SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2014, 01:42 PM
winnie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
Best flight controller board

Hi pilots
i am very new to this hobby of multicopter . I saw one flying near my place and decided to make one i did all my research and narrowed down to "h"copter design i am using hk kk2.1 i am just not happy with the board as for amateur like me there lot to understand like pi gain, scaling etc. But trimming the board is an issue to . Can u pilots and engineers here recommend me a board best suited for my level of experience and also which i can upgrade later on .
Regards
winnie12 is offline Find More Posts by winnie12
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2014, 02:38 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
3,264 Posts
Do you have any actual experience flying a quadcopter?
jbrumberg is online now Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
Old Oct 31, 2014, 05:02 PM
winnie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
not at all
Old Oct 31, 2014, 05:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Warrington
Joined Jul 2013
628 Posts
The hk kk2.1 IS aimed at beginners,

there is a wealth of info out there about all this stuff, best thing to do is stick with the KK board,.
Read some more, the PI part is something you can deal with later, stick with the default values for now.

Do you have any equipment, solderin iron, battery charger, Tx/Rx how many channels. etc.

There is a lot to learn..
cosmic2112 is online now Find More Posts by cosmic2112
Old Oct 31, 2014, 06:51 PM
winnie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
I have everything tx rx lipo motor esc and also 5.2ghz fpv tx rx. its just the flying part I find my H copter hard to control. I was reading online about ardupilot2.6 with gps for beginner . any advice on that.
regards

ps- tx turnigy9x
Old Oct 31, 2014, 07:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Warrington
Joined Jul 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie12 View Post
I have everything tx rx lipo motor esc and also 5.2ghz fpv tx rx. its just the flying part I find my H copter hard to control. I was reading online about ardupilot2.6 with gps for beginner . any advice on that.
regards

ps- tx turnigy9x
you say "its just the flying part" LoL... Okay, sorry.

The KK has a "Self level" mode which helps, you can assign it to a switch on the (Ch5) aux channel I think.

The APM I have never tried, but is still complicated, I think, for what you need.

An alternative is the Naza M Lite, it maybe good for you, plenty of information and tutorials to look at.
cosmic2112 is online now Find More Posts by cosmic2112
Old Oct 31, 2014, 07:20 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
3,264 Posts
In reality the best thing from both a learning and cost saving perspective is to buy a RTF quad as a "trainer"and learn to fly and crash and learn basic eye-hand/finger stick coordination with the transmitter, and learn how to hover and direct that multi-rotor in basic flight maneuvers, and once when learns all that stuff which requires some degree of practice and training one moves farther out in distance and learns orientation skills which requires a lot more practice and training and more practice and training. And all along this process one must research everything RC.... everything. There is no easy way to be a pilot in this hobby. If one wants to be a responsible pilot.

One can program a FC all they want, even a really fancy and expensive one, and look really good until something goes wrong with the FC for a variety of reasons and it all comes down to the "pilot". Sometimes the aircraft can be saved and sometimes not. Sometimes the "pilot" can save it and sometimes even a real pilot can not. It may come down to what that owner/operator really knows as to how to really fly that aircraft.

I agree with cosmic- the KK boards are the AK47's of the FC world. They seem to be the easiest to set up if one understands the basics of quadcopter dynamics. They can get one airborne quickly and are vibration and crash resistant (I know this), easy to initially program; but they require some degree of awareness of how to fly one of these contraptions. To set them up to fly well requires some degree of piloting skills and awareness of how these quadcopters actually operate.

I post a lot to noob's who have a lot of high expectations. overly high self assessments of their own abilities and try to ground them to the realities of this very gratifying and growth orienting hobby. This is a post that I copied from another earlier today:

"If you have no flight experience flying RC multi-rotor aircraft beyond an indoor coaxial helicopter you are setting yourself up for a long and expensive learning curve. These flying erector sets are not as easy to fly as those videos make them appear. It would be to your advantage from a financial and learning perspective to first purchase a small "toy" grade quadcopter as a trainer so you can learn the basic eye-hand motor coordination and orientation skills necessary to successfully pilot any RC multi-rotor aircraft once you learn the basics.

Everyone crashes a lot in the beginning and those smaller RTF quads are much more user friendly and robust than any build, and they are really fun to fly. I am still flying my "toys" as I continue to practice my piloting skills. They are easier and cheaper to replace, repair, and rebuild.

You may find a build thread or site that can offer a frame and component "mix" that is known to work as an alternative to doing the build on your own. These build sites/threads are valuable resources for alternative components and build technique suggestions.

I do not mean to be mean. I just want you to be successful in whaaaat could prove to be a successful and meaningful hobby."

Whatever flightpath you choose- Good luck

FYI- I was flying my "toys" today and not my build for a variety of reasons and I had a great time. I was practicing.

