HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:40 AM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
New Product
Nine Eagles Sky Climber

Yesterday I purchased a Nine Eagles Sky Climber electric glider from my local Hobbystores.

I could not resist this model, it's good looks and great price of £89.00 means that I can have a cheap soaring fix!

The model is of excellent quality. The wings are retained using a carbon spar. Two plastic clips fit into slots in the underside of each wing to hold the spar and wings in place, this makes removing the wings a breeze.

The wing servos fit nicely into plastic clips and are then retained by screws with large washers.

The horizontal stabilizer is held on with one screw. The model features a magnetic hatch on the underside of the fuselage, I am a little confused because there is a battery retaining strap in the cockpit. This hatch could be used to access the RX and wiring, a nice touch!

The manual is poor however, a beginner will have this glider together in no time. The clevis connectors are cheap and it might be an idea to replace them.

The motor was a little fiddly to mount due to lack of space in the front fuselage. The prop adapter has two grub screws to hold the adapter in place.

I have found an amusing video on YouTube made by the Silly Fokkers reviewing this glider.

Nine Eagles SKY CLIMBER (5 min 25 sec)

Specifications.........

2008mm Wing Span
Overall Length 1210mm
Flying Weight: 950g+20g
motor 2835 1050KV
ESC 30amp
Battery, 11.1V

I will let you know the results of my flight testing as soon as I can get to the field.

I intend to remove the decals, they peel off without damage. I will fit a clear transparent canopy fabricated from plastic card and a cockpit with a HobbyKing glider pilot which I have ordered. These finishing touches will really round off this model.

Look fwd to flying in some thermals.....

Charlie
chuckf is offline Find More Posts by chuckf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:03 AM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
Tips..........

I noted that the clear guide tube needed shortening inside the fuselage as it restricted the movement of the elevator servo arm.

The elevator and rudder servos need gluing into the fuselage, it would have been better to have had a light ply base to support the servos.

WARNING!!!

The wing spar needs to be orientated so the notches in the carbon spar face downwards to allow the capture of the spar retaining tabs/clips that are inserted into the slots in the underside of the wings. Your wings may depart if you neglect this detail! It might be an idea to glue one end of the spar into just one side of a wing when it is correctly orientated to capture the retaining tab!

Charlie
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:00 PM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
Successful Maiden Flight!

I managed to maiden my Sky Climber this evening. I took to the air at just after 6 pm. The glider flew gracefully out of my friends hands on the launch and climbed effortlessly into the fair weather cumulus sky. I was soon tucked into a thermal and twisting my way higher and higher into the late afternoon sky. This glider is impressive!, it's light weight and great stability combined with very low flying speeds and docile handling means that beginners could use this machine to learn to fly on.

The glider drops it's nose at the stall and has no tendency to drop a wing, very tame flying characteristics! There was a moderate breeze at the start of the evening, the model flew into wind making good headway. After a few loops and low passes I landed into wind at walking pace while using flaperons, one could grab this machine out of the air.

This glider provides for an easy and cheap introduction to the thrills of soaring flight. Nine Eagles have themselves a winner with this one!

There hopefully will be some photos to follow.

The motor produces around 125 watts drawing about 16 amps. I replaced the stock ESC with a 25 amp ESC because the stock ESC would occasionally make a screeching loud siren noise while rocking the prop backward and fwd, this can be remedied by opening and closing the throttle.

The novel spar retaining clips means that this model goes together very easily and quickly in the field with no fuss.

I am going to add a pilot and cockpit to this model,I have the materials to make my own vacuum former for molded canopies, I need a clear canopy.

Charlie
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
Nine Eagles have some low price nice models. I have the little brother. The Sky Surfer, and have a lot of fun with the little glider.

ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:29 AM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
Sky Climber-low pass

Here is a picture of my Sky Climber in flight, this picture was taken during it's maiden flight. Notice I have removed some of the decals.

This was the best of several photos taken.

Charlie
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:36 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Treorchy
Joined Jul 2011
21 Posts
Thanks for sharing, really like the look of this plane. What was the name of the store you got this plane from? I been looking online and apart from being £15 more than the £89 you got it for, it is out of stock everywhere. Typical, lol.
If i cant find this and convince the missus it'll be worth it, then will be getting her little brother.
Cheers
kevrees is offline Find More Posts by kevrees
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:43 PM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
Hello Kevrees,

I bought my model from HobbyStores in Chelmsford, most model shops should have them.

