SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:33 PM
United States, AK, Kenai
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
Help!
Laser Kit Cutters for my 1/4 Nosen Champ

Hello, I have myself plans for a Bud Nosen 1/4 scale champ. I dont have the skills or time to cut all the pieces and looking for the precision of a laser cutter. Any help would be great!
Jalaska907 is offline Find More Posts by Jalaska907
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
391 Posts
The plans for Nosen designs were all sold with their accompanying kits. I don't think that Nosen ever envisioned his plans being sold by themselves.
Because of that, they could be a little confusing for a builder without the kit.

On the other hand, the Champ doesn't really have that many "parts" compared to a lot of other kits.
Nosen extensively used stick construction on all surfaces and added most of the parts that are shown as reinforcements.

I really don't think you need to have a kit cut for this design. If you have the step by step instructions that came with the kit/plans, just follow them in order and you should be able to figure things out on your own. I can't promise you for sure, but my memory from building Nosen kits does seem to think that any of the important shapes are shown on the plans... somewhere.

For those things you just can't seem to understand, come back here to RCG and ask your questions. There are a bunch of people who have built Nosen kits over the years and I think you will get all the help you need.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:07 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,825 Posts
Yes, you can find someone to cut them.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will take a bit of doing to convert the paper plans to cut ready files. Those who are willing to do the job are not cheap. The last big job I did was over $500 just for the conversion. I don't do the CAD work anymore, just takes too much of my time.

If you can get the files converted there are several cutters who will make the parts for you.

charlie
manzano laser works

PS you might see if someone already offers the parts, like Bob Holman. If no one does then try contacting Mike Hall at Aerolock models. He might have the time to do the CAD work.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:32 AM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Greetings! I am James carter and I live in Titusville Florida. sir, I just wanted to offer my services to you. I love to scratch build and as a result I hand cut all the parts for each of the models I build whether for myself or for others as I do not have a laser. When I cut parts or build for myself, all the parts are fitted and sanded suitably for the build and thankfully, to date, I've not had one person complain about my work although I am very picky about the projects I take on and who I'm working with.

Your choice of the Nosen Champ is an excellent choice as I built one back in the late 80's when I was stationed in Minot ND. It was powered with an OS 120 twin and it flew so well and it is one that I was planning to build again in 2015 thus, God Willing, I will begin laying out the templates and cutting the wood towards the end of October.

I've attached a few pictures of the projects I took pictures of in the past. If you would like, I have no problem cutting a set of parts for you. Let me know if this would be something you're interested in and we can discuss the details. Take care.
propaplace is online now Find More Posts by propaplace
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:28 PM
United States, AK, Kenai
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
propaplace, I would be very interested in have a kit cut for me. Let me know when you are ready to start. Thanks everyone for the help and answers
Jalaska907 is offline Find More Posts by Jalaska907
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalaska907 View Post
propaplace, I would be very interested in have a kit cut for me. Let me know when you are ready to start. Thanks everyone for the help and answers
Greetings! The wife and I are currently in Baltimore MD for the bicentennial of the US flag. We should be back home on Tuesday and I will contact you via pm.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaplace View Post
Greetings! The wife and I are currently in Baltimore MD for the bicentennial of the US flag. We should be back home on Tuesday and I will contact you via pm.
Greetings Jalaska907! Well, the wife and I have arrived home the other day and once settled in, I went into my workshop and looked for the plans and notes of my 1/4 Nosen Champ that I had built. I'm embarrassed to say and admit I couldn't find them. I found nearly everything I looked for except those plans and notes. Over the years I don't know what I did with them or who I may have loaned them to, if I ever did!! Maybe someday I'll be able to find another set but it wouldn't be fair to have you waiting until then. I really regret any inconvenience I may have caused you.