SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:51 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
918 Posts
Discussion
alternative to Parkzone Habu 2

I was thinking about getting a Parkzone Habu 2 so I went look at them and it seems they are discontinued. Would you guys suggest some alternatives. Something about the same size and flight characteristics. I am not opposed to building an ARF but would have been happy building paying the extra for a BNF. I'd prefer to stay from away from low quality stuff. I had bad luck with a Hobby King PNP Sbach for example. The components were crap. Well the motor was ok I guess.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:54 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,053 Posts
It's not discontinued, in fact you can buy it pretty much anywhere..

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=PKZ7150
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Sep 11, 2014, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
It's not discontinued, in fact you can buy it pretty much anywhere..

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=PKZ7150
not to be argumentative but just because it is on the eflite or parkzone website does not mean it is in stock anywhere. I looked at my usual places: Horizonhobby, hobbyzone, and amain. None of them even have it listed. When it is not on Horizon's website, that usually means it is discontinued. It may still be in stock at some store somewhere but I get nervous if it is not on the Horizon site
Old Sep 11, 2014, 05:27 PM
Ron - AMA 1025
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Aug 2005
301 Posts
Habu

I have a few different EDF's including the 90mm F-18, F5 Tiger 64mm, Eflite F-16, Habu (1&2) and Meteor - the Dynam Meteor is by far the best value out of all of them. About 1/2 the price of the Habu ($149), comes with solid retracts, fly's better than the Habu - I bought mine from Grayson,
ronwc is online now Find More Posts by ronwc
Old Sep 11, 2014, 05:41 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
not to be argumentative but just because it is on the eflite or parkzone website does not mean it is in stock anywhere. I looked at my usual places: Horizonhobby, hobbyzone, and amain. None of them even have it listed. When it is not on Horizon's website, that usually means it is discontinued. It may still be in stock at some store somewhere but I get nervous if it is not on the Horizon site
I never said they were in stock everywhere, but simply that you can still buy them at any reputable hobby store, and that they are definitely not discontinued.

If not in stock they can certainly order one in for you.
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:53 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2014
43 Posts
Rhodesengr

Buy the Meteor. When you get tired of 4s you can upgrade to 5s or 6s with the money you didn't spend on Habu2 plus retracts
kthadlee53 is offline Find More Posts by kthadlee53
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
and that they are definitely not discontinued.
take a look at this
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-basic-PKZ7150

looks pretty discontinued to me. I am looking into the meteor
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:21 PM
Joined Mar 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
take a look at this
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-basic-PKZ7150

looks pretty discontinued to me. I am looking into the meteor
or if you want a foamy edf with retracts for similar price to Habu2 with retracts get a ViperJet. Its easier to see and easier to land. Tape all the hinge lines and locktite all bolts and white glue all screws into plastic(they will unscrew if needed with the whiteglue)
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthadlee53 View Post
or if you want a foamy edf with retracts for similar price to Habu2 with retracts get a ViperJet.
who manufactures and/or sells the foam Viper jet
Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:15 AM
Joined Mar 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
who manufactures and/or sells the foam Viper jet
Banana Hobby 6s is $409 8s is $70 upgrade and they have sales and discounts every couple of months or so. Check out forum "90mm epo viperjet"
Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:39 AM
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined Jun 2008
465 Posts
Coming from four Viper jets and the original Habu I could tell you that if you're a first time EDF'er the current-gen Viper Jet would disappoint, mostly because it would require a lot of quality-checking and modding for it to fly well (ahem...gear sequencer, loose retracts, loose screws, ambiguous instructions, 8s version CG, iffy-PCB, etc...). Get your hands on a Habu 2 or if you can't find one, a basic simple starter jet that flies solid out of the box (e.g. Stinger 64 / 90) from MotionRC or someone who could give you some tips and support, etc...
Levendis is online now Find More Posts by Levendis
Last edited by Levendis; Sep 12, 2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:19 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,257 Posts
Once they come in stock, here's a good alternative. http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-reb...m-edf-jet-pnp/ Considerably cheaper than the Habu 2 and comes with retracts already installed. Freewing makes some pretty nice models.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
918 Posts
yeah, I am really not looking for a research project. I mostly fly helicopters but I like a fixed wing model to fly until the fixed wing guys go home when the wind comes up. 90mm is too big because once i have my heli stuff in the car there is not a lot of room left. I have several planes and flying wings. The wings work out well but don't have wheels. I figure an EDF would fill that gap. The 64mm might be ok but a tad small. Seems to me like the 70mm EDF's with wingspans in the 35" range would be good for me. So that is my thinking and where I am coming from.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:55 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,523 Posts
The Habu takes up more space than you think in your car. For something light and portable either the Squall (70mm) or Freewing 64mm panther works.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:58 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Why anyone even bothers with 64 mm is beyond me . Why not just go 70 mm ?
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon