Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
725 Posts
Discussion
Oops, blew a fuse....dummie

Well operator error, but the results are the same, I used an adapter to go from APP to Deans on the parallel board and the adapter was crossed. The fuse on the negative side of the output connector on the parallel board blew. Everything else is fine, but obviously the fuse needs to be replaced. I then realized they are soldered in.

Is there any reason I can't unscrew the plate and unsolder the old fuse and solder in a new one?

Greg
Greg Gimlick is online now Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:35 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
725 Posts
Okay....I'm impatient and was in the middle of something when I screwed this up so I didn't wait around for an answer. These parallel boards from FMA are really nicely constructed and it was an easy repair. The hardest part is getting the old solder out of the slot so a new fuse can be inserted. Once that is done, it's a simple solder job. Continuity checks all came back fine so it's back in business.

Next time I'll pay more attention to the adapters I grab though....idiot.

Greg
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:47 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gimlick View Post
The hardest part is getting the old solder out of the slot so a new fuse can be inserted.

Greg
I use desoldering braid or wick, depends what it's called in your country. I don't like using the suction pumps. But need to be careful not to lift the pads off the board. Thats when it gets tricky.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:42 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
725 Posts
I tried using my pump with limited results and ended up using soldering wick for better results. I finished cleaning the slot with a diamond bit on the Dremel. Everything turned out fine in the end and it checks out okay.

Another bit of stupid columnist tricks to confess to in my column :-)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:28 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
I'd be to scared to use a dremel, But another tip is to add more solder to the solder you want to remove, then use the wick to remove the lot.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:49 AM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
725 Posts
All the solder was gone except for a little left in the hole so it was just a matter of cleaning that up a bit. The diamond bit is a very fine bit like a dental tool so it was smaller than the slot it was cleaning. If it happens again I think I'll just melt the solder and hit it with 150 psi blast of air from the compressor. It might blow splatters all over the shop, but it will be clean :-)

BTW, I did try adding solder and sucking it up, but my bulb just plugged up. It's the first time I've had trouble unsoldering something like that.

Maybe I just won't be an idiot the next time and save the trouble. :-)

Greg