HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Discussion
CoG on wing with huge ailerons

Simple enough question I suppose but it's confusing me, I've built a compact 3d foamie and the plans state CoG is 33% of wing chord, does the measurement of chord include the ailerons as they are huge on this model? I'm tempted to assume that as they form part of the lifting surface they are part of the chord but I'd like to be sure!

Gordon
Gordonb is offline Find More Posts by Gordonb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:07 PM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonb View Post
Simple enough question I suppose but it's confusing me, I've built a compact 3d foamie and the plans state CoG is 33% of wing chord, does the measurement of chord include the ailerons as they are huge on this model? I'm tempted to assume that as they form part of the lifting surface they are part of the chord but I'd like to be sure!

Gordon
Yessir, wing chord includes the ailerons.
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:53 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Ive just put together an SE5 lightweight that plan says is 3D capable ... the ailerons are nearly as wide as the wings they are attached to ... so CoG is 1/3rd of TOTAL ...

Think about it ... when flying straight and level are ailerons providing lift or just magically dissapeared ?

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife