Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 08, 2014, 03:46 AM
Find More Posts by britinoz
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
Build Log
Arrow Autogyro

Many months ago I saw a very nice Arrow ARF become available and thought that would be one nice machine to have.
A couple of things against an ARF is that firstly it was out of my price range and I want to build as much of my models as I can....that's what I do ..build. I know that its sometimes a bit on the rough side...but I do enjoy the construction side of this hobby.
I contacted Joe Anderson up in Scotland and asked him if he could find me a three view that would be suitable...because he seems to have a knack of finding all the good info (I don't think he sleeps to good) and he came up with the goods and I do believe that it is his favourite autogyro at the moment ...just look at his avatar !
I wont include all the pics that I took as I am sure it would be boring but just enough to let you all see the path that I took.
Unlike assembling an ARF...one has to do a bit of thinking....and then modifying because the first thoughts were wrong. etc, etc.
I wanted to make a pretty good representation of the model without getting into a lot of scale details because as we all know it does not take much to turn these models into a lot of little bits ...real fast. And I have to be honest ,I am getting to an age where sometimes I am spending more time on the floor picking up nuts and bolts that I am on the bench trying to assemble them.
So....I started with a laminated balsa crutch with .4 mm ply layers for strength. This is a very strong assembly but later proved a lot of work at the sanding stage as the balsa sanded away leaving the ply proud. All the components are mounted to this crutch.
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2014, 04:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
My intention was to make the fuz from blue foam with a glass skin.....but I thought I 'd try carving some dense white foam to get a feel of how it would look...and I was pretty pleased with the finish and could not bring myself to start from fresh with the blue stuff.(life's to short)
After getting a reasonable finish to the foam...I then had to separate the canopy section with a hot wire...that went wrong.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 04:17 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
The foam was given a coat of 4 oz Burlington cloth and then one of 2 oz applied with a slow drying epoxy. and allowed several days to cure in a warm position. And then it was time for sanding and spot patching all the holes that appear only after a coat of primer paint is applied. This took about a month .......true !
I then removed some of the internal foam , but still leaving a decent thickness because there is not going to be any additional frame added.
After removing enough foam for the internals I then made an additional glass inner crutch that would support the foam.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
479 Posts
Very clever Chris, watching this with great interest
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Oct 08, 2014, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
1,256 Posts
Great build Chris. yes my favorite Autogyro
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Oct 08, 2014, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by rotadrill
Joined May 2014
50 Posts
I'm subscribed Will you be making a plug for moulds or will that be your final canopy?
rotadrill is offline Find More Posts by rotadrill
Old Oct 08, 2014, 04:39 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
O.D. Arrow Autogyro Test Flight. (2 min 58 sec)

This is a flight that I made several months ago of the basic airframe just to see if I had the thrust line and all the angles working OK.
Morne...a mould could be taken from this plug....but it was not intended ...This was just intended as a one off.
Last edited by britinoz; Oct 08, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 06:46 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
The first stab and tipletts were made from depron but during testing they took a bit of a bashing...so I reverted to balsa. The main U/C legs are made from 1/8"K & S and a simply captive fit that allows them to be removed easerly should the glass fuz need removing . The head assembly is an enlarged copy of the HKing blue unit, made from ply and hardwood and also using the plate unit from Aero Balsa. I don't know if this is still available as a spare part...but it is a very well thought out unit.
Last edited by britinoz; Oct 08, 2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
The motor cowl unit was a real pain/pleasure. I started with a couple of layers of a heavy carbon draped over the foam and cardboard with some non stick plastic so as not to stick to any vital parts ,followed by a lot of sanding and then balsa added, more sanding and then finished with a couple of layers of .5 oz glass cloth This took about a weeks solid attention...now I know that may be hard to believe...but true...how can a small part take so long to make ??
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:26 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
A few more pics of the construction
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:38 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
And then there was the paint job . I was happy and lucky the film covering for the fin pretty well matched the Spray can paint that I used on the fuz.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:46 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
After waiting several weeks for what I considered good testing conditions. T' was off to the field. And I 'm sure you know what its like to maiden a new model with all the other flyers watching..................not good.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,104 Posts
Arrow Test Flight (4 min 14 sec)

Well here is the second flight of the model . The first trimming flight was the usual handful than one would expect and I have now made a few changes to the head connections as I found it a little unstable in that area. Some may think that the hand launch was unsuitable ..but it flew quite easy out of the hand...and I know you will all like my gracefull landing. I could have cut that out but its what happens sometimes when you fly these models.
I was originally going to post this build as it took place ....but....unfortunately over the years we have seen some very interesting builds that have gone very quiet at the point of getting into the air...and I did not want to be in that group.
I hope you like this build and I hope to get some more video soon.
Eat your hart out Joe.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Last edited by britinoz; Oct 09, 2014 at 03:17 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2014, 03:47 AM
Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
479 Posts
Congratulations Chris, that's a fine model, thanks for sharing some ingenious building.

Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Oct 09, 2014, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Joined Feb 2012
888 Posts
Cracking project Chris brilliant job

Regards

Tom.
Tom Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tom Wright