HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I've already forgotten what I've read. Seperate channel for remote rudder gain on the Eagletree?
The A3 only has dials so you can't turn it on/off in the air.
No ,seperate on the unit (Pots) and overall gain by transmitter.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:34 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,519 Posts
What about vibration tolerance, no problems?
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:29 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
What about vibration tolerance, no problems?
I've been flying the Guardian on an GP Ultima 40 with a OS 46AX, and an un balanced prop (bad landings on asphalt) and there have been no issues.

I built this kit 10 yrs ago and trusted the ET guardian enough to use it.

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tychoc View Post
There is a cable that plugs into the data port for this. When, or if this connection to the osd pro will be supported when released I don't know.

-tychoc
Thanks for that, very interesting indeed.

I hope bills can provide some clarification on that....
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:48 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
...and the release date is....?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:26 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
No ,seperate on the unit (Pots) and overall gain by transmitter.
Also several menu items give you contol on rudder and heading related gains
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:08 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Question...

Someone wrote on another thread that this Guardian is aileron-only control in 2D mode and rudder and elevator do nothing... Is this true...? I am having a hard time believing it would be as that just makes no sense... Is there an auto correct feature in it where if you are flying in 3D mode and you switch to 2D mode she will immediately flip herself over to fully and automatically stabilize itself as the FY30A does...? I'm just out the door so haven't the time to go to Eagle Trees site to verify this which I will try to do later... If it is true this would be a major difference between the Guardian and the FY30A and deffinitely explain the $50 difference in price... In 2D (Full Auto Stabilization mode) the FY30A controls the planes 3 dimensional movement per it's 3 axis gyros, as well as it's 3 axis accelometer, and controls ailerons, rudder and elevator, but the Tx sticks still take precedence over the stabilizer... That thread had to be wrong but who knows...

bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
...and the release date is....?
Good luck on getting that answered i seen you ask it few times. I have no clue maybe the owner of the product will come and post and let everyone know.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:58 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Quote:
Someone wrote on another thread that this Guardian is aileron-only control in 2D mode and rudder and elevator do nothing...
NET stands for Not Everything is True.

My first flight report

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106

Pehps watch the video by s_100
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=88

Perhaps reading post #1 would serve as a good good overall statement of capabilities.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 17, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:59 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnick2k8 View Post
Question...

Someone wrote on another thread that this Guardian is aileron-only control in 2D mode and rudder and elevator do nothing... Is this true...? I am having a hard time believing it would be as that just makes no sense... Is there an auto correct feature in it where if you are flying in 3D mode and you switch to 2D mode she will immediately flip herself over to fully and automatically stabilize itself as the FY30A does...? I'm just out the door so haven't the time to go to Eagle Trees site to verify this which I will try to do later... If it is true this would be a major difference between the Guardian and the FY30A and deffinitely explain the $50 difference in price... In 2D (Full Auto Stabilization mode) the FY30A controls the planes 3 dimensional movement per it's 3 axis gyros, as well as it's 3 axis accelometer, and controls ailerons, rudder and elevator, but the Tx sticks still take precedence over the stabilizer... That thread had to be wrong but who knows...

bnick
- Why don't you provide us with the link. Do you think the hands free 2d launch of the Stryker in the video would be possible with aileron only?
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
I flew one of my Mini Gremlins 45 times without the Guardian and 15 times with it.
It has a nasty left turn/roll on launch and the Guardian in both 2D and 3D modes made it completely effortless to launch. All I had to do was provide a touch of up elevator qfter release and watch it fly straight ahead.

Hands off inverted level flight in 3D mode,flip switch to 2D and instant upright level flight.

Only real issue with Guardian I am aware of is that Eagle Tree does not have a few thousand ready to ship.

Charles
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:23 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I flew one of my Mini Gremlins 45 times without the Guardian and 15 times with it.
It has a nasty left turn/roll on launch and the Guardian in both 2D and 3D modes made it completely effortless to launch. All I had to do was provide a touch of up elevator qfter release and watch it fly straight ahead.

Hands off inverted level flight in 3D mode,flip switch to 2D and instant upright level flight.

Only real issue with Guardian I am aware of is that Eagle Tree does not have a few thousand ready to ship.

Charles
I've started trimming up for launch, that makes it truely effortless, then I just trim it down in flight. It's all pretty easy since it is flying its self...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Charles...

I've read the whole thread and I watched the video and reviewed the links you recommended but nothing has stated what actually happens in 2D Mode with the guardian...

How many control surfaces are controlled in 2D Mode...?

Thanks,
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:53 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Three as in all of the primary flight control surfaces.

Snip from first post of thread

Quote:
In 2D flight mode, the Guardian provides much smoother flight and wing leveling stabilization for your model, which makes it a lot easier to adjust and fly your plane. The Guardian "remembers" level flight for your model and returns it to level flight when needed, as well as providing precise "fly by wire" control. You may think that your model is on rails! The Guardian is also great for FPV flying.

If you are a beginner pilot, the Guardian can help take the fear factor out of the first few flights. If you get into trouble, just let the sticks go and the Guardian will attempt to quickly bring your model back to level flight.

If you are flying a plane that is not very stable due to imbalance, poor aerodynamics or high motor torque, the Guardian can make things much easier.

Is it moderately gusty or windy? The Guardian helps compensate for non-ideal flying conditions. The Guardian helps your plane fly like it's a perfectly calm day!
In simple terms 2D is hands off striaght level flight. It will turn the average sports plane into a great basic trainer that is much easier to take off.fly and land in the wind especially a cross wind on landing.

Going back to this

Quote:
Someone wrote on another thread that this Guardian is aileron-only control in 2D mode and rudder and elevator do nothing...
If the Guardian did not control elevator and rudder in addation to ailerons how could it provide ahnds off striaght level flight in 2D mode?
Hopefully the Manual will be posted soon and most every question will be answered. It is an extremely versital / programable device unlike the $46 device mentioned in an earlier post which does not even have Aux. for duel alerions, no 2D mode, no off no in flight gain.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Mar 2009
216 Posts
Yes, I'm sure we'll have a lot of our questions answered when the manual is available.

One of the things I'm interesting in learning about is the "3-D Gyro submode" as mentioned in the original post:

"In 3D Flight Mode, Gyro submode, the Guardian uses its built-in 3 axis gyro to increase your modelís stability, while leaving you in full control. In this mode the Guardian greatly reduces the effects of gusts, turbulence, motor torque and other factors, and can expand the maneuverability of your model in a variety of conditions."

From what I get from the above quote this sounds more like what we've been calling RATE. And 2D flight Mode sounds more like what the FMA device does.

For someone who has flown the Guardian already, I have a couple of questions:

1. When flying in 2D Flight Mode:

A . Do you have to hold an aileron input in order to maintain a turn ? In other words, if the airplane straightens out as soon as you center the stick, how do you maintain a turn ?

B. If you move the aileron stick over about 1/4 displacement, does the airplane do a slow roll or just assume a steady bank ?

C. If you pull the elevator stick 1/4 of the way back, does the airplane do a loop or does it just assume a steep climb ?

2. When flying in 3D Flight Mode Gyro submode, I have the same questions:

A . Do you have to hold an aileron input in order to maintain a turn ? In other words, if the airplane straightens out as soon as you center the stick, how do you maintain a turn ?

B. If you move the aileron stick over about 1/4 displacement, does the airplane do a slow roll or just assume a steady bank ?

C. If you pull the elevator stick 1/4 of the way back, does the airplane do a loop or does it just assume a steep climb ?

Thanks for your answers in advance,

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman