HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
726 Posts
Discussion
Engines for hovering and engines for stabilization

Thatīs a simple question for Hover Fly Team. Have noticed in a Octo powered with a HF Pro and a Quad powered by a DJI that half the engines run cooler that the other half. Tried to give an angle offset to counteract the tork and help the hottest ones to run at lower speed but seems not to be very helpfull. A friend told me some board manufaturers assign the main power task to lift the UFO to half the engines while the other half are more focused to provide stability. Is that the case in HF pro board? or in case itīs not I must try to find another source of the temperature difference?
Thanks
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Maybe the CCW or CW direction motors need to compensate for something? Thats exactly the half
ed.ge is offline Find More Posts by ed.ge
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:25 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
I have had my HFP as a Hexa, quad, Y6 and a X8. All of them have had the motors run at the same temperature. I did have one motor running hotter on one machine but that turned out to be my motor mount wasn't perfectly level.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
726 Posts
If all your machines run the same temperature on all the engines then the problem is mine. Just a thought.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:44 PM
Sokratis
Ελλάς, Κρήτη, Ηράκλειο
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elossam View Post
Thatīs a simple question for Hover Fly Team. Have noticed in a Octo powered with a HF Pro and a Quad powered by a DJI that half the engines run cooler that the other half. Tried to give an angle offset to counteract the tork and help the hottest ones to run at lower speed but seems not to be very helpfull. A friend told me some board manufaturers assign the main power task to lift the UFO to half the engines while the other half are more focused to provide stability. Is that the case in HF pro board? or in case itīs not I must try to find another source of the temperature difference?
Thanks
I have a octo and same for me..motor with left run direction are cooler that the right ...motor are from rctimer 2830-11 1000KV
canopus1970 is offline Find More Posts by canopus1970
Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2006
726 Posts
In my case they are all Axi ones. The fact of two different machines, configurations and boards without any apreciable changes with the mechanical offset made me consideer the suggested option.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:25 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Sounds like some of your motors are running faster to keep your craft from yawing. We are working on a metric for this which will help our users to zero out the difference between the 2 motors.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined Feb 2006
726 Posts
For sure it will help. In the quad I was finally able to reverse the yaw drift but several test reveal it's quite dificult to set it right and it will require some trial and error test more to find the right angle.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:10 PM
Sokratis
Ελλάς, Κρήτη, Ηράκλειο
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
Sounds like some of your motors are running faster to keep your craft from yawing. We are working on a metric for this which will help our users to zero out the difference between the 2 motors.
George sounds reasonable .. if I put larger prop on these motors that are warmer would we change anything;
canopus1970 is offline Find More Posts by canopus1970