HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:13 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
813 Posts
Discussion
How Long Have You Been Flying Helicopters?

i was just thinking about how long i have been into flying RC airplanes and Helicopters, and it got me curious on everyone else's time in the hobby......so here's my story;

i started flying RC planes in the 60's (ya, i know i'm old! ), i flew my first heli in the late 70's (although i don't know if it counts as a flight) i bought a set of plans from ethier RCM or Model Airplane magazine, it was a plywood and aluminum heli, i had to machine the parts myself, took me about 3-mths to build, brought it out to the flying field and the first flight lasted almost 10-seconds before it destroyed itself back into a whole bunch of parts!

so, i guess my first "real" helicopter flight experience started in the early 90's with a Shuttle ZX and a Concept 30, both 30-size nitro CP helicopter's, never really got into 3D i was always happy with just sport flying

..........So, tell me, what's your story?
WhiteCloud is online now Find More Posts by WhiteCloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 08:40 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,558 Posts
I been building models for decades but most non RC. UC/ FF and very little RC.
Wanted to fly heli long time but life/ $$ got in the way. Bought and sold model stuff for 20 years and converded dust collectors to helis couple years back. Had way to many engines/ kits/ parts for fixed wing and sold most. Bought stuff I use and fly now. Mostly micros but also now minis Too !!
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Jul 23, 2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:30 PM
Heli-crack addict
Joined Mar 2014
85 Posts
I started flying a V911 about half a year ago, and since then I've quickly moved on to 4 and 6ch FBL micros

It's a much more addicting hobby then I would ever have imagined at first
Zareph is offline Find More Posts by Zareph
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:16 PM
Still crashing everything!
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
358 Posts
Home made balsa framed paper and dope covered 2 wire control back in the early to mid 60 with .049 engines. Dizzy work, I've seen the pros dog fight with streamers in demos. Those days are long past.

Started flying RC back in 1976, owned a 2 meter sail plane (2 channel) that I built myself and flew over at Torrey Pines Glider Port.

I purchased my first RC Heli in December 2013 so I've only been flying for 1/2 a year or so. My first heli was the MJX -T23, it was big but did not fly well and had parts problems almost immediately. It was enough of a taste to know that I wanted more. The smartest thing I did at that point was to joint this forum and follow some advice to start with the V911. After that I bought a couple more FP helis (V912 and V913). It wasn't long before I realized that there were limits to what I could learn on 4ch FP helis so I bought some flybarless helis and a couple of CP helis.

Now I still fly them all but I'm starting to shy away from flying the FP Flybar helis as they are encouraging poor stick management and in some cases exactly the wrong thing (throttle down in a crash). I'm still mostly working on stable orientation hovering, I've pretty much have tail in hovering under control for all birds in my hanger.

I also own few quads now, they aren't helping me with my heli flying at all.
dteel is online now Find More Posts by dteel
Last edited by dteel; Jul 23, 2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:20 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,163 Posts
I've been into r/c in general since the early 1970's and I've been flying r/c helis since 2006. I'll be 53 next month...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:27 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,919 Posts
I dreamed of my first RC heli in the early 1980's (it was a beautiful blue Robbe AS350 Ecureuil model with gas engine ... and looking back I am glad my parents were NOT "affluent" enough to let me try that ... ...)

... and I got infected with the heli virus finally in 2007 around christmas with a 2ch 10$ styrofoam heli from woot dot com.

I always cringe when I even slightly think about the $$$ that I sunk into this way of killing time ever since
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:39 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I dreamed of my first RC heli in the early 1980's (it was a beautiful blue Robbe AS350 Ecureuil model with gas engine ... and looking back I am glad my parents were NOT "affluent" enough to let me try that ... ...)

... and I got infected with the heli virus finally in 2007 around christmas with a 2ch 10$ styrofoam heli from woot dot com.

I always cringe when I even slightly think about the $$$ that I sunk into this way of killing time ever since
-Was the styrofoam heli a picoz by any chance?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:56 PM
Never let it down
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2013
191 Posts
Hi everyone
I got infected in sept'13, with a 3ch coax, Since, I think helicopter, I red heli, I eat heli, I sleep heli, I dream heli, and now I fly 2 HCP80, a Master CP BL, and soon a 4F200LM. I'd like to have ... oh, would be too long to list

As you I would never have imagined how much this hobby would spin my head now. A very complete and nice discipline

And thanks to all of you here, who contribute everyday to make people like me progress each time I read your posts
Pachapapa is offline Find More Posts by Pachapapa
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:14 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
-Was the styrofoam heli a picoz by any chance?
It was a noname "clone" but exactly "like" the picoz
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:21 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,163 Posts
Quote:
-I have many fond memories of flying those little picozs with my daughter. Thanks for bringing those memories back :-)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:23 PM
Mod it like you stole it!
Joined Jul 2009
557 Posts
Quote:
Ah.... the Picoz.....That's what i started with in '08. Was fascinated by that little thing......A dirt cheap little rc(barely...rudimentary at best) heli that you could fly about indoors.....Got bit pretty hard after that................Kato
katoace is online now Find More Posts by katoace
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:28 PM
Joined May 2014
33 Posts
Bought a 3ch coaxial out of curiosity around three years ago but gave up on the hobby because my job didn't leave me much free time. Unfortunately (or fortunately) i lost my job this year and that gave me the opportunity to make a fresh start with the v911 and bought my first cp last month. It's strange that when i had a job i could have easily bought all the helis i wanted without getting time to fly them. Now i have all the time in the world but can hardly afford maintaining my two helis. Also nice to see so many 'mature' people here. My parents need to see this thread. They think i am too old to be playing with these 'toys' all the time.
helibg is online now Find More Posts by helibg
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:36 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibg View Post
Bought a 3ch coaxial out of curiosity around three years ago but gave up on the hobby because my job didn't leave me much free time. Unfortunately (or fortunately) i lost my job this year and that gave me the opportunity to make a fresh start with the v911 and bought my first cp last month. It's strange that when i had a job i could have easily bought all the helis i wanted without getting time to fly them. Now i have all the time in the world but can hardly afford maintaining my two helis. Also nice to see so many 'mature' people here. My parents need to see this thread. They think i am too old to be playing with these 'toys' all the time.
i'm 61, my parents told me i was playing with toys also.........but they have been replaced by my wife of 40-yrs telling me i'm playing with toys

to everyone else not in the hobby its "toys" to those of us who know better its one heck of a hobby!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:41 PM
Never let it down
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2013
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibg View Post
I think that most of heli hobbyist are "mature" people, am I wrong ? Afaik, it seems to be the case in France. Is it the case also around you ? As said previously, mostly for a cost reason, as it is not a cheap hobby (that's what I have to remind each time I am about to hit the ATC button ...
Pachapapa is offline Find More Posts by Pachapapa
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:42 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteel View Post
Home made balsa framed paper and dope covered 2 wire control back in the early to mid 60 with .049 engines. Dizzy work, I've seen the pros dog fight with streamers in demos. Those days are long past.
oh my goodness! i had forgotten all about the control wire planes! i used to love those! when i was a kid, i was so proud of myself when i could fly out a whole tank of fuel without wreaking the plane i built, i also flew the Cox plastic control line planes, these did not break as easily as the balsa ones that i built.