Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:46 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
So I had an old #11 (v1) camera.
Recorded some stuff, then upgraded it to the latest #18 firmware, just by changing the #18 bin firmware name to the #11's firmware name, and following the regular upgrade procedure.

Works fine. Things I noticed on the #18 firmware (that is running on my #11 v1) (besides that you can now configure stuff):

- colors are a lot warmer (not necessarily a good thing, but its ok, they're also warmer on the real #18)
- audio is extremely low, even when set to "high"
- pictures indeed don't seem to work.
- i didn't get any corruption when switching from dark to light background very fast, i suppose it was an issue from the #18 firmware bugs only

so if this is worth upgrading v1s? well, I guess so. the sound is usually the sound of the prop, so it's no big deal. the old fw works ok, but being able to set exposure and so on is nice. the color switching is also smoother on the #18 firmware, which I like. Oh yeah, and don't forget that you probably can't go back to the old fw
Interesting! I thought a new boot loader was necessary for the old #11's to be upgraded, but maybe all that did was change the name of the file to search for! It's not supposed to work for the newer #11's though, with some code added that can identify the camera as not being a #18.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:08 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
I've compared the audio with my recording when it was running the #11 firmware, and with the #18 fw audio set to high, I think what i said is wrong. in fact the audio level is the same. I just didn't realize my mic wouldn't pickup sound as well as my newer real #18 would.

Probably because my #11 had a long life and got some glue on that mic at some point in the past

I'm wondering if its possible to downgrade to the old #11 just by changing the name of the #11 firmware to the name of the newer #18 firmware (ie, reverse operation). Since it works pretty well I fear the brick a little tho haha.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:30 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Jan 2006
54 Posts
only 3 recordings

hi

i can only record 3 recordings who are about 6-10 minuttes log and after that when i will record it seems to turn it self off when recorded 3-4 minuttes . i hav a 16 gig memorycard onboard . any soloutions to this ?
tomin is offline Find More Posts by tomin
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:36 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomin View Post
hi

i can only record 3 recordings who are about 6-10 minuttes log and after that when i will record it seems to turn it self off when recorded 3-4 minuttes . i hav a 16 gig memorycard onboard . any soloutions to this ?
If sounds like you have simply drained the internal battery and it needs to be recharged. For longer recording you need to use an external power source.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Rocket Launch!

Hat Cam® Rocket Launch (1 min 56 sec)
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:17 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
Tony,
Are you saying it took two weeks to find the camera and rocket in those trees/bushes/plants/whatever they were?
Because as it coming down, I was thinking oh no, that does not look like a good place to land!
- B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:25 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Tony,
Are you saying it took two weeks to find the camera and rocket in those trees/bushes/plants/whatever they were?
Because as it coming down, I was thinking oh no, that does not look like a good place to land!
- B!LL!
We launched three rockets before the cam went up. All three traveled to the other side of the field. One landed on the roof of the school. I decided to cut a hole in my chute but I think that was a bad idea with the weight if the cam.

It ended up about 50 feet up, maybe 20 feet into the treeline. I went back the next day and after about three hours located the rocket. I went back every few days and yesterday I found it had had fallen to about 20 feet. After striking the branch with a few sticks I was able to knock it down.

Amazingly the #11 camera survived not just the launch but three rain storms!
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:11 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
wow cool. yeah tree's suck :-)
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:32 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
Yeah normally they jump out out in front of planes. Those ones used a different tactic and snuck up from belowthe rocket !
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:37 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
no they have their own "gravity field" a quantum singularity kind of deal that only rockets kites and planes respond too. they SUCK THEM right in and they are merciless.

oh and footballs sometimes respond too. no one knows why random quantum fluctuation thing or something.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:10 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
I just wondered if anybody found a pin for video out on the #11 once converted to #18 ?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:38 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,994 Posts
Quote:
I just wondered if anybody found a pin for video out on the #11 once converted to #18 ?
Is this technically possible ?

Does the chip support it ?

This will be very interesting for justify the update of firmware from #11 type to #18 type

EDIT:

Looking at the chip it is looking like #18 and #11 share the same Novatek chip ... on mine I can't really ready the code on it .. I can just read Novatek.

These chips have no pin exposed ... so if the board has not be designed to read this pin, then this pin will not be available ...

I did notice 4 pins next to the chip near the edge of the board ... maybe you can check with a o-scope ... or connecting a video in signal for check if any of this 4 pin can be the video out.
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Last edited by e_lm_70; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:02 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
it seems to be the same hardware except for the 8pin usb chip, but, i'm talking #11 "v1" only.
i dont know which chip outputs the video, if its accessible at all externally either, so it might or might not be possible
some other pin the chip is looking at must prolly be set to 0 like on the #18 as well
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,578 Posts
Quote:
it seems to be the same hardware except for the 8pin usb chip, but, i'm talking #11 "v1" only.
i dont know which chip outputs the video, if its accessible at all externally either, so it might or might not be possible
some other pin the chip is looking at must prolly be set to 0 like on the #18 as well
Terminology. There is no 8-pin USB chip on the circuit board, but I know you meant the 8-pin USB connector

The Novatek processor has a video-out contact. It is not a pin, so it is not exposed!
The contact is on the underside of the chip which means you can't access it unless you remove the chip itself. Removing the chip is easy with a hot-air gun, but I would say impossible for someone without professional equipment to solder it back in place. So if you try it, you will destroy your #11 - at least the chances are 99.99999..% So, V1=absolutely impossible.

According to the developer, there is some sort of dongle that prevents an upgrade of an 8-pin USB #11 to a #18. Chances that you will brick your camera are fairly high if you try this. Apparently the "dongle" was implemented because people were buying the cheaper #11 and then upgrading to #18 and asking for free cables.

A previous post mentioned changing the firmware file names. Before you consider doing this, I can assure you that the #11 V1 bootloader is completely different than the #18 bootloader, even the size of the code is completely different.....

If you use the wrong bootloader, the address space of the firmware data and code will be incorrectly indexed meaning your camera will be bricked! Just a friendly warning.....

[EDIT] I don't have a #18, but I suspect the contacts next to the processor are RS232 contacts used for debugging purposes. [/EDIT]
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:09 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
no they have their own "gravity field" a quantum singularity kind of deal that only rockets kites and planes respond too. they SUCK THEM right in and they are merciless.

oh and footballs sometimes respond too. no one knows why random quantum fluctuation thing or something.
I think Edsel Murphy has a law explaining all the above occurrences
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Closed Thread