This hobby is supposed to be fun. It is expensive enough. I am just trying to help people fly as cheaply and "funly" as possible.
jbrumberg is online now Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
Old Nov 01, 2014, 02:52 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Everyone crashes a lot in the beginning and those smaller RTF quads are much more user friendly and robust than any build, and they are really fun to fly. I am still flying my "toys" as I continue to practice my piloting skills. They are easier and cheaper to replace, repair, and rebuild.
qewmohtesd is offline Find More Posts by qewmohtesd
Old Nov 01, 2014, 12:32 PM
winnie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Thanks

Hi Pilots
my thanks to you all for the reply and guidance but I really want to make a large 450 scale H copter which i can fly as fpv and also as gift it to my nephew for his b'day as he fly's heli 250 scale .
was thinking about buying ardupliot 2.6 with gps as it has auto tune, RTH and ALT hold function but I have not idea ardupilot system ur advice will be much appreciated .
regards
Old Nov 02, 2014, 06:43 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie12 View Post
Hi Pilots
my thanks to you all for the reply and guidance but I really want to make a large 450 scale H copter which i can fly as fpv and also as gift it to my nephew for his b'day as he fly's heli 250 scale .
was thinking about buying ardupliot 2.6 with gps as it has auto tune, RTH and ALT hold function but I have not idea ardupilot system ur advice will be much appreciated .
regards
If you have never flew nor built a quad before you should try and get as much knowledge as you can, also it would be a good idea to follow a tutorial such as this to help you and make sure you don't screw anything up.
draognzboy is offline Find More Posts by draognzboy
Old Nov 02, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Apr 2013
241 Posts
You can spend a lot of time trying to figure out the fancy boards and never leave your computer desk or be flying the KK2.

I got a MultiWii on my desk with a receiver hooked to it, trying to hook a GPS up next. It has never been bolted to a frame let alone flown. It took a little banging and swearing just to get it hooked up to the MultiWiiConf software. Note that I am comfortable around the Arduino platform and work in IT for a living. That said, I fly quads to relieve the stress of working in IT, not extend the time spent sitting at a computer spitting and cussing.

Watch a could of Youtube vids on tuning the KK2, skip the string test stuff and enjoy learning to fly.
jeffjblack is offline Find More Posts by jeffjblack
Old Nov 04, 2014, 01:38 AM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Apr 2014
327 Posts
i think the ardupilot program/system is the best, but it is the most complicated...

you can get every bit of information out of that board and then use that info to adjust / program new stuff.

or you can follow some simple steps and be flying ...

the key is that you want to know as much as you can about whatever system you have so you can predict or troubleshoot things when they go wrong.. if you ahve an apm board and all kinds of sensors and then quad flies away or crashes you wont have a clue, as you dont understand some things like PIDs or other things.

if you get a KK board, / model, then it wont 'fly away as it doesnt have a gps...

you can get it flying pretty easy, and you can dig a little, read that as learn a little bit, and learn how to 'adjust' it so it flies even 'better'... read that as better for you...

if you want it more responsive, you can tune it down if you want it to flip you can tune it up.

and then after you get 'bored' or if you want you can take the kk board out and replace it with a naza, or a multiwii, or an apm, or a cc3d, or anything you want..

the thing is, what do you want to do...

fly around a park, or get into a hobby that compels, I mean, satisfies a desire to learn...
bergovoy is offline Find More Posts by bergovoy
Old Nov 05, 2014, 09:59 AM
winnie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
thanks to all for guidance and support.
here is link for cheapest apm2.6 with gps http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Side-...823417983.html
I am not marketing for this guy. As its a expensive hobby we all look for cheap deals rite. cheers
Old Nov 05, 2014, 06:39 PM
United States, NJ, Edgewater Park
Joined Dec 2013
720 Posts
Out of all the Flight Controllers I have used,the KK2 was the easiest to set up. It looks like you have made up your mind to purchase the APM2.6. Good luck with it,if you think the KK2 is hard to understand,wait till you try the APM2.6. I have the APM2.5 and it's a nice flight controller,but since it was my third flight controller, it took a lot of trial and error to get it right. My advice is to do a lot of research and watch video tutorials on how to set it up.
RC_Flying is offline Find More Posts by RC_Flying
Old Nov 05, 2014, 06:59 PM
Joined Apr 2014
147 Posts
I really wish I could see some of these folks as they get all the stuff and work to put it together.

The apm is old, as in 8 bit. If you are wanting to go that route, go pix/fix/Xix-hawk as it is a 32bit deal.

I have to reiterate what others have said: do your research.
There are SO MANY choices in this cool-as-all-get-out hobby that your questions becomes annoying to many. (Not me...)

And, just to answer your question: there is NO best flight controller in the 'cheap' section. They are all adequate to the task. Most all will take gps and do the rth stuff. Do you know how many fcs there are out there? I don't; I am seeing new ones daily here. Mind you, they may not be new but to me, they are.

I'm about 6 months into this hobby with 30 plus builds of scratch models. I know very little when compared to the wealth of knowledge available. Again, I say: do your research.
UnCommonGrafx is online now Find More Posts by UnCommonGrafx