I have started customizing my glider, I have removed the decals and painted the rudder red with Tamiya acrylic. I bought a glider pilot from HobbyKing, unfortunately he is too small. I have just finished making a vac-former to create a transparent canopy for the model.

Charlie
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:47 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Treorchy
Joined Jul 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckf View Post
Hello Kevrees,

I bought my model from HobbyStores in Chelmsford, most model shops should have them.

I have started customizing my glider, I have removed the decals and painted the rudder red with Tamiya acrylic. I bought a glider pilot from HobbyKing, unfortunately he is too small. I have just finished making a vac-former to create a transparent canopy for the model.

Charlie
Thanks chuckf
My missus is a little intimidated by a 2m sailplane at the moment so we are going for her little brother, the nine eagles sky surfer
and once we both get the hang of it, and get some decent radio gear (and another champ lol) will probably move onto the sky climber.
kevrees is offline Find More Posts by kevrees
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:04 AM
Spain, Aragón, Huesca
Joined Apr 2011
135 Posts
I would be very interested to hear how this glider develops as I'm in the market for a 2m powered glider as a first aileron trainer. Seems to be a floater and nice and slow which is just what I need. And, the price is right too!

Everyone seems to recommend the EGP but the Sky Climber is considerably cheaper and I have suitable 1500/1800 3s lipos waiting for a good home and this would fit the bill perfectly if the quality is up to scratch.

If I have to start replacing ESC, servos, etc, it kind of defeats the object.
chuckf, if I do get one I would happily pay you to make me a clear canopy.

Comments welcome.

Artisan
artisan23 is offline Find More Posts by artisan23
Last edited by artisan23; Sep 01, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:04 AM
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Croix
Joined Jul 2011
143 Posts
Hi all,

is iy possible to put my own spektrum receiver in that bird ? in france, it only is in RTF version.
laurentjeuxlille is offline Find More Posts by laurentjeuxlille
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:47 AM
Spain, Aragón, Huesca
Joined Apr 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentjeuxlille View Post
Hi all,

is iy possible to put my own spektrum receiver in that bird ? in france, it only is in RTF version.
You can use your Spektrum receiver if you have a compatible Spektrum Transmitter. Just remove the supplied Rx, replace it with your Spektrum Rx, connect everything together and bind to your Spektrum Tx.

However, you can not use a Spektrun Rx with the Tx supplied in the RTF version of the model. the two systems are not compatable with one another.

Artisan.
Last edited by artisan23; Sep 02, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:16 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
So now that you've all been flying this Glider for a while, is it still as good as you first thought,

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:26 AM
Joined Oct 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
So now that you've all been flying this Glider for a while, is it still as good as you first thought,

Sean
Can I answer this one?

I love it!!! In fact after filming John's maiden (The video at the top is mine) I went out and bought it. What a super flying glider!

I am wanting a little more power and sport ability so I have just sold it to one of the other Silly Fokker members who is about to try and break my line of sight height record with it (Over 2400ft)

Anyway this is my first post I joined today and found the chuckf had posted my video so I could not resist posting here and saying thank you to Chuck for posting it here.

ATB Malc
Silly Fokker RC
Silly Fokker RC is offline Find More Posts by Silly Fokker RC
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:38 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Fokker RC View Post
Can I answer this one?

I love it!!! In fact after filming John's maiden (The video at the top is mine) I went out and bought it. What a super flying glider!

I am wanting a little more power and sport ability so I have just sold it to one of the other Silly Fokker members who is about to try and break my line of sight height record with it (Over 2400ft)

Anyway this is my first post I joined today and found the chuckf had posted my video so I could not resist posting here and saying thank you to Chuck for posting it here.

ATB Malc
Silly Fokker RC
Yeah good Vid , Great club name..

Any of you guys use the sky climber as a sloper....

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:14 AM
Spain, Aragón, Huesca
Joined Apr 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Fokker RC View Post
Can I answer this one?

ATB Malc
Silly Fokker RC
That's music to my ears!

I've watched the video many times and I managed to find a couple of others ( there's one Jurgen posted recently with 2 Sky Climbers flying indoors ).

In all the videos the model appears to be very smooth flying and I've only heard good things about it so far too.

I'm about to commence my flying assessment/instruction ( a prerequisite to flying solo ) next weekend at my local club. Once I get the all clear I will be ordering the Sky climber.

Artisan.