HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:37 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
I wouldn't trust packing tape for hinges. I found Blenderm at my LHS just a few months back packaged as Dubro hinge tape.
Same here.

As far as the hinge tape, yeah, just go to your LHS and say gimme some hinge tape. You'll get the 3m stuff.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:12 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
Here's picture from Tower. Theres 5 yards on a roll so good for lots of planes!

I have used 3M Extreme packaging tape for reinforcement on corners - just little strips about 1cm wide. Just adds extra strength at tear points
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:12 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottxxxxx View Post
Hi guys,

Is one better than the other from a strength, longevity and aesthetics perspective?

From the description of the blendum tape, I haven't seen it yet, it sounds like this is a fabric tape. Does the blendum tape detract from the appearance?
Thanks,

Scott
Scott, I prefer the blenderm myself. It is about $5 a roll at the LHS but this is where I just bought some. Tell Pattern that F2F sent ya
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1182729
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:53 PM
I call it a creative landing
Texas Hill Country
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithalone View Post
hey there,

i recently used some clear packing tape on my elevator for a repair on the hinge and it worked just fine- you just have to be careful when you apply it and allow for the hinge to more freely.

i then purchased some blenderm tape off of ebay - it was only like $6 for 2 rolls shipped to me - a quick search there should yield some results -

the blenderm does not go on clear it is more translucent looking but is not bad - it seems to stick very well and gives the hinges the flexibility they need which is why i am going to use it from now on.

hope some of that helps!
Yes, that helps a great deal. Is it safe to assume you bought it from ebay because blenderm is not readily available as it once was?
scottxxxxx is offline Find More Posts by scottxxxxx
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:18 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Feb 2005
110 Posts
Hey guys, just for anyone interested to know... (oh - i'm new to planes too btw, and am totally HOOKED!!! hehehe)

My setup...
Stock 30amp ESC
Turnigy E-Drive 2820/07 920kv (heavy! was all in stock at LHS to suit plane)
Turnigy 3S 2200mah 20C lipo
APC 11x5.5 prop
DX6i/AR500

Yesterday I got 9min 30sec runtime with full throttle flying and no landing with this plane - a little longer cruising around, but forgot to time it -lol- ESC/Motor and battery ALL below 100degrees F...
An 11x8 prop is a bit quicker, but also slightly less runtime, and a bit more heat (about 7-8 minutes and all electrics at about 110-120 degrees F)

Yesterday i went flying with a mate - was pretty windy - but a fairly constant wind of about low 20's (kph)

Unfortunately i crashed yesterday also on my last pack - only from about 12ft up, and at walking pace....

I was playing round with low, slow passes with flaps on... Because the wind was blowing pretty constant - i made a pass and actually was able to cut throttle entirely, and let the plane just float about and hover in the air due to the airspeed built up by the wind...
I really should have had some throttle going tho, as unfortunately the wind suddenly dropped for a couple seconds, and it stalled the plane, and it fell to the ground - was quite amusing to see it just kinda sitting there in mid-air - i wish i had video of it! I could walk faster than it was travelling -lol-
danhfvcsd is offline Find More Posts by danhfvcsd
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:09 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
I wouldn't trust packing tape for hinges. I found Blenderm at my LHS just a few months back packaged as Dubro hinge tape.
3M Storage Tape (3650 series) is perfect for hinges. It's not Extreme tape, it's not 3M packing tape or any other variant. The 3M Storage tape is designed for long term use and it flat works on hinges. The Rite Wing 160 mph plus wings are built using 3M Storage tape. Blenderm is OK and I use it too for some foamies, but if you want strength and long term durability the 3M storage tape is the way to go.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:27 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
3M Storage Tape (3650 series) is perfect for hinges. It's not Extreme tape, it's not 3M packing tape or any other variant. The 3M Storage tape is designed for long term use and it flat works on hinges. The Rite Wing 160 mph plus wings are built using 3M Storage tape. Blenderm is OK and I use it too for some foamies, but if you want strength and long term durability the 3M storage tape is the way to go.
That's a great tip, thanks Prof... I'll keep an eye out for this stuff.

(I'll also hide it once I find some - the wife and kids think MY modelling tape is okay for their craft projects.... )

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Feb 04, 2010, 07:52 PM
Joined Apr 2008
54 Posts
External Flaps

I hope to try my external flaps this weekend if the weather cooperates. Instead of cuting the wing, I decided to make flaps out of the thin plastic lid from a fresh salid container. The flaps are the same size as recommended on this thread. I reinforced the flimsy plastic with carbon & bamboo strips. I grooved the bottom of the wing for the reinforced rods as I wanted the plastic to lie flat with the bottom of the wing. It will be interesting to see how this concept works. Later, Ed
herniaboy70 is offline Find More Posts by herniaboy70
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:47 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herniaboy70 View Post
I hope to try my external flaps this weekend if the weather cooperates. Instead of cuting the wing, I decided to make flaps out of the thin plastic lid from a fresh salid container. The flaps are the same size as recommended on this thread. I reinforced the flimsy plastic with carbon & bamboo strips. I grooved the bottom of the wing for the reinforced rods as I wanted the plastic to lie flat with the bottom of the wing. It will be interesting to see how this concept works. Later, Ed
That is interesting. Keep us posted!
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:50 PM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
onboard t-28 cam

Just so excited 'bout my first 'in camera' flight I just had to share it with you all! Sorry there's no editing, I tried to cut 2 min. from it but it ended up adding 100 mb! Go figure?! Anyway, enjoy.

T-28 with onboard cam (7 min 14 sec)
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:56 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
That's a great tip, thanks Prof... I'll keep an eye out for this stuff.

(I'll also hide it once I find some - the wife and kids think MY modelling tape is okay for their craft projects.... )

Toppers
Toppers,

Ditto on hiding the tape from the family. I found a 6 roll pack at one of the Office stores (Max I think, I don't pay attention). The only way to tell is look at the inside of the roll where is says 3M 3650 series storage tape. You can buy it on line if you shop around but make sure the series number is correct.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2010, 12:16 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
No prob. Thanks. Youre a good rcg friend for taking the time and helping an onlne bro out. Good man!!! Take your time, not real important, just curious. Not Bi-curious, just curious.
Wayne......Paging Wayne........Anyone seen Wayne????

lol... Wayne finally responed and says...

Hi...The canopy servo is an HS-55 from Hitec, the BEC is a Castle CCBEC rated at 10 amps and the flaps servos are Spectrum DSP60J. One of the flap servos is programed to work backwards. The canopy and flap servos work through Turnigy servo speed reducers. The canopy opening and closing doesn't do much for aircraft utility but it sure is cool. I taxi out to take off position with the canopy open, close it and then take off. Every body stops to watch! After landing and stopping,I open the canopy and taxi back to the flight station, just can't help showing off.
The black stripes on the wings are plastic electrician tape. As of this date the nose retract still has not come off back order.
Keep up the good work on your instructional videos, they are great.
Wayne.
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:02 PM
Snellville
Joined Oct 2009
8 Posts
T28D replacement wheels

Are there any replacement wheels for the Parkzone Trojan T28D/T28? I just read a post that a guy replaced his with the "Hangar pro lite 2.25" wheels". The plane looks better for sure....he had pics.....these stock wheels are a little lacking. My T28D came out of the box in great condition EXCEPT they packed the foam wheels too tight and so 2 of 3 wheels had a flat side....not going to land with that!
Visited my full service hobby shop and they gave me the Super Cub LP wheels for replacements. Does anyone know of a Dubro replacement? Guys at the field said that the Dubro's were too wide. This is only a cosmetic thing of course. The T28D flys like a dream, and this will never stop me from flying it. Wife just gave me the Corsair for XMAS so that's flying as soon as it gets in the lower 50's again....probably next week. Please let me know of any wheels available to replace those stock ones...Thanks.
CrashArmstrong is offline Find More Posts by CrashArmstrong
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:38 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
I would call the customer service number. They might send you a new set
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:49 PM
Snellville
Joined Oct 2009
8 Posts
T28D replacement wheels

Nah....got the problem solved for $3.....plus I got to look at FUTURE PLANES!
I dont have the time or patient to wait a week for wheels. I had to fly that plane THAT DAY! I've read a few forums where they came like that.
I guess Im going to order the Hanger 9 Pro Lite 2 1/4 and "wheel see".
If I have a problem spending $3, the I'm in the wrong sport.
CrashArmstrong is offline Find More Posts by CrashArmstrong