HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2008, 05:39 PM
Joined Jul 2008
829 Posts
Rave
Riva Rivarama at play

No I didn't build it

Thanks to Petej (dotcom) for the pics - turned out great.
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2008, 07:16 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,293 Posts
Awesome boat, fabulous pictures!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 07, 2008, 07:25 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Wow that's an amazing boat! Compliments to Petej!
trawlerlover is offline Find More Posts by trawlerlover
Old Oct 08, 2008, 01:13 AM
Joined Jul 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawlerlover
Wow that's an amazing boat! Compliments to Petej!
Yes he is very good- usually snaps model planes & people at the local fields.

We did luck out a bit as it was a rare sunny morning at Spreckels- it is close to the bay and usually overcast at that time of day.
Old Oct 08, 2008, 02:19 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Do you have any more pictures that we could see? I really like that boat. Just another I have to add to the build list I guess. I have too many on my list already and I just joined this forum a couple months ago. I really have to quit looking at this forum or else I'll never be able to build all the boats I want.
Old Oct 08, 2008, 03:19 PM
Registered IGG Finland pilot
Finland IGG-FIN
Joined Feb 2003
680 Posts
Hi,

Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing! What is the size of Riva?
How it is powered?
Is this Ghien made of?

Thanks again & BR,

Hannu
Hannu Vuorinen is offline Find More Posts by Hannu Vuorinen
Old Oct 08, 2008, 09:06 PM
Joined Jul 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
Do you have any more pictures that we could see? I really like that boat. Just another I have to add to the build list I guess. I have too many on my list already and I just joined this forum a couple months ago. I really have to quit looking at this forum or else I'll never be able to build all the boats I want.
Sure I have plenty of pics- and you can't build it at least there are no kits to my knowlege.

I am building a Midwest tug kit now- but this one is way beyond my current skill level- it was converted for me by H20 Hobbies but made in Vietnam.

You can buy it RC ready.

I bought it RTR but ended up investing in a 2.4 Spektrum setup because I was concerned with interference. This allowed me to shorten the antenna preserving the scale appearance.

Considering the amount of time it took to construct & the overall quality (wood & brass accents) I think it is a bargain. The craftsmanship top notch- it truly is a work of art my girfriend is buying me a glass case for it- I think I'm marrying her!

Now I'm pining for the Ariston.
Last edited by Habanero; Oct 24, 2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Yep I'm marrying her!
Old Oct 08, 2008, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannu Vuorinen
Hi,

Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing! What is the size of Riva?
How it is powered?
Is this Ghien made of?

Thanks again & BR,

Hannu
It is 35" and has a b36 water-cooled brushless motor.

Only thing I don't like is it has a relatively short run time. Not sure how to go about recitifying that without adding the extra weight of more batteries.

I'm am using 7.2's but have some 8.4 Volt batteries - but I don't know if they might harm the speed control or motor- I certainly don't want to fry anything
Old Oct 09, 2008, 07:05 AM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Where did you get it RTR? Also what tug are you working on now? I just finished the Carol Moran about a month (or so) ago. Now I'm building a Triple Cockpit, and I'm in a little bit over my head. But I plan to finish it and make it look nice anyway! Also maybe I should just PM you my email address and then you can send me more pictures.
Old Oct 09, 2008, 12:40 PM
Joined Jul 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
Where did you get it RTR? Also what tug are you working on now? I just finished the Carol Moran about a month (or so) ago. Now I'm building a Triple Cockpit, and I'm in a little bit over my head. But I plan to finish it and make it look nice anyway! Also maybe I should just PM you my email address and then you can send me more pictures.
I got it from H2O Hobbies.

I am building a Jim Wilder. I screwed up on the planking and need to get more- at this point all I'm trying to do is get it seaworthy and maybe it will look good on the water at least. A good sanding may be my salvation.

Last two pics- best I could manage with my camera.
Last edited by Habanero; Oct 09, 2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2008, 01:49 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,608 Posts
Nice. very nice looking vessel.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Oct 09, 2008, 04:10 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
oops, sorry you already answered that. Anyway is the Jim Wilder your first boat. The Carol Moran was mine. Everybody complains about Dumas but I think that the boat and instructions were reasonable. How about you? And sorry if I'm sort of hijacking the thread, even if the thread is yours (would it be hijacking ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero
but this one is way beyond my current skill level- it was built for me by H20 Hobbies.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:32 AM
Joined Jul 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
oops, sorry you already answered that. Anyway is the Jim Wilder your first boat. The Carol Moran was mine. Everybody complains about Dumas but I think that the boat and instructions were reasonable. How about you? And sorry if I'm sort of hijacking the thread, even if the thread is yours (would it be hijacking ).
It is my first build. I wanted RC but this particular kit is not for beginners I think. The directions are OK I have been able to interpret them but if I had known I would be cutting/ shaping the planks to fit the hull I might not have tackled this (I have never worked with wood at all- I'm cutting the planks with scissors).

However I like the challenge and (provided I can acquire some replacement planks) I am confident I will finish her OK.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 07:00 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero
It is my first build. I wanted RC but this particular kit is not for beginners I think. The directions are OK I have been able to interpret them but if I had known I would be cutting/ shaping the planks to fit the hull I might not have tackled this (I have never worked with wood at all- I'm cutting the planks with scissors).

However I like the challenge and (provided I can acquire some replacement planks) I am confident I will finish her OK.
As you probably figured the Chris Craft is only my second boat. The directions for it can get pretty confusing. For me I wanted to work with wood all along but I am happy that I started with styrene. Luckily my Dad had all the tools I needed (except a Dremel) so I was able to build a most of these boats without buying new tools. Did you get your Dremel yet? If not I highly recommend it, it's very helpful and versatile. I've already needed extra planks too, I screwed up the first planks , I blame the directions (and me not reading close enough ). Now I have one more question, where are the pictures of your Jim Wilder? I don't see them but they need to be here somewhere. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:04 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
It is a very nice looking boat. Rides low in the water though. File # Rivarama 6.jpg looks scary almost as if it were about to become a submarine! "Yikes".
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman