Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:08 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petranf View Post
...Yes but also consider that the simple funjet needs some strenghthening in order to have a decent strength (additional carbs and glassing).
Slightly off topic in the Ultra thread, but IMHO the standard Funjet is plenty strong enough for just about any power setup whilst airborne (inc. a small gas turbine). Usually the only time a FJ will break is when they are crashed due to pilot error, or have a badly maintained or built airframe, or when people have the inability to consistently land smoothly. Strengthening an airframe always adds weight and sometimes this can have an adverse affect on an already heavy (and not always fast ) plane.
As we all know, the FJ Ultra foam is a lot more dense and heavy therefore allowing for less than perfect landings and general unsympathetic control inputs during flight.
As in the full size aircraft world, model airframes are usually designed to fly with a modicum of strength, not to be crashed or abused with disproportionate 'G' forces.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:59 AM
USA, TX, El Campo
Joined Sep 2008
118 Posts
Hey Littlephoenix, what servos did your friend use on his Funjet Ultra??? Also what was the capacity of the 4s pack?? I assume you would want to use good metal gear digital micro servos. Thanks for the video, she hauls butt.
codys is offline Find More Posts by codys
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:06 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Slightly off topic in the Ultra thread, but IMHO the standard Funjet is plenty strong enough for just about any power setup whilst airborne (inc. a small gas turbine). ...
I would not put the FJ Ultra Drive into my normal FJ. Very fast FunJets (including those with turbines) are reported to become uncontrollable at high speed. I assume it is due to a reversal of control as the wing panels get twisted by elevon inputs. Normal control is regained after speed is dropped.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codys View Post
Hey Littlephoenix, what servos did your friend use on his Funjet Ultra??? Also what was the capacity of the 4s pack?? I assume you would want to use good metal gear digital micro servos. Thanks for the video, she hauls butt.
metal gear hitec's,not sure which ones, the one above the hs65 i think...
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:08 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
357 Posts
Ok i will stay away from the turnigy motors. I use them with no problem in my parkzone planes but i guess they are under alot less stress.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:35 PM
Greece
Joined Jun 2007
139 Posts
Hello guys.
I would like to share a photo that a good friend took. It is me and the new way i airborne my funjet with no worries about unsuccesfull handlaunches
petranf is offline Find More Posts by petranf
Old Aug 02, 2010, 12:34 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,324 Posts
Who's got em?????
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:45 PM
Greece
Joined Jun 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Who's got em?????
Already answered
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:03 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petranf View Post
Hello guys.
I would like to share a photo that a good friend took. It is me and the new way i airborne my funjet with no worries about unsuccesfull handlaunches
I've found that this is the only way to get mine up in the air without causing damage too

The old one was easy to launch 'conventially' but I couldn't get the hang of the new heavyweight option and even managed to shorten the nose a bit in trying .

Loving the higher speed and NOISE of the new setup though

Cheers,
Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:12 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dick View Post

Loving the higher speed and NOISE of the new setup though

Cheers,
Richard.
Are you using the recommended Multiplex power set? Also, what throttle setting are you using to launch like that?
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:41 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
Full Power and she climbs away vertical

I've gone with a cheap £30 motor, a Vortex 26/56/3300 168g. Not really rated for this kind of fun but it seems to be working (for now anyway!).

The prop I've got on there at the moment is a Graupner 4.7"x4.7" (12mm x 12mm).

Using 4S setup (and good use of the throttle) it's all fun. We did 'tach' the prop at the field the other day at 38,500rpm and 950w.

Once she's airbourne, I can fly quite happily at half throttle and still scream around the sky, just opening her up occasionally for boosts of vertical and low passes down the strip.

My old FunJet was just wide open throttle for the whole flight and drawing less than 20A on 3S which was brilliant at the time but this new one needs a lot of restraint or the LiPo is completely flat in just a couple of minutes! With the excellent glide (weight seems to carry it around better) and perfectly adequate performance on lower throttle settings this new one really is a winner.

I weighed this new model at 940g, I'm sure the old one was well under half that weight .

Cheers,
Richard.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:50 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Thanks for the info Richard, most useful.

Now I'm just wodering if that launch technique would work with my 400W+ Microjet?
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:08 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
Best way to test is - hold it vertically and throttle up to full - release grip slightly, does it push forward, or fall back? If it doesn't push then don't try it as you won't get any air over the control surfaces to control. If it tries to push then go for it but get someone else to do it first so you get the best chance of controlling it from the off instead of waiting for your hand to return to the Tx.

400w is a lot less than I've got but how's your weight?
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:20 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
That sounds good advice, I'll try it, thanks.
BTW, the MJ weighs exactly 16ozs (455g) so the PWR is pretty darned good!
Old Aug 05, 2010, 08:31 AM
Greece
Joined Jun 2007
139 Posts
I used to airborne with a vertical handlaunch...but i have an easier way now
FunJet-SEF-2-7-2010- 001_part_1.mp4 (0 min 10 sec)

...and i weight 1050 grams

Just hear the noise...
FunJet-SEF-2-7-2010- 001_part_3.mp4 (0 min 11 sec)

And a quick pass with the wind behind...No cheat dive
FunJet SEF 2 7 2010 001 part 2 (0 min 6 sec)
Last edited by petranf; Aug 05, 2010 at 08:59 AM.