an electric Zagi. Interesting thread, but as a newbie, to flying wings, I hope to have some fun. Who is this tic chap, have I missed any thing. Cheers
Tic loves Zagi and owns several. Don't believe what you read about TIC not liking Zagis. Its not true. Tic wears boxers with Zagi pictures on them.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:07 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Nice one AZ. One question, whats the best way to launch an electric pusher Zagi "safely". Cheers
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:43 AM
Gilbert AZ
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
I have launched a Zagi twice in my lifetime but launched many other wings. Launch with the motor off. Hold it by the bottom with one hand and hold the radio with the other. Give it a firm slightly up toss and give it full power after it has a good glide angle. First flight you should have someone launch it for you. This is the best I can describe my method.

The key here is always launch a pusher wing with power off unless you like bloody fingers.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:56 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Thanks AZ. You are right, better to be safe than sorry, seen some bad cuts from pushers in last few years, so I will be taking your advice. Thanks again. ps thinking of glueing small shaped piece of blue foam under neath wing to help in holding model pre launch. Bad idea ?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:22 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,320 Posts
Here's some videos of wing tosses. the pizza toss is the safest for flying wing designs. You don't want your hand at the trailing edge when a prop is doing 32,000rpm.

mw

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5498
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...40&postcount=2
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162415
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:34 PM
Gilbert AZ
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Yea kind of like a Pizza Toss. People will launch with the motor on but do it at your own risk. I haven't had the need to glue anything on the bottom to hold on to for the launch.

Practice power off Launches over tall grass and glide in for landing. This will give you practice and give you an Idea if it needs trimming. It should perform a long glide slope with motor off. Power on flights may need further trim adjustments if you motor angle is wrong. This is my way and may not be the way do it.

Tic chime in here. Were are you buddy. You can explain this.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,429 Posts
My good ole Zagi was used two Fridays ago as my 1st fright aircraft for my new DX18 -- 1st time it's flow in more than 3 years!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:18 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,720 Posts
I prefer the over-the-head tosses with my flying wings and that works well for me. I wonder how Tic tosses his Zagi boxers?
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:13 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Thanks AZ for the info, I feel much more confident on launching after reading your blog. Cheers.
Thanks Mark for video links, I think I know now what Tic was refering to regarding noise. That Demon sure is a beauty. Ha Ha.