Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2004
137 Posts
Question
YS 140 Sport

Need some help with tuning this engine. I purchased this engine NIB from a modeler on RCUniverse. Engine arrived as described so I'm eliminating that as a problem. I been taken before buying engines sight unseen.
So far I have run 1.5 gallons of Byron 20/20 fuel through the engine using a OS F type glow plug. It is turning an APC 15X12 propeller and the engine is mounted inverted.
At WOT I'm able to adjust the HS needle valve with no problem but when I return to idle for adjustment at the low end I'm unable to get the engine to idle. At idle position it will slowly loose RPM and quit. This is an indication that it is too rich. When I lean it out in small increments it does the same thing but in less time. Either I'm doing something wrong or the metering system of the engine is defective.
I need some advice before I return this engine to the repair facility.
flycatch is offline Find More Posts by flycatch
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Flycatch hope I can help with your YS140. Setting the low end needle is in reverse of most other engines (2 strokes anyway) to richen turn clockwise, to
lean out turn counter clockwise.
needlenut is offline Find More Posts by needlenut
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,259 Posts
Yes, the low speed on a YS is actually an air bleed. The manual explains how to adjust the idle mixture.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2004
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
Yes, the low speed on a YS is actually an air bleed. The manual explains how to adjust the idle mixture.

Greg
The manual does not explain fully what most be done before the LS NV has any effect. I discovered that the barrel valve most almost be fully closed before the metering system at idle comes into play. This the manual fails to address.
flycatch is offline Find More Posts by flycatch
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:03 PM
Curmudgeon at large
Cedar City, Ut.
Joined Dec 2009
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatch View Post
The manual does not explain fully what most be done before the LS NV has any effect. I discovered that the barrel valve most almost be fully closed before the metering system at idle comes into play. This the manual fails to address.
This link will teach you almost all you need to know about tuning YS engines,

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...er/ys_main.htm

Happy flyin' Oscar
oskartek is offline Find More Posts by oskartek