SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:13 PM
Director of Esoteric Projects
Joined May 2012
111 Posts
I always use Scotch Extreme Packing Tape for hinges on scratch built foamies. Small pieces adhered to both sides make great hinges. It sticks very well and the bidirectional filaments make it indestructible.
clough42 is offline Find More Posts by clough42
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:19 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Has anyone any favored set ups dx6i/radian pro?

I'm used to seeing a lot of programming or set up on the quads but the gliders seem absent of this for the most part. Anyone have any particular setups they customized and like?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Petepala1961 is online now Find More Posts by Petepala1961
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:21 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,258 Posts
I'm not sure that the DX6i is quite up to the demands of a full house sailplane.

Only 2 mixes and two position switches aren't really enough for a four servo wing...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:39 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,168 Posts
I have it on a DX9 now. With the DX6i, I had it set for fixed deflection crow braking and, IIRC, variable flaps but that was it. In fairness, this was still enough to have fun but be able to enjoy it.

I've got the full set up now but haven't flown it since setting it up
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:17 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepala1961 View Post
I'm used to seeing a lot of programming or set up on the quads but the gliders seem absent of this for the most part. Anyone have any particular setups they customized and like?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
The DX6i won't allow you to have all the full house functions available at any given moment. However, it will let you experiment with them one at a time. In addition to basic flaps, you can pick any one of the following...

3 position flaps
full span camber
full span reflex
crow

Here is my setup using the stick for throttle. If you wanted to put the throttle on a switch, other options would probably present themselves.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:51 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
So okay say I've got the pro in the air with the dx6i... I'm flying around with ailerons, rudder and elevator. Then I want a controlled descent at high angle and want to employ flaps. Does this mean I need to shutdown ailerons?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:38 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,982 Posts
Having ailerons, rudder, elevator, throttle, and flaps is the most basic setup on this plane, and can even be accomplished with a non-computer radio such as a DX5e. You don't need to give up ailerons to have flaps. The settings I was referring to in my previous post are in addition to these basic five functions.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 13, 2014, 04:00 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Flaps versus Crow...

I've only known flaps as something applied at take off and more so at landing. Still I hear some folks apply full flaps to come out of a thermal - I'm assuming in conjunction with full rudder and up elevator.

Entering Crow into the equation: here this configuration would seem to trump the above by breaking the cruising speed and spoiling lift.

That said then, with a crow capable craft - would you still go to full flaps, rudder and elevator to emergency descend or just dive with crow engaged?

I'm well versed in the former however Crow is new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:11 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,258 Posts
I wouldn't dive with full rudder and elevator...

Full Crow and you can pretty much point this at the floor without picking up too much speed
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Today, 05:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,734 Posts
Pete,

Typically, the flaps are already extended far enough to act as an airbrake (well-beyond the point at which they primarily enhance lift) when you use crow. Mine drop nearly straight down (~80 degrees) when I select crow - which makes them act as a true airbrake instead of flaps. As SP noted - crow is great for losing altitude very quickly without over-speeding the airframe. It's also great when you're on a short, steep final & need to land as short as possible.

Here's an example of how short you can land after a relatively steep approach, using crow. The rain started to come down pretty good just as I was about to make the turn & do another circuit. I was too close to the runway for a standard approach, but I wanted to get her down without having to make another circuit. So I went to full crow at the 6:00 mark, dropped the nose, and brought her in right at my feet.

Radian Pro - short flight (6 min 19 sec)

In this on-board clip, I was flying at a spot where the only option is to make a downwind approach & land in the opposite direction from which you launch. It's the only spot within a couple hundred miles of my hometown where you can catch enough ridge-lift for anything larger than a small backyard glider. Over the decades, I had often thought about flying something from that hill that could handle a bit of wind & turbulence while carrying a camera - however, that wasn't feasible with the stuff I used to fly before I decided to get into sailplanes & picked up the RP. I was up there visiting family & friends, and had brought the RP along just to try it. After sizing-up the spot & thinking about it for awhile, I decided to give it a go. It was my first time surfing ridge-lift, and I had to land with a 13 MPH tailwind. That would have been challenging enough on its own. But then I noticed that people had shown up since the last time the plane had been in a spot where I was looking in that direction. Of course, I wasn't aware of them until well-after the plane had crossed over the fence, and I was already committed to the landing. I was coming in with flaps alone because the tailwind made it difficult to judge the plane's airspeed & I didn't want to stall it on final. I went to full crow & forced it down as soon as I saw the people. Without crow, the plane would have just sailed right by & crashed into the picnic table. I decided to not fly there again. One could argue that flying a 2m ship from there was poor judgement on my part in the first place - and I would agree. However, flying the UMX Radian from there would be just fine. Next time I'm up there, I plan to surf the ridge with it. Final approach starts @ 7:20:

Radian Pro - on-board video from Bemis Hill campground in northern Minnesota (7 min 47 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Today at 05:26 PM.
Old Today, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Hi guys,

I want to say thanks for the generous advice. Joel I enjoyed your vids - lol - and the final approach pedestrians!

Based on what I've read and linked to above I think with my Dx6i I will opt for three position flaps. I used to work at an airport where Hawker 800s would come and go. Indeed they "dumped the flaps" full upon landing way beyond any lift capacity but serious drag of course. This is the capability I woukd like on my Radian Pro - that full flap dump!

I will get into the other when I get a bigger radio.

Any advice then on adding only three position flaps instead of crow, reflex etched?

And my gratitude.

Pete