HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by The Don, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 10:47 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,062 Posts
I appreciate the comments I just bought a 80mm F86 and will have the 80mm Mirage on order as well when available. What I expect to happen is HobbyKing to jump on board. They sell items cheaper than I can buy direct from the manufacturer in China. The RC Lander fans are a good example. My dealer price from Lander was a few dollars higher than HKs selling price! For me to develop a new larger motor for 80mm is a lot of capital investment. I have to buy 500 or 1000 machined standoffs, 1000 custom shafts at a time then 100 piece min motor prototype runs on motors. It adds up quickly! HK will probably just buy an existing setup from one of the 80mm companies slap a Dr.Madthrust label on it and undercut everyone making a $1 profit margin.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but that is the truth and how it is these days. As much as I do enjoy setting up combos for people and selling them, it has been 7 plus years now and I do not have the energy to start in a whole new realm of bigger EDFs especially when any work done will be undercut overseas. It is great for the end user but middle guys like me are getting squeezed out. It is bittersweet for me. On one hand I am enjoying the extra free time and getting back to flying my models these past few months instead of hours of email replies and working 7 days a week in the evening mounting and balancing combos but on the other hand I am sad to see my business of 7 years drop way.

I did get an order of Wicked 4000 motors on order and my current plan is to just keep selling what I can for now and as inventory gets low on parts decide where I want to go from there. 70mm fans are slow to sell. People do not want to buy Wemotec due to price. They will buy XRP 70mm but not with a quality HET motor when a motor half that price can be bought at Hobbyking. So we shall see what happens. I started selling motors because I was upset how poorly my EDF models flew and took matters into my own hands to make EDFs fun. If these 80mm models make me feel the same way who knows, but it seems that new 80mm Mirage will scoot pretty good based on the video so my guess is they will figure it out and maybe even offer a high speed and standard speed version like FMS does with the Strega and Critical Mass models. And if that happens then there is nothing for me to sell and upgrade for.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2014, 10:59 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,405 Posts
I can definitely see what you mean. It's rough now adays for smaller RC business when companies like Hobbyking is around. Like you said though, the good thing is that you get to enjoy some more free time to do other things now. After 7 years, you would definitely grow an attachment to a business that so many people benefited from and enjoyed. I enjoy when a company provides good service with a great product that is reliable and reasonably priced, and that doesn't occur that often these days. So, you've made one heck of a mark on this hobby, and I look forward to seeing where you go with it in the future. Regardless of what you decide, good luck.

The new Mirage definitelyyyyy scoots along nicely in stock configuration. I've seen it fly in person and was pleasantly suprised because I'm normally unbelievably disappointed in stock PNP jets. Freewing has been doing great things and making leaps in quality and engineering with each new product release. Did you see the new Freewing 80mm F5 Tiger II EDF that got released? It looks fantastic too. Taft Freewing also has an 80mm Super Scorpion coming out soon as well.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:38 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Don,
I also wanted to say thanks for the service and products! I've bought a few fans, motors and ESCs from you and they were always top notch.

Your fast service was always nice too!

Thanks for what you've done!

Ben
ben gaston is online now Find More Posts by ben gaston
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:53 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,108 Posts
whoa guys ..... don's not dead and gone. lets not bury him yet
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:44 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,062 Posts
Hey guys I am going to be placing an order with Changesun/XRP. Anyone need anything specific? They now have a 2600 KV motor for the 12 blade 64mm fan. I coudl get a few more 11 blade 50mm if people need some.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:13 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
739 Posts
XRP 14 blade? If you don't want to stock em, maybe special order? I think 2W-27 or 2W-25 will work base on thread I was reading..
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:51 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joes View Post
XRP 14 blade? If you don't want to stock em, maybe special order? I think 2W-27 or 2W-25 will work base on thread I was reading..
do u think there is a advantage w/ the 14b over the 12 or 10?? just asking because it seemed the consensus was not so much? never used 1, but lots of 10 and 12b.

chuck.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:55 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,108 Posts
don , if its not to late .............. can u get the xrp shaft adapters? at least i think they are xrp........ they are the ones shown w/ the fan u sell , they have the hole through the end for holding the adapter while tightening. imo they should all be made this way.

thanks chuck
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:42 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,062 Posts
Here is what I ordered.
V3 70mm 10 blade fan units
V3 70mm 10 blade units with 2500 KV motor preinstalled
spare rotor shaft adapters for V3 70mm fans
metal spinner for V3 fans
64mm 12 blade with motor preinstalled
64mm 12 fan units
11 blade 50mm 3S
11 blade 50 mm 4S

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:43 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,062 Posts
I think of the 14,12 and 10 blade the 10 is better that is why I am only getting the 10 blade.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:07 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think of the 14,12 and 10 blade the 10 is better that is why I am only getting the 10 blade.
agreed w/ regards to efficiency , imo , the 10 is best and all sound good .

thanks for ordering the adapters.

chuck
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:40 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,062 Posts
Also good news just got an email from Wemotec and some microfans are on the way to me :-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:56 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,405 Posts
Sweet! Keep selling the micros for sure .
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:15 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Also good news just got an email from Wemotec and some microfans are on the way to me :-)
yes...good to hear !
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:23 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,062 Posts
Well forget the Changesun XRP products they want paypal payment by personal payment only so I am not sending that much money as a personal paypal payment with no protection. So I just cancelled the order with them. Sorry guys.
RCG Plus Member