HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:47 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
That Spacewalker came with a split foam tube. I sprayed the foam with spray adhesive and rolled it over an old, cut up t-shirt. You may be able to purchase that foam from Sig. Craft stores may have something like it, too.
Lowes and Home Depot have it. It is called backer rod for caulking joints. You will need to cut the slot in it as it comes as a solid piece. It also comes in several sizes, 1/4" 1/2" 3/4" 1" and so forth.
rjstrickjr is online now Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:23 PM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
147 Posts
Covering and paint

What I do is use Stits or Randolph all the way the same as we do on full scale.
I use glider cloth which is lighter and made to go over plywood structures.
But being A&P you know this probably anyhow.
I also am A&P IA and when I need a break or in between restorations I build large scale sailplanes.
northernlightsfl is online now Find More Posts by northernlightsfl
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:55 AM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlightsfl View Post
What I do is use Stits or Randolph all the way the same as we do on full scale.
I use glider cloth which is lighter and made to go over plywood structures.
But being A&P you know this probably anyhow.
I also am A&P IA and when I need a break or in between restorations I build large scale sailplanes.
Yeah, stits is great, but truth be told my last with it was A&P school. I remember having fun with the product/process...but it's not something I want to do again. I haven't twisted a wrench on planes in years...as I ended up flying. I bet your airplanes are absolutely beautiful!

It's a great process...and I may try it again sometime...but I'm going to just do the solartex/rustoleum thing for this plane and see how I like it.
sirzeppu is offline Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:11 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Quote:
That Spacewalker came with a split foam tube. I sprayed the foam with spray adhesive and rolled it over an old, cut up t-shirt. You may be able to purchase that foam from Sig. Craft stores may have something like it, too.
Hi there Tom,

It is very strange to notice that you seem to like nostalgic airplanes as well as I . You have or have flown a TF Stinson (I have one as well), you have or have flown both sizes of Spacewalkers, a I and II (I have a Spacewalker II as well), now completing the build of a Pica 1/6 WACO YMF and have a Nosen Mr. Mulligan and TF Cessna 182 kits to build. But my projects keep taking too long to complete because my wife says I am WAY to picky...

Anyway goo to see that you are still around.

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:02 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
Hi there Tom,

It is very strange to notice that you seem to like nostalgic airplanes as well as I . You have or have flown a TF Stinson (I have one as well), you have or have flown both sizes of Spacewalkers, a I and II (I have a Spacewalker II as well), now completing the build of a Pica 1/6 WACO YMF and have a Nosen Mr. Mulligan and TF Cessna 182 kits to build. But my projects keep taking too long to complete because my wife says I am WAY to picky...

Anyway goo to see that you are still around.

Sackie
Yes, It's true. We like the same aircraft.

I don't have a Top Flite Stinson. I have a same size IKON Stinson SR-8 I do have two Spacewalkers, and I had the Pica WACO. LOL

I'm currently building a Monoprep, a predecessor to the Monocoupe.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,322 Posts
That Monoprep is a cool build!

And I, too, am find a love for these scale models. The fleet is growing rapidly.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:03 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,205 Posts
Although not as popular as Warbirds, the Classics do have an avid following.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:45 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,243 Posts
If I might add a thought here, I did the Fighter thing for several years .I flew a Ziroli Bearcat with scale retracts that folded the legs as it folded the gear.

The constant maintenance prompted me to gravitate to the non-retracting Classics....These sweet old aircraft enjoy flying as much as we do, and they command as much attention as the warbirds.

So I'm firmly back to the ragwings that look as I think an airplane should.

The taperwing Stinsons are the epitome of the designs that make me happy,although a well rounded wing tip still catches my eye.

Next year I'll start a build thread on only the Classics- too much to finish this year.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,322 Posts
I do want to build some warbirds as well...but I am with you on the maintenance and I also find them more challenging to fly. The only larger warbird I've had is a CMP P40 ARF that required loads of work to get right and then fought with me for 3 crash landings despite the Lado retracts I spared no expense on...grass and retracts don't mix well and my skill as a pilot was maxed out just keeping the relatively overpowered bird in the air (lots of torque roll on throttle up...required at deft left hand and I was not up to the task).

I'm going to put a topflite 60 size P40 ARF together at some point, but my skill has increased since that CMP P40 and I'm hopeful I will at least be able to fly the thing.

Still, despite my best efforts, I cannot find a model I enjoy flying as much as my 1/4 Scale Hangar 9 J3. Word on the street is the Stinson will fly about the same and that makes me very happy. I've had the biggest grin ever spending a tank of fuel practicing my scale wheel landings and 1/4 throttle scale takeoffs. The classics are awesome...and while I'm enjoying the Stinson build, I can't wait to get it in the air and FLY it.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:47 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,205 Posts
Take your time while building your Stinson. It will challenge you, and it should take you some time to complete it.

It's all fun, though. Take the time to enjoy it.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Take your time while building your Stinson. It will challenge you, and it should take you some time to complete it.

It's all fun, though. Take the time to enjoy it.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm definitely slowing my usual build pace with this one...making sure things are straight and true as I go.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:10 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,205 Posts
Think things through, before adding the glue.

I'm a poet, and I didn't knowit.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Think things through, before adding the glue.

I'm a poet, and I didn't knowit.
Awesome! Ha! (but so true)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:19 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,454 Posts
Earl,
You hit the nail on the head with my experience. I've been doing the warbird thing for several years. I've always admired Toms golden age classics and now it looks like I have a collection starting from some classics that were given to me. (Nosen Mulligan, Nosen Champ, I built two busa cubs, a J3 and NE-1 Navy cub, and have a L-4 on the bench, all 1/4 scale). I find myself being drawn to the classics now since I'm more into laid back crusing around. Theres a club around here that has an all high wing fly in that I plan to attend this year.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:21 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,232 Posts
She's a great flier!
Twinwarbirdflier is offline Find More Posts by Twinwarbirdflier