HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2013, 02:03 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
134 Posts
Question
source for FF glider

hello all,
looking for a 20"+ wingspan balsa/wood FF glider my son can toss around at the flying field. We've been reading a comic about the life of a young boy and his love of planes, where he spends his time chucking a balsa plane in a field w/ friends...anyway, I am trying to find a similar FF glider: it's very simple, basic, and stick like (story is set in the 1940s so you can imagine how it looks...) The closest I've come across in the Graupner Mini from Airfield. I love the design, but if I can find something just a little bigger that would be great...
Thanks,
Christian
vascoboy is online now Find More Posts by vascoboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2013, 03:37 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
Just do a Google on Hand Launched Glider plans, and BINGO, you will find dozens of them to build for both you and your Son.........Have fun, get building NOW.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
595 Posts
you might want to consider building a slightly smaller catapult launch glider, or if you do like bigger then make a 20 inch or so wing span bungee launch glider, the bungee can just be a simple 12 foot length of 1/16 or so rubber bands followed by about 30 foot or so of carpet thread, you can really get a good zoom launch ton of fun for sure
larryg is online now Find More Posts by larryg
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:40 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,196 Posts
fyi

http://retrorc.us.com/Gliders.aspx

jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:45 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Unless your boy is big and has the arms of a linebacker I think you'll find that going with a more standard 18 inch span is just fine.

Sticking with 18 inch span also allows producing two wings from a sheet of 1/4 inch good quality light wood as well.

Trimming hand launch and catapult launch gliders is a whole art in itself. And it starts with some decisions on the building board in terms of stab tilt and washout angles cut into the dihedral break joints based on being right or left handed for the throw.

Some of the 50 vintage Zaic yearbooks have a whole hockey sock worth of nostalgia era designs for hand launch gliders. If you want to make something of the proper vintage we could scan a few and post them.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:35 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
134 Posts
wow...thanks!

thanks great info all...I love vintage era gliders/silplanes so please post any plans you have of hand launch gliders. I'll check out that link w/ retro designs as well. Thanks for the tip about wingspan: i probably will stick to 20" or less. Right now he's tossing around foam gliders, and will do this for hours...
christian
Old Dec 04, 2013, 11:29 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Perhaps you should start by telling us just how old your boy is. Your request for plans for bigger designs suggests he's older and just about full adult size. But your last post about throwing foamies around for hours of enjoyment suggests someone more youthful.

I ask because it's great fun to make models that gyrate around doing some aerobatics before settling into a short glide. But such models are a lot different from a model that is built and trimmed then thrown for pure duration.
Old Dec 05, 2013, 08:46 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
134 Posts
he's only 4...

and loves RC planes...he has lots of fun tossing his foamies & paper planes, for hours at a time. He's got everyone at the flying field tossing. I want him to have fun with FF before getting into anything else. Funny thing is he's revived my liking for FF...
Old Dec 05, 2013, 10:03 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,196 Posts
more of the same

one of my favorite rc kit makers - stevens-aero - sells "junior" FF glider kits so i thought i would pass along the web link to their kits also, js

jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Old Dec 05, 2013, 04:35 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
A boy of four does not need bigger models. Bigger means more fragile. And they don't really fly all that much better.

Far easier to build LOTS of simpler stuff as shown above in the 6 to 8 inch span range.

You can also have a lot of fun with him by building not only regular designs but delta wing models and "flying saucers". They are all big fun and the stubbier the model the more durable it'll be.

The only real rule is to put the tail on with about 3 degrees of negative incidence relative to the wing. Or on delta wings and round wing "flying saucers" you want to make sure you use some trailing edge reflex to ensure pitch stability.

The simple and tough looking models posted in jswain's post above if done at around 8 inch span would be marvelous.

It's not that hard to make your own designs up. And great fun since you are not risking a big bunch of money. You simply need to make sure that the tail is slightly negative to the wing or that there is some up elevon on flying wing style models.

Here's one I did up in about 15 minutes while eating some lunch.
Old Dec 05, 2013, 05:03 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
Sounds to me like there may be TWO people to be entertained here. And in that case bigger might be justified. Larger gliders can be thrown from a high place, launched with bungee, towed, etc.
Outerzone is a good place to look for things like this:
http://outerzone.co.uk
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4426
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4401
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_files_03...Thermic_20.pdf
The Zaic books are full of this stuff as well.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2013, 05:53 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
That was just too cute to avoid. Here's a picture. I'm pretty sure it took me longer to decorate with the little felt pen and blue highlighter than to actually build it.

A 1 1/2" finishing nail shoved into the nose acts as a good start on the nose weight as well as some reinforcement for the nose. I drilled a 1/16 hole and then shoved the nail in.

As far as it can go in my basement it seems to be pretty close to in trim. It's a fast flyer though when done with the 1/16 surfaces and if heavy wood is used. But it IS durable.

A lighter and slower flying version would be to make the wings and tails from light 1/16 and sand it down to 1/20. Or start with 1/20 sheet if anyone can still find it. Or make the wings from sanded down 1/20 and the tail parts from 1/32 and the fuselage from 1/8. But then it would hardly be likely to withstand the tests a boy of 4 can provide....

A 10 inch version built from blowing the plans up by 125% at Staples or Office Depot onto 11x13 and done using the same sizes of wood is likely to fly better (slower). But at the cost of some degree of durability. The oversize version would require the use of 4 inch wide sheet for the wings and tails.
Old Dec 06, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined Jan 2007
595 Posts
That Jet looks vantastic . reminds me of an old tread where some fellows built some free flight bungee launched foam/balsa jets for fun.
larryg is online now Find More Posts by larryg
Old Dec 06, 2013, 10:10 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,221 Posts
There's a lot of threads about catapult (read: rubber band) launched gliders at:
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...php?board=59.0

And hand launch:
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...php?board=60.0
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:48 AM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
200 Posts
Im new to this stuff, an dont know much but I am trying to learn all that I can in 1 short year. I would love it if someone would clue me in on some designs that work well, and maybe some articles or books that I could read on how to do this, my time designing, building, and flying sailplanes doesn't seem to help!

Thanks
Pi squared is offline Find More Posts by Pi squared