Not sure what else to say..

http://nypost.com/2014/07/07/two-dro...pter-over-gwb/
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:06 AM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
444 Posts
Hang 'em out to dry. 5,000 feet? Stupid? Sheesh. NYC will probably move to ban them quite quickly.
Banana Furikake is offline Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:42 AM
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Apr 2014
100 Posts
Proof ya just can't educate the stupid out of some folks.

5000 feet!
SteveinUtah is offline Find More Posts by SteveinUtah
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:01 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,209 Posts
As if the FAA needed more ammo. This will not end well for those of us who follow the rules and use common sense while pursuing our hobby.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:11 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,307 Posts
The press is now primed to seize on any and all stories like this one. Look for the negative coverage to intensify.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:50 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
I find it odd how I can spend 40 minutes trying get to get up to 5000ft in a fpv skyhunter airplane, and to hear that a phantom has been flown up to 5000ft agl is well impossible!!

I would find it hard to believe that a phantom can fly over 1500ft agl but I'm sure someone has done it

Instead of believing everything going you read, question it!

Seriously! Full scale helicopter flying at 2500ft almost collides with 2x phantom "drones" I'm calling Bull Sh$t on this one
wac is offline Find More Posts by wac
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:49 AM
NJ
Joined Jan 2000
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac View Post
I find it odd how I can spend 40 minutes trying get to get up to 5000ft in a fpv skyhunter airplane, and to hear that a phantom has been flown up to 5000ft agl is well impossible!!

I would find it hard to believe that a phantom can fly over 1500ft agl but I'm sure someone has done it

Instead of believing everything going you read, question it!

Seriously! Full scale helicopter flying at 2500ft almost collides with 2x phantom "drones" I'm calling Bull Sh$t on this one
No one cares about the truth, only the headline. Its headlines such as this, generated by morons like these two gentleman, that will not only sink multi rotors but the RC hobby in general.

The witch hunt has begun! Started by the uneducated and fueled by the media and the ignorant (which are typically one and the same) . The government doesn't need much more ammo to sway public opinion and take our toys...
JDPG2 is offline Find More Posts by JDPG2
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:59 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jul 2013
106 Posts
This will be like 'gun control.' That is, punish the people following the law.
Grandpa Florida is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa Florida
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:09 AM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Hi Folks;

Like so many stories emanating from NYC and other bastions of 'free thought', this really lacks the ring of truth. How do you get a quad close enough to a full size heli to be a problem without taking a trip through the rotors, or losing control due to rotor wash. I'm really not buying this tale. Governor Cuomo said a while back that my type isn't welcome in NY. He need not have bothered, New York is another entry in places I boycott.

Jim
jimhinton is offline Find More Posts by jimhinton
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:25 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
2,228 Posts
I heard about this on a local radio station this morning and definitely unfortunate with timing. Evidently more video from a police helicopter (they didn't indicate if it was from the heli involved) was just released or soon to be. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Either way, bad judgment or bad timing.

I specifically like the lawyers comments:
Their lawyer, Michael Kushner, said that the incident was not as serious as authorities allege.
“This vehicle can’t go above 300 feet,” Kushner said. “They did nothing more than fly a kite.”
Waterbound is online now Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Waterbound; Jul 08, 2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:48 AM
United States, NJ, Hillside
Joined Feb 2014
246 Posts
Wow it really only takes a few apples... The scenario probably wasn't even that bad. But the fact that, they saw a quadcopter oops I mean drone because that's what they are dubbed, by people who have no clue. Why would you fly 5,000 ft and not only that. You fly it off a bridge, in city where two planes crashed into one of the biggest buildings on the eastcoast.

Pure stupidity in my book, yes it would be nice to fly above the clouds, but the big boys have that space locked down. And with more and more air travel there are more planes in the air than ever before. So I'm fine with staying closer to the ground and low altitude flying.
abgolden is offline Find More Posts by abgolden
Last edited by abgolden; Jul 08, 2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: .
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:20 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,177 Posts
How high do you have to be to go cloud surfing on a Phantom?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:11 AM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
342 Posts
A Phantom can fly straight up for ~20 minutes. Making 5,000' is well less than the altitude it can achieve. Being close enough to a manned helicopter to be considered a threat to safety is not difficult to do. Simply be at the same altitude or one close and moving in the direction of the helicopter. Or be close enough to be visible and the pilot of the helicopter will view you and your aircraft as unpredictable and therefore dangerous. There are published rules for flight operations and multirotor operators have not bothered to learn them. Full scale pilots know this so you ARE a threat to them if flying at their flight levels.

I have no doubts this event happened as stated. On July 3 some fool was flying his MR at 3,600' inside the Birmingham, Alabama airport traffic area. That's a very busy commercial/civil airport. The airport issued a flight safety warning to full scale pilots at and near the airport. The MR flyer was caught.

RC aviation hobbies are experiencing a severe threat of extinction, almost 100% due to people flying multirotors. Of that percentage probably 90% of the issue is related to Phantom flyers or users of MR's very similar in appearance.
PatR is offline Find More Posts by PatR
Last edited by PatR; Jul 08, 2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2014
149 Posts
It is getting to the point to where R/C (drones, UAV, helis, planes, etc) will need to be treated like guns. Go through a background check to make sure you are not a total idiot, take a class to learn how to not be a moron, learn the basics of FAA airspace, then you can buy and play like the rest of us with common sense.

Anyone want to join me in putting out a PSA?

Nick
nickr1977 is offline Find More Posts by nickr1977
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:01 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR View Post
A Phantom can fly straight up for ~20 minutes. Making 5,000' is well less than the altitude it can achieve.
Good point. The Phantom can climb at 6 m/s (~1,181 feet per minute). 5,000 feet would only take just over 4 minutes climb to achieve.

Another issue with these guys is that on the NYC side of the GWB they are in the Class B airspace for LaGuardia. Out over the river near the GWB there is a VFR flight corridor used by all kinds of aircraft that tops out at 1,300 feet. Of course, at that time of day there was only the NYPD heli out and about.