HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:09 AM
Crash frequency declining
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jul 2003
243 Posts
Discussion
Can you use a spare ESC as BEC?

It seems I need a seperate BEC for my REX.
Would it be possible to put a spare ESC (in a spare channel) in parallel and let both provide power to the servos through the reciever?
KasperE is offline Find More Posts by KasperE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:29 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Probably, but it isn't the most efficient idea, because you're powering up the second ESC as well, not to mention that an ESC weighs a whole lot more than a BEC.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:17 AM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
Cheaper, lighter (probably) and more effective to use a separate switching BEC.

linear BECs are trouble IMO... they have non-stable outputs. Get an ESC with an SBEC or use a ParkBec or other Ubec. ESCs with SBEC include the Kontronik Jazz (pricey but I love 'em) - but I bought an eMax 40A ESC on impulse, as it was cheap, and was surprised to see that it has an SBEC. I've not tried it yet.. intended for a fast foamie - but I may try it in my 3S Trex.
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:40 AM
Crash frequency declining
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jul 2003
243 Posts
Good points. I ordered the Parkbec 6V, but it will be 10 days before the thing arrives and I really NEED to fly I just use the inefficient second ESC in the meantime - although I was contemplating making it a permanent solution.
KasperE is offline Find More Posts by KasperE
Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:22 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
Yes, u can use another ESC to "share" the current. I did that before for my 2 TRex running 4S1P.

But like the rest, it is better to use external BEC of switch mode instead.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:38 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
188 Posts
You should not use any sbec and esc or esc and esc where both are connected to the receivers power and ground unless they are first connected to each other using a buss tie circuit.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854050
